• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The secret of consistent ball-striking!

winders

Sep 23, 2006
dave,

As what was asked???? What are you talking about? You might want to take your time reading what was written. No where did I say anything about full release before impact so don't say that is what was asked. Here is my text for clarity:

"What about releasing the hands? Does this not start well before impact?"

Then, you said:

"....it definately does not start before impact,its after,well after..."

Your answer is clear, and in my mind, wrong. You are back pedaling now and may continue if you want.

For the release to have any effect on the club face and club head speed at impact, it needs to begin BEFORE the ball is struck.

You said:

"Any decision to manipulate the hands during impact is a recipe for disaster."

I am sorry, but the hands are being manipulated during impact, at least on a full swing anyway. The club face is going from open to square to closed as it goes through the impact area.

Scott

demon

Hybrids are for girls
Oct 29, 2006
dave,

As what was asked???? What are you talking about? You might want to take your time reading what was written. No where did I say anything about full release before impact so don't say that is what was asked. Here is my text for clarity:

"What about releasing the hands? Does this not start well before impact?"

Then, you said:

"....it definately does not start before impact,its after,well after..."

Your answer is clear, and in my mind, wrong. You are back pedaling now and may continue if you want.

For the release to have any effect on the club face and club head speed at impact, it needs to begin BEFORE the ball is struck.

You said:

"Any decision to manipulate the hands during impact is a recipe for disaster."

I am sorry, but the hands are being manipulated during impact, at least on a full swing anyway. The club face is going from open to square to closed as it goes through the impact area.

Scott
You are correct, the club has to begin releasing prior to impact or you will have an open face but ideally you would like to be fully released past impact since your momentum should be greatest just past impact then deceleration.

winders

Sep 23, 2006
You are correct, the club has to begin releasing prior to impact or you will have an open face but ideally you would like to be fully released past impact since your momentum should be greatest just prior to impact then deceleration.
demon,

Thanks. I thought some of what was being written here did not make a lot of sense. And I completely understand and agree that full release should happen past impact.

Scott

demon

Hybrids are for girls
Oct 29, 2006
demon,

Thanks. I thought some of what was being written here did not make a lot of sense. And I completely understand and agree that full release should happen past impact.

Scott
I think you were just getting a little more technical then dave.

Spev

Jan 2, 2007
Onplane,

That's the best impact analogy I've ever heard and now felt!
What are some of the drills to help me transfer my natural baseball swing to my golf swing?

OP
O

onplane

PGA Teaching Professional
Jan 1, 2007
David,

What about releasing the hands? Does this not start well before impact? If I did what you suggest, I would lose distance and have a really big fade....

Scott
You are right if you did not rotate your body like a baseball player to the point that your body squared the clubface. (hold a paddle. Bend your right wrist back about 45 degrees or so and hold it there. Now turn your body 45 degrees to the left. Did this not square up the clubface?)

Take an axe. Stand by a tree. hold it in both hands and swing it back. Is your right wrist bent? Now hit the tree. What does your wrist look like now. If it is shattered from the impact, and you are in unbearable pain you probably "started to release your hand well before impact"!

I don't see a released flat right wrist in any tour players swing at impact unless they are left handed.

Does this help?

3in2out

Apr 11, 2005
Thanks for the tips, helps provide a pretty good visualization over the net..lol

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
What about releasing the hands? Does this not start well before impact

Winders,as you can see,I can read.I have no idea what upset you so much but I am glad you got there in the end.I can only give answers based on my own experience,if they are a bit confusing then all you have to do is ask.

Spev

Jan 2, 2007
Onplane,

Thanks for the great analogy! What are some of the drills to transfer my baseball swing to my golf swing?

Thanks!
Spev

OP
O

onplane

Jan 1, 2007
I am not sure if you are talking to "dave", or "onplane"?

dave,

If the hands don't start to release until well after impact, the release did nothing to affect the shot. The release, assuming you did the right thing taking the club back, is what squares the club face at impact and provides additional club head speed.

I just read in Jack Nicklaus' "My Golden Lessons: 100-Plus Ways to Improve Your Shots, Lower Your Scores and Enjoy Golf Much, Much More" that he doesn't think you can start the release soon enough on the downswing. I am sure that is a mild exaggeration, but it makes the point clear.

