• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The USGA is encouraging golfers to tee it forward

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
United States United States
So I read an article about this and I've decided to do just that.

The next time I play, I'm going red baby! That's right, all the way up front. I don't care how many looks I get. It sounds like a load of fun! I'm going to do it on a course that is already short too, hahaha. The funny thing is, I still probably won't be able to shoot par. We'll see.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
I've done it a few times with some buddies just for $hits and giggles. I'll tell you what, it changes the course a lot more than you think it will. Not just club selection, but stratergy, perception, it becomes a whole new course on some holes. Takes some hazards out of play, but brings others into play you never thought of before.

Try it, you'll enjoy it.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Honestly, I've played from the reds with my wife, simply because it was easier(and faster) for us both to hit from the same tee's. Especially if it's busy.

I don't shoot any differently. At least not on the courses I've played that way. I do play different clubs, but i don't score any differently.

The only holes i saw any difference on at all were the holes that the red tee's didn't have a blind tee shot. Which are few and far between.

shep3470

Apr 5, 2009
Omaha, NE
The course I play most of my rounds at has a sign up that tells you which tees to use based on your driving distance. I have no problems with people playing longer tees if they are not holding things up. The people that bug me are the ones that hit it 250ish and think that somehow they can get a 3 wood to clear a creek at 280 yards with the green another 20 yards in front of that, on a par 5.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Since my illness, if I didn't feel strong enough to play the whole course, I've played it several times from like PW in, 125 yards on in. Got me out of the house, and has done wonders for my short game. :)

OP
anonymous golfaholic

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
I've done it a few times with some buddies just for $hits and giggles. I'll tell you what, it changes the course a lot more than you think it will. Not just club selection, but stratergy, perception, it becomes a whole new course on some holes. Takes some hazards out of play, but brings others into play you never thought of before.

Try it, you'll enjoy it.

All I can do is daydream about golf, so I've already thought out my strategy for the course I'm going to play, lol. Playing the red is going to change it dramatically. The course is only 6100 yards from the tips and from the reds it will play 4500. Hahaha, it's going to be so easy. I'll be able to drive EVERY par 4 and one of the par 5's. The longest par 5 only plays 310 from the reds. It's only a 9 hole course. Playing the ladies tee won't knock the teeth out of this course though because it's tight and the greens are very undulated. But still, if I can't break par there is something wrong.

Clark, you must have played a difficult course...either that or you chip and putt like my wife, lol jk. ;)

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
All I can do is daydream about golf, so I've already thought out my strategy for the course I'm going to play, lol. Playing the red is going to change it dramatically. The course is only 6100 yards from the tips and from the reds it will play 4500. Hahaha, it's going to be so easy. I'll be able to drive EVERY par 4 and one of the par 5's. The longest par 5 only plays 310 from the reds. It's only a 9 hole course. Playing the ladies tee won't knock the teeth out of this course though because it's tight and the greens are very undulated. But still, if I can't break par there is something wrong.

Clark, you must have played a difficult course...either that or you chip and putt like my wife, lol jk. ;)

I don't typically play from the blue's...or the blacks...white's are my tee box.

The red tee's around here only give maybe 10-20 yards on a par 4(most times less), so typically, that's only going to be the difference of one-two clubs or so into the green for me. Definitely not enough to make a huge difference. Actually, the ones that do give you a huge advantage over the whites, hitting driver puts me in that half wedge area which is worse for me.

Par 3's around here typically the reds are on the same box as the whites...so maybe 5 yards difference...nothing of notice there(for me anyway).

The par 5's give around 30-50 yards or so, which gives me a good chance at reaching them in two...but it's a long shot into the green with the second. Where i would lay up and try to put it close from the whites, from the reds i'm typically off the green with a nasty chip/pitch because i hit a 3-4-5i into the green instead of a wedge. So i'm either off to a side, or hit the green and bounced off the back. I have a hard time holding greens with anything above my 6i. Especially when it's an elevated green, like most par 5's are around here.

OP
anonymous golfaholic

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
Was just giving you a hard time bud.

I'll probably shoot about the same as I usually do when I go red...even playing the short track that I referred to.

BushwoodCC

Jan 5, 2012
Playing it "Forward" is actually a really good idea - particularly for those folks who don't get to play often. I'm an 8 index, and I took a relative out to play on the day that my club was having "Play it Forward" day. He only plays a a few times a year (less than once per month), so I encouraged him to play from the next set of tees up (approx 5,900 yards). It worked really well for us, and after the round he told me it was the most fun he has had playing golf in years.

OP
anonymous golfaholic

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
Well, I finally got the chance to play some golf this year and man, was it nice! I think the end of October, was the last time that I've played last...I maybe wrong. Either way, it's been too long.

I did play from the pink tees and I felt like a stud, hahaha. I was 3 under thru the first 4 holes and I missed 2 putts inside 6 feet! I cooled off after that and the rust started to show, but I still finished at 2under after 9 holes. It was so nice getting some swings in...felt great. But I feel like playing the reds cheapened my experience a little. I felt like I didn't get my moneys worth. I know one thing...I'm ready to play some real golf.

OP
anonymous golfaholic

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
I think I'm going to take off from work tomorrow and play 18. It's been so nice here this week. Tomorrow it's supposed to be in the 60's and sunny with 5mph wind. My wife will bitch but it will be worth it. ;)

OP
anonymous golfaholic

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
Took off work yesterday to play golf as planned. PERFECT weather, pristine course and I played unbelievably well. Probably the best round I've had in 2 years. Life is good! :)

Why is it that every time I take a break from golf, I come back playing so well? It makes no sense. My friend did the same thing a couple of weeks ago. He didn't play for 22 days and went out and shot his 1st ever bogey free round...a 67.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.