• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Thinking about dumping most of my gear.

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
The problem I am reading in this thread is that nobody who is quitting, feels like quitting, has quit, or might quit has mentioned their involvement in their course's men's club.

Join the men's club at your local club and start playing the game the way it was meant to be played. To compete.

Moreso, the social aspect in unrivaled in a men's club. Everyone there is there because they like to compete at golf.

"But I have this group of four of us that play once in a while." Bleh. The same guys all the time? Ish. Who is the club champion? First flight winner?

In a club, you are flighted by your performance. So you get to duel with others who are similar to you in handicap. In mixed events, you get to play with better players, and worse players. You get to know the guys very quickly. It's golf afterall. Spend 5 hours with a teammate that the computer throws you with and the next time you see them at the club, it is VERY easy to say hi.

In a club there are smaller groups of guys that go out and play EVERY DAY. At my club there are two or three skins games I could get into every day. Big skins games on the weekends and this doesn't include the club events. The bigger games end up so lucrative, that you want to practice to play well to make some money once in a while.

Not to mention the club championship. It is the highlight of the year. One tourney to get your name on the plaque. And not just for champ flighters. There are plaques for every flight. Winning gets you respect at every level.

Once you feel your interest wane, think about joining your local club. It really is never too late. "But I don't know anyone". You will. Guess what? It is all golfers in the men's club. And a guy that plays golf, even semi-seriously, can't be all bad.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
This is an interesting view. I bought a "gold pass" this year to a muni that let's me play another muni that has two 18 hole courses and a nine. That's three 18 hole courses and a nine (that can be played twice for another 18). I can go anytime with a cart. But the sad part is I have no one to play with that I know. At least very often. I've been joined with many other golfers, all of who were enjoyable to play with but something is still lacking. The club tourneys mentioned above got me thinking. My only reservation is that when I'm under pressure to perform I totally suck. When my score doesn't matter in the scheme of life I can shoot low. I never had this problem shooting competitive archery (two state championships, a 5-state great lakes sectional and 17th out of 800 of the nations best shooters at the national tournament). This is an extremely tough game. So right now I'm torn between competing in tourneys and club events vs exposing my nervous golf game. A game too horrendous to be seen by anyone.

OP
Wi-Golfer

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
The problem I am reading in this thread is that nobody who is quitting, feels like quitting, has quit, or might quit has mentioned their involvement in their course's men's club.

As has been mentioned before, tastes change and life moves on. You aquire other interests and golf takes a back seat for awhile which isn't a bad thing. Add in the costs associated with this game and I don't think anyone would disagree that it can be an expensive hobby to pursue, and it's not hard to take a break every now and then.

My only reservation is that when I'm under pressure to perform I totally suck. When my score doesn't matter in the scheme of life I can shoot low.

Jerry, the only pressure is what you allow yourself to put upon your self. It's a just a damn game, go out and enjoy it and who cares about the score? My best rds have been when I absolutely did not care about playing and was concentrating on other things going on. The score made zero difference