• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The Uncanny Power of Social Media

subsonic

Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2008
So many of this generation are not looking for a career. They are looking for whatever is easy and convenient. Conference call yesterday. I have told the firm I regret taking this last... LAST project and may not even see it through to the end. I turned 70 in November and am tired. They told me we were close to getting an $11 million project in Arkansas and I was the only one who could handle it. If I retire, they will have to pass on competing for the project.
I told them in no uncertain terms that I would NOT take another project! There is NO WAY I'll commit to a 2 years project in Arkansas! They tossed dollars at me and I just laughed. NO!! Can't you understand that word???
When they said I was the only person who could build it, my reply was... "There are over 400 other people in our firm. It's not that they 'can't' build it. They won't build it!" No one will live out on the road today. No one wants to spend years in contentious situations, caught between contractors and clients. And, no firms will spend the money to train people in the skillset required to take over from many of us "boomers" as we contemplate retirement. The mindset is there that they can hire recent college grads who can perform as well at a lesser cost than those experienced... until they find an area where one has to have experience and education in a number of varying disciplines.
I can understand the reluctance to spend too much training personnel due to the lack of commitment by employee to employer. The reverse is true since we don't find much commitment from employer to employee. Hence, we get poor quality end products from unskilled or uninterested employees.

Sorry! Rant off......

You may have missed my point.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
So looking forward to retirement, unfortunately still have 8 or so years to go. Am more than willing to give up a bit of $ since between our 2 SS checks and the 401k we should be more than fine. Especially if I can convince my wife we need to move where its warm and cheap. She has already said she would be fine with someplace like Puerto Vallarta or possibly Panama.

I too don't want any more long term projects. Been working on this one at work for the past 3 years and its getting bogged down by bs details from a couple of the so called "engineers" in our home office. We still have 2-3 yrs to go until full production if we ever make it that far.

subsonic

Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2008
Maybe, but the product and services are top notch.

My point is they are using it as a stepping stone to bigger and better things. The 30 year old at McDonalds is pretty much at the Apex of their career.

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
United States United States
My point is they are using it as a stepping stone to bigger and better things. The 30 year old at McDonalds is pretty much at the Apex of their career.
I know. When I typed my response we were in a discussion about getting value for your dollar.......not career planning.

🔥 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online