• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The Tour Championship

Hoganman1

Feb 10, 2018
Charlotte, NC
Country
United States United States
Does anyone else not like the Tour Championship format? It seems like they change the FedEx Cup every year. I used to like the tournament because I love East Lake and having only 30 players is kind of cool. However, when they went to the thing where the number one point guy starts at ten under they lost me. I guess some people like it, but it seems contrived. Granted some great players have won but for me winning majors is still the ultimate. I guess they're trying to insure that whomever wins at East Lake is also the FedEx Cup winner. It was weird when there were two champions sometimes. Anyway, I'll probably watch because there's no college football yet

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I honestly really haven’t paid attention to the FedEx cup standings or so called playoffs since they started. I didn’t get it, doesn’t make sense to me and it will never take the place in terms of importance as winning a major. It’s like winning the money list, great but did you win a major? I bet Monty would trade all 7 (or however many) Order I’d Merit titles for one major.

I think we all know which players had a great year, I don’t need FedEx point standings to tell me.

OP
Hoganman1

Hoganman1

Feb 10, 2018
Charlotte, NC
Country
It is all about money. This may change, but golfers are not remembered for their career earnings. Look how long it has taken for The Players Championship to even be mentioned in the same sentence as the majors. Plus the funky format is just weird. I guess the person with the highest point total does deserve something, but I doubt if we will ever see a champion come from the last ten slots. Why is Billy Horschel even playing? Answer: he gets a check for showing up.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
It doesn’t bother me as much as it used to. If you want the person who wins the tournament to be named the Champion, you have to give some kind of advantage to those had a better regular season. NASCAR does something similar, but it goes beyond a single event. I guess the only way to do it without adding strokes would be to make it match play with seedlings, but then you would be limited to 16 participants for a four day event.

OP
Hoganman1

Hoganman1

Feb 10, 2018
Charlotte, NC
Country
Another way to view this is: what if DJ doesn't win even with a two shot lead going into the tournament? Will this be viewed as another epic failure?

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
It's purely about money...sponsor's money, making more money off the tour, not player's income. The Best of the Year should simply be the player who made the most money during the year, period, regardless of where they won it. Yes, that means no preference for majors, but majors factor into GOAT which I think is enough.

🔥 Latest posts