• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The World Cup

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I totally agree about the dives and the suntans. How about if a player has 20 seconds to get up (that's twice as much time as a boxer gets after being punched in the face). Failing that, he MUST be stretchered off and stay out of the match for 5 minutes. He can be subbed for, or the team can play without him for the 5 minutes.

And while I don't think that video replay should play a big part in the game, since I think it would disrupt play too much; I do believe that there needs to be some form of review for any calls that result in either a penalty kick, or a red card. Those calls just influence the match too much, and need to be made certain of.

OP
Adam Pettman

Adam Pettman

Nov 3, 2005
Eracer said:
And while I don't think that video replay should play a big part in the game, since I think it would disrupt play too much; I do believe that there needs to be some form of review for any calls that result in either a penalty kick, or a red card. Those calls just influence the match too much, and need to be made certain of.

I dont think that video replay will ever play a part in live football although I think it should be used more to review the important decisions made in the match ie penaltys and red cards, this would allow the referee to be advised as to what to do in future, and a wrongly given red card should be taken away.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Eracer said:
But Arena and the US Team's key players are really the only one's to blame.
I didn't want to say it for not wanting to sound like sour grapes, but I fully agree. I thought Arena was terrible this World Cup and would not miss him if he is replace. I'm not sure Donovan did any more this World Cup than did Beasley. Actually, I thought Convey had the best performances and showed the most constant hustle of anyone out there next to maybe McBride, and they subbed him out for Beasley against Italy, and didn't start him this game.

Only scoring 2 goals in the 3 games should be indication enough that maybe it is time to re-evaluate if you have the best coach and are fielding the best team. It seemed like their defense performed well enough against Italy to play a 3-5-2, especially when you know you need a win in one of the 2 games.

Personally, I'm not sure a guy like Freddie Adu would not have provided some excitement that this team needed to get the team and the fans into the game, regardless of his size and maturity.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
On to the round of 16.

Germany easily handled Sweden. Don't know if Germany is just getting scarier, or if Sweden just couldn't play at the next level. BTW, where was the red card on Sweden's Edman when he so obviously tried to break Podolski's ankle in the 29th minute?

Argentina - Mexico was a pretty stellar match. Both teams came to play. I thought Argentina got hosed at the end of regulation with the offside call that negated the goal. He was definitely not offside. But they ended up winning. And what a shot by Maxie Rodriquez! One of the best goals I've ever seen. I thought this match was going to be a "dive-fest" since that seems to be the Modus Operandi for both teams, and there was a bit of that, but I thought the ref did a good job overall in this one. Finally a ref let two good teams play, while keeping control of the match.

OP
Adam Pettman

Adam Pettman

Nov 3, 2005
I was wishing Mexico would win and make the tournament a little bit less challenging. But no such luck, Come on England for later today.

OP
Adam Pettman

Adam Pettman

Nov 3, 2005
Quarter Finals here We come. Not a great performance but who cares we won.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Why do soccer/football players looks like they've been taken out by a sniper in the 75th row when they get tackled? That's so weak.

I also think that's a major reason why North America hasn't adpoted soccer/football as a major sport. They're trying, but until all the pussies get out of soccer, you're never gonna see it big over on this side of the pond.

R35

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Should be a great quarter final match between Germany and Argentina. I am thinking that the winner may come out of that match up if they do not kill each other.

Brazil vs. Ghana is intriguing. Could be an upset if Ghana continues its streak of fine play.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Another England snooze-fest. Sorry England fans, but Ecuador was flat, and England just "found a way" to win. I know it's the win that counts, and English fans have a right to be happy that their team is in the quarters, but Portugal is next. Let's step it up, lads. Portugal will be missing a couple of players, but they're still playing better.

What a disgusting game between Holland and Portugal. Both teams had more than their share of dirty play, dives, fake injuries, and time-wasting. Portugal was bad. Holland was ridiculous and should be sanctioned. Kuyt is the new Maradona. A dirty player and a whining crybaby. Too bad he doesn't have Maradona's talent.