My Pro is working hard on my release because I do not start the release soon enough on my downswing.

Scott
I think the thing to grasp here is the difference between what you see happen, and the intent of the one doing the swinging.

If I tried to swing a bat as fast as I could, I would be trying to release everything to unload. Visualy what it would look like though is quite different!!!

You wouldn't see the full release until after the ball even though I was trying to create speed!!

Our mind knows how to coordinate all of this by using things in sequence...body...arms...hands last! We get in trouble when we destroy this sequence and focus on the wrong thing.

What you are intending to do (think) and what you see happening are often quite different and should not be confused.

It is possible to have the intention of releasing my hands as early as possible (IF my body can deliver them far enough into the downswing), and still have a bent right wrist at impact.

This is David Czaja (Onplane) not dave

OP
O

onplane

Jan 1, 2007
I've got some articles to show you.

Onplane,

Thanks for the great analogy! What are some of the drills to transfer my baseball swing to my golf swing?

Thanks!
Spev
If anyone would like some articles I've written on either "hand action", "practicing standing up aka Stand-Up Fundamentals", or "impact", e mail me and I'll send them to you.
[email protected]
I've put some pictures nobody has ever seen. I'll show you what name tour players would look like if they were making their golfswings standing up!!! The pictures are worth a 1,000 words.

Send me an e mail and I'll send you an article (free of course!)

OnPlane

winders

Sep 23, 2006
onplane,

You wrote in regards to the hands:

"Educated hands" is a little easier. If you had a ping pong paddle in your hand the motion you want to make is side to side, not a twisting one. In a golf swing all that really needs to be done is set the ping pong paddle back on the backswing, and then do NOTHING until after impact.

The hands only make one move (in reality it's a little more but still only feels like one move) until after the ball is struck!!! Pretty simple."

Can you reconcile this with the need for the hands to start releasing before the ball is struck? Because the strong implication here is that NOTHING involving releasing the hands should happen until after impact.

Scott

OP
O

onplane

Jan 1, 2007
These articles will help. Great pictures!

Onplane,

Thanks!
Spev
If anyone would like some articles I've written on either "hand action", "practicing standing up aka Stand-Up Fundamentals", or "impact", e mail me and I'll send them to you.
[email protected]
I've put some pictures nobody has ever seen. I'll show you what name tour players would look like if they were making their golfswings standing up!!! The pictures are worth a 1,000 words.

OnPlane

OP
O

onplane

Jan 1, 2007
drills are in article

Onplane,

Thanks!
Spev
[email protected]

OnPlane

cypressperch

Jun 24, 2006
Toledo Bend Lake, Louisiana
Country
United States United States
A lot of this is a fresh, clear way of presenting

concepts that are not new. Example: If one has a tendency to slice by going over-the-top, an old cure has been to take several baseball swings and then assume a golf stance and make a swing. Like it was said, we are "hard wired" to make a powerful and accuracy-producing baseball swing, and it probably does come as a result of standing upright. Bending over distorts things that come naturally with the more upright baseball swing. Also, you may have heard of taking swings while on your knees or sitting in a chair to achieve the same result.

The idea of a baseball swing to hit a homerun being like a draw swing, or a line-drive baseball swing being like hitting a straight shot, and the grounder producing baseball swing being a fade or slice producing swing---That is a new one on me, but just thinking about it tells me that it is correct and also of use.

There are some Golf Digest videos by the so-called Top 100 Golf Instructors (some of them). There is a drill called the 15-10-5 drill in which you make a swing 15 inches over the ball, then 10, then 5, the you hit the ball. This drill is taking you gradually from an almost upright posture (like in baseball) down to golf posture. That drill works and is in keeping with what we are correctly being told here.

Good impact position with the baseball swing come naturally or at least more naturally than with the golf swing. You release the bat without, in most cases, having ever being taught how to. What a great shortcut to a well-timed golf swing, by "swinging baseball style" then just bending over in a golf posture and making the same movement.

Now I need to check and see if there is anything new at the short iron problem post.

Thanks for the insights. Sincerely, Cypressperch

Members online