• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The Secret

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
OK guys, rather than new clubs, I've invested in a few lessons this year, the main focus being on grip, alignment, posture and impact position. Its always tough to build in changes, the horrible few weeks where everything feels awkward, with shanks, tops, scuffs, snaps, pushes, skys etc. You feel like a beginner, like walking away. But I've worked reasonably hard this year at it and the signs are coming through over the past few days that the game is picking up.

• Grip - significantly strengthening my left hand. This has been tough, felt very weird to trust it.
  • Alignment - I have a tendency to open my left shoulder. It's a trust issue.
  • Posture - I've been working hard to get more athletic over the ball
  • Impact position - I need to turn my hips rather than slide at impact. This has been a headwrecker for me. But one that I think I might have solved or at least improved upon.

All of these moves have been quite technical. But what I found last night that really helped me was lightening my grip pressure. I think that sub-consciously, all these changes had me putting a death grip on the club, with my veins bulging. I was reading about Lowry's recent success with his wedge, mainly based on a light grip and I started thinking about that. Wow, things took a lovely turn last night. The ball was flying off the face. I finished my round with x4 threes (-2) on a grogeous summer's evening, with everything working.

Back to the secret. Lessons, working hard, lighter grip and enjoying golf. Simple really!

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Going through a similar metamorphis with the driver. Had lost considerable distance. Could still compete, distance wise, with the rest of the geezers in our group. When moving back to longer tees... just became hard work.
We had a gentleman join us on one course in Minnesota. He had to be at least my age... or older. Would take one practice swing at what seemed slower than slow. Came through the ball so smooth and effortless. The ball would fly mine by 80 yards and he would be outdriving the young flat bellies. I began watching his set up and form. Decided my grip was way too weak. And, I have always used a 10-finger grip. What I noticed was that his interlock did not seem to move from the time he began his take away. With my 10-finger, I have been trying to roll that right hand and it has cause me to come over the top. The couple of days we've been back, I strengthened my grip and used the interlock. The club comes back and through with no gyrations. Hit two drives Tuesday that had the guys thinking I must have hit a sprinkler head!! Yep! I ended up too far left on a couple drives. Still, the biggest percentage of my drives were loooonnng… compared to where I had been. Hope it continues.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.