• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Thinking about dumping most of my gear.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
Have only played twice in the last 12 months and have zero desire to play right now. Probably going to sell off 2 sets of clubs and bags, will keep one set for if the desire comes back.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I have played once in the last 12 months. Sold almost all of my gear at the end of last season. I used to enjoy buying and selling on eBay but eBay has become geared more toward the eBay store and large seller now- it's not worth it to sell even 8-10 times a month now.

I picked up a second job on weekend about 2 months ago and don't see playing anytime soon, truth be told I dont miss playing as much as I thought I would. Immay get back into the game next season, but for now imam content watching occasionally (very occasionally-like majors only) and talking golf here.

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
I think most of us go through the same thing. We stop playing for sometime whatever the reason there is, and leave Shottalk to be our only "golf related" link to the world. After some time, when people start talking about something you will feel the urge and come back.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
At certain points in life, our interests can change. Many years ago, I was a 'gun nut'. I had a FFL, bought and sold firearms, reloaded (handgun, rifle, and shotshell), and could quote you ballistic data on most every cartridge that was available. That interest waned and golf stepped in. After a number of years, golf still reigns... but, it's not the illness/passion/craziness is once was.

Today, I play golf for mostly the social value. If I only played to excell at this often frustrating sport, I'd be giving it up also. Used to be, anytime the auto moved, the clubs were in the trunk. If I had a few extra hours in the day, I'd find a course somewhere and play. The company of many great folks was enjoyed... and a few not so great folks were tolerated... as I walked onto courses to play this game. Today, the interest of playing courses across the land is gone.

Yesterday was the first day of our 2-day members tourney. What great fun! Joking and visiting with dozens of folks, over catered brisket last night, saw the usual stories of grand accomplishments and grander hiccups suffered during the opening round. Today, will be just as much fun. Our regular group can have from 3 to 10 guys show up on weekends. We have the first tee time every Saturday and Sunday. If we have mroe than 5, we break into two groups. There is friendly competition... but the real fun is the telling of jokes and stories and bantering between all. We play to enjoy the game... and enjoy the company.
One of the guys who was in our group for 3 or 4 years retired and moved back to Pennsylvania. He's been back there over two years and isn't playing at all. He says he's tried to find a group and can't find anything like he became accustomed to while playing here. He's gained weight. His health isn't what it was. When visiting via e-mail or phone, he sounds genuinely depressed over losing the social networking he once had playing a stupid game.

We'll be meeting relatives from Minnesota in Sioux City, IA in a couple weeks. The girls will go shopping while the guys play a couple rounds of golf. For two cousins, this will be one of only 2 or 3 rounds they play a year. For a couple of us others, we play regularly. Doesn't matter, it's for the time to enjoy family and friends.

I look forward to a continuing of playing this great game. Certainly, about every other round I threaten to sell my clubs and take up checkers... or shuffleboard at the nursing home. Then, I understand how much fun we have every weekend and am not about to give up that opportunity to share a smile or laugh with some great guys. Every now and then... like yesterday... a 'magic' round will appear out of nowhere and the game itself is fun again.

OP
Wi-Golfer

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
I picked up a second job on weekend about 2 months ago and don't see playing anytime soon, truth be told I dont miss playing as much as I thought I would.

That's the way I am right now, don't miss it and there is no feeling or desire to go out and play.

I think most of us go through the same thing. We stop playing for sometime whatever the reason there is, and leave Shottalk to be our only "golf related" link to the world. After some time, when people start talking about something you will feel the urge and come back.

I don't doubt this at all, that's why i'm not going to get rid of everything. Will keep the cleveland irons but dump the Titelist and Marumans.

At certain points in life, our interests can change. Many years ago, I was a 'gun nut'. I had a FFL, bought and sold firearms, reloaded (handgun, rifle, and shotshell), and could quote you ballistic data on most every cartridge that was available. That interest waned and golf stepped in. After a number of years, golf still reigns... but, it's not the illness/passion/craziness is once was.

My interest for the last year has been weightlifting, really been getting into it and enjoy reshaping my body into what I feel it should be. Also my motorcycles, the desire to ride more has come back finally, it was gone for a couple of years.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
If I were playing at all these days, I'd be all over that FT-i. But I'm so wrapped up in my kid's activities and work right now that my clubs haven't been out of the house in waaayyy too long.

Of course, you're probably not selling the driver.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Kids activities and work...I hear that!! That seems tombs the trend my life is heading, and my daughter is 4!! Totally worth it though!!!

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
Today, I play golf for mostly the social value.

This is where I am at. I have a good friend that I have been playing weekly with a many years. If it wasn't for him, I doubt that I would have played yet this year. That said, I still shot a 78 with 4 birdies 2 weeks ago. That is extremely fun, no matter what your interest level.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
The one time I played last year I shot an 86 from the tips- don't get to impressed the tips only make the course 6500 yes or so, just wanted to sound cool saying I played from the tips! Anyway, that was a personal best on that course for me and after an 8 month layoff I figured the stars aligned!

At this point all I have for equipment is 2 wedges, a putter, and a borrowed driver. No irons-not that I need them! LOL

I still love coming here and talking golf though! It's about time for a blades vs cavity thread or a why you can't putt unless you have a Scotty thread!

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
This is a very depressing thread..... :frown:

You said it man! You guys are killing me!

I think I just love playing so much because I don't get to play as much as I used to. My time will REALLY be limited for a while...my wife is pregnant with our 2nd. Hahaha, I may be selling some clubs before too long too. But you can bet they won't be my gamers. ;)

kow_ciller

Master of the 3-putt
Mar 3, 2005
I know how it is.
I'm just now getting back into golf after 3 years of not playing at all.

Played once this year, ended up buying a set of irons and a couple hybrids.
Driver is getting considerations too. I think its safe to say that I'm addicted again.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
You said it man! You guys are killing me!

I think I just love playing so much because I don't get to play as much as I used to. My time will REALLY be limited for a while...my wife is pregnant with our 2nd. Hahaha, I may be selling some clubs before too long too. But you can bet they won't be my gamers. ;)

Y'all please excuse me while I cry y'all a river. I know life changes, trust me, I know it all to well. I would give anything to get out and play with my old playing partners. Problem is, they all work, play at 5:30pm everyday. The heat here is unbearable at that time of day around here. On top of that, they all walk, I've got a GREAT 3 wheeled push cart but lack the energy to push it, and feel like the odd man out riding with them.

Having said all that, AS SOON AS I am ABLE I WILL be back out. For now I'm stuck hoing equipment I can't even hit, so to borrow a line from Clark, "y'all suck it up Buttercups", :D

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
This thread comes up every now and then...actually i started one not too long ago. Interests change, no doubt about it. Fishing is my current #1 interest. Then probably motorcycle, then golf.

I still play for the social factor. Getting out on the course with good friends is a great time.

I used to spend a lot of time practicing and really trying to make my game better to shoot lower scores, now i just have fun while i'm out there because I have fully realized that i'm not talented at this game so why ruin a perfectly fun round because i'm not shooting the best.

Members online