The announcers here complained about the ref. I don't know what else he could have done besides thrown ten players out on each team, since only two players on each team played fair, and even the keepers had their moments.

I'm glad Portugal won. Just too bad it had to be so ugly.

I hope Brazil - Ghana is a good match. It's going to be really tough for Ghana with Essien out.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Eracer said:
What a disgusting game between Holland and Portugal. Both teams had more than their share of dirty play, dives, fake injuries, and time-wasting.
I only saw the highlights, but I think the penalty they called on Holland in the box, when he got cleated in the shoulder may have replaced the Mastroeni Red Card and the Ghana Penalty kick on my list of the worst call's I saw in the world cup.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
FKA Pa Jayhawk said:
I only saw the highlights, but I think the penalty they called on Holland in the box, when he got cleated in the shoulder may have replaced the Mastroeni Red Card and the Ghana Penalty kick on my list of the worst call's I saw in the world cup.

I've got the game on my TIVO, and I'm recording it to DVD, so that I can preserve it as the premier example of what the game of soccer should not be.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Eracer said:
I've got the game on my TIVO, and I'm recording it to DVD, so that I can preserve it as the premier example of what the game of soccer should not be.
I may have to watch the Ghana~Brazil game tomorrow. I think Brazil will most likely win, as I am sure does most of the world. Although I do think it is going to provide Brazil a wakeup call. I think it may be alot closer than most think and a 1 goal defecit would not surprise me. Although between Ghana and Brazil laying on the turf, we may see a record set for injury time.

The Italy~Australia game today was interesting, not the way Australia probably wanted to end their first 2nd round in injury time. I do think the bookings have been entirely out of hand this world cup, although it took the ref in the game alot of stones to make the call he did, and I think it was the right call. At first glance, I thought OMG here we go again, as it was the same ref from the Ghana~USA match, but after review I thought he made a tough call that could go either way.

edit 1 - not a call I would have wanted to make even with a replay, so I certainly couldn't fault the ref.

golfman2760

Aug 25, 2005
im an Australia citizen but I was supporting Croatia because im of Croatian heritage

when Croatia didnt qualify to the final 16 I was upset but took it on the chin..

Australian supporters are sore losers in sports and always blame the referee or foul play when they lose, that is one thing I hate about most Aussies

you lost just f**king accept it

I cant believe a HUGE majority of Aussies were dellusional to think the socceroos were gonna go all the way, what a f**kin joke!

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
FKA Pa Jayhawk said:
I may have to watch the Ghana~Brazil game tomorrow. I think Brazil will most likely win, as I am sure does most of the world. Although I do think it is going to provide Brazil a wakeup call. I think it may be alot closer than most think and a 1 goal defecit would not surprise me. Although between Ghana and Brazil laying on the turf, we may see a record set for injury time.

The Italy~Australia game today was interesting, not the way Australia probably wanted to end their first 2nd round in injury time. I do think the bookings have been entirely out of hand this world cup, although it took the ref in the game alot of stones to make the call he did, and I think it was the right call. At first glance, I thought OMG here we go again, as it was the same ref from the Ghana~USA match, but after review I thought he made a tough call that could go either way.

edit 1 - not a call I would have wanted to make even with a replay, so I certainly couldn't fault the ref.

Haven't had the chance to watch the Australia-Italy match yet. But I sure have heard some kicking and screaming from the Aussie fans. It's always tough to see a game decided by a penalty at the end. Also a shame that this World Cup is going to be remembered for its refereeing controversies, and not the play on the field.

Go Ghana! (we just love an underdog, eh?)

golfman2760

Aug 25, 2005
Eracer said:
Haven't had the chance to watch the Australia-Italy match yet. But I sure have heard some kicking and screaming from the Aussie fans. It's always tough to see a game decided by a penalty at the end. Also a shame that this World Cup is going to be remembered for its refereeing controversies, and not the play on the field.

Go Ghana! (we just love an underdog, eh?)

hey if the Aussies got the penalty in the dying seconds instead of the Italians do you think the Australia fans would be upset, blaming the ref and mafia?

Members online

No members online now.