• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The Yale report......

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
On my way home from dinner I was thinking of a way to describe the day in a way that would be suitable for the event......flabbergasted springs to mind. My comments would not be related especially to the competition but to the course.

I met Irish golfer at the yale course about 1:45, what an absolutely charming gentleman! That's the first thing. We paid the fees, I picked up a yardage book as well as a tag along golfer and off we went......we walked.

In light of the history of the place it seemed like the only thing to do, it was a mistake. The Yale golf course is brutal....do not take that term lightly, the terrain is lofty and unforgiving, 16 of the tee boxes are elevated such that they resemble ancient Aztec temples, by about the 8th one I was looking for the high priest in the hopes that he would rip my heart from my chest and end the pain.

The fairways were likewise up and down the likes of which you can only dream about....There were no amenities at the turn, no water, no gatorade, no hot dogs....nothing, suffer.....on we went.

The greens.......oh, the greens. I remember 9 in particular.....180 or so over the water to a funky double green divided in the middle by a 10 ft. deep trench which is actually part of the green. guess where I ended up? I felt as if I'd need a driver to get out of the hole.

The course kicked my ass and so did IG, although he did spend ALOT of time making superb bunker shots.;) I don't know what the final score was but I think if Ihad gotten the full 23 I'd have won. :D

I'll see about getting some pics up before I collapse.

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
Congrats, IG. And congrats Sling on a day well spent. Kudos to both of your for being such charming gents.

Farquod

Short Game Tragedy
Mar 8, 2005
Sounds like IG earned his spoils.... Well done. I hope you got a pic of that green!

OP
Slingblade61

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
The spoils

P1010003.JPG

IG and the spoils

P1010002.JPG

OP
Slingblade61

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
Number 9

The text from the yardage book, "playing from elevated tees you face another water carry to an enormous ywo tiered green some 64 yards deep, this green slopes left so playto the right side. A deep groove cuts the green in half. Ending up on the pin side of the groove is the key to surviving this hole. Good Luck!"

We were playing from the blues, yardage here was 213.

9afar.JPG

closer

9close.JPG

in the pit, that's IG walking up to his ball, sort of gives you an idea. :)

inthepit.JPG

That's all I have the energy for tonight, I'll post the rest tomorow. ZZZZZZZ..............

AMcNeel

Awesome
Feb 23, 2005
cheese and rice, i think i would have gotten my wedge out and just chipped up that son'bitch

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Very, very sweet.

I'd take a 26oz of whiskey over a turkey any day of the week.

Well done IG, and Sling!

I think this thing in November could be huge if it all comes together...

R35

MAHALLEDAY

Mikey Dangerous
Nov 29, 2004
Nice pics, I loo kforward to seeing the rest the green is just BA-rutal, that architect musta been crazy.

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
that is awesome, there would be so many options for your tee shot if the pin is below the ridge as shown, you would just have to try to spin one back on that green, if it was up top, you better not leave it short, Is there a rule about using clubs other than a putter on the green?

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
thats what i thought, i remember watching highlights during a tournament rain delay, and i think i saw a green with a bunker in the middle, and i saw john daly pitch over and hole his shot while on the green

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Sling:

Great Pix so far...

My course here is known for its 'two level' greens but I must say that you certainly have a new definition of Two Level Green there that I am not familiar with!!

Good God Man - it's the equivalent of a hazard if you hit the upper and need to go down.

IN any event - I wish you had taken your full handicap on this. (Recall my post when you nobly took only 12...)

These "get togethers" are really special.

Loop

Aug 27, 2004
WOW!!!!!
Absolutely great!
I long to play that tough a course....
You guys had one great day.
Sweet dreams Sling :)

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
So who's gonna bring this Irishman down?

Who's man enough to knock this guy off his effin pedestal already?

How many times do we let him come to our country, beat up on our boys and go home with our whiskey? How long can it be before our women come up missing too? :usflag:

Good report Sling, congrats IG, bring on more pics. You're right Rock, November will be great if we can pull it off.

🔥 Latest posts