1. Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The Uncanny Power of Social Media

Discussion in 'No Golf For You!' started by Louie_T07, Nov 27, 2016.

1. Louie_T07

Louie_T07 Well-Known Member

Canada Canada
    The better half and I were attempting to take advantage of a fairly decent weekend here in Southern Ontario. We were going to attempt our yearly Christmas light set-up. While she was at work yesterday I began the preparations for my trip onto the roof, we have two long strings to span the front eve. I found all the lights and needed extension cords plus zip ties, things were going super smooth! I got both strings of lights untangled and all the clips were in place and in good shape. I went forward with testing the strings...

Here's where s*it hit the fan. I plugged the first string into an outlet, of the 100 bulbs, probably 40 of them lit up... I tried the second string, again maybe 60 lit up. Ok, I had some spare bulbs and fuses that came with the strings. I spent about an hour replacing bulbs, fuses and nothing was working. I plugged a spot light into the end of one string and it lit right up, so power was going through the string, but not lighting up the lights?? Both strings were like this!! At the 2 hour mark I was starting to loose my cool, I took my rage to social media! I posted a tweet mentioning both Canadian Tire, where I purchased the lights, and Noma who is the manufacture. I also mentioned this is the second year in a row that this has happened and that both times, the lights were less than a year old!!

Within 10 minutes I had a handful of replies from folks who have had similar problems or the exact same problem with their Noma lights. The Mrs even chimed in from work, she wasn't happy!! 15 minutes after posting the tweet a representative from Canadian Tire's customer service Twitter account contacted me. I was given a direct number to call. They asked me a couple questions about where I purchased the lights, when, product code info and specifics about the problem. I was also asked if we kept the receipt, thankfully after the first time we had! Both strings are being replaced in store today without questions...

I took a lot from this whole experience; first the sheer power of social media, now kinda scares me. I never even imagined all this would have transpired from a single tweet and crappy photo. Second, true customer service still exists! I was thrilled with the response I received from Canadian Tire and how quickly they did so amazed me! I also took from this the importance of hanging on to a receipt. Especially for those things that could fail, like string lights!!

2. PaPaD

PaPaD Club ho, geezer........ Supporting Member

United States United States
    I can't tell you the number of times I have been in the middle of struggling to repair or replace something in one of the cars or around the house and been saved by You Tube or a forum on some site. The other day I was programming the Homelink system on SWMBO's car and we had left the manual in VA. Same manual is in PDF on-line as well as many YT videos. Our phones, PCs and the Internet are tools on the info speedway.

3. limpalong

limpalong Mental Ward Escapee Supporting Member

Seems customer service in an oxymoron anymore. Glad to hear you found a retailer who is actually interested in retaining customers... by treating them well.

4. Louie_T07

Canada Canada
    On that note, it's very uncommon to find good in-person customer service. This morning returning the faulty lights was a whole new adventure. I caught myself loosing my temper on more than one occasion. Simply because no one in the store was willing to help you out! Very sad!!!

5. subsonic

subsonic Well-Known Member Supporting Member

We are in a weird place.

A majority of consumers want the absolute lowest price and the best customer service. The two have a difficult time existing in the same business.

I am curious to where the pendulum swings in the future. I hope towards better products and better service. I am willing to pay more for both.

6. Fairwaysplitter3320

Fairwaysplitter3320 Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again. Staff Member Admin

Admin Post
    AGREED!!! I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for.

7. PaPaD

That's why I go to Chik Fil A

Fairwaysplitter3320 and ejdahl21 like this.
  8. ejdahl21

ejdahl21 Never Lay Up Supporting Member

I agree. The times I've been there, the kids working actually seem genuinely pleased to serve you.

Fairwaysplitter3320 likes this.
  9. limpalong

We've found that with Culver's. When traveling, we actually seek them out. Have never been unhappy. And, no matter where we've eaten in one, the staff makes you think you are their very best customer. And, their Reuben sandwiches are some of the best I've eaten.

10. Wi-Golfer

Wi-Golfer Golfer on hiatus. Supporting Member

The internet can be a salvation for questions you may have, just avoid asking them on FB since that seems to be the worst of the worst. Seriously I would bet 99% of the people are either trolling or simply regurgitating some bs they read elsewhere and now they believe it has become gospel. Some of the gun pages are the absolute worst and filled with trolls and assholes.

Fairwaysplitter3320 likes this.
  11. Rockford35

Rockford35 Shark skin shoes Staff Member Admin

Canada Canada
    I would pay double for the lights NOT to shop at Canadian Tire. That is the store that I resort to if I have no other option. And they are well behind stealing on that list.

R35

Louie_T07 likes this.
  12. Wi-Golfer

They sell lights at a tire shop?

13. Louie_T07

Canada Canada
    Unfortunately in our little town we don't have many options. Here in Alliston we have; Canadian Tire, Walmart and a TSC

14. subsonic

I think that the Kids at Chik Fil A are not looking at the job as a career either.

15. limpalong

So many of this generation are not looking for a career. They are looking for whatever is easy and convenient. Conference call yesterday. I have told the firm I regret taking this last... LAST project and may not even see it through to the end. I turned 70 in November and am tired. They told me we were close to getting an $11 million project in Arkansas and I was the only one who could handle it. If I retire, they will have to pass on competing for the project.
    I told them in no uncertain terms that I would NOT take another project! There is NO WAY I'll commit to a 2 years project in Arkansas! They tossed dollars at me and I just laughed. NO!! Can't you understand that word???
    When they said I was the only person who could build it, my reply was... "There are over 400 other people in our firm. It's not that they 'can't' build it. They won't build it!" No one will live out on the road today. No one wants to spend years in contentious situations, caught between contractors and clients. And, no firms will spend the money to train people in the skillset required to take over from many of us "boomers" as we contemplate retirement. The mindset is there that they can hire recent college grads who can perform as well at a lesser cost than those experienced... until they find an area where one has to have experience and education in a number of varying disciplines.
    I can understand the reluctance to spend too much training personnel due to the lack of commitment by employee to employer. The reverse is true since we don't find much commitment from employer to employee. Hence, we get poor quality end products from unskilled or uninterested employees.

Sorry! Rant off......

16. azgreg

azgreg "Don't count that." Supporting Member

So limp, are you going to take the project?

17. subsonic

You may have missed my point.

18. Wi-Golfer

So looking forward to retirement, unfortunately still have 8 or so years to go. Am more than willing to give up a bit of $ since between our 2 SS checks and the 401k we should be more than fine. Especially if I can convince my wife we need to move where its warm and cheap. She has already said she would be fine with someplace like Puerto Vallarta or possibly Panama.

I too don't want any more long term projects. Been working on this one at work for the past 3 years and its getting bogged down by bs details from a couple of the so called "engineers" in our home office. We still have 2-3 yrs to go until full production if we ever make it that far.

19. PaPaD

Retirement is beyond awesome...................

20. PaPaD

Maybe, but the product and services are top notch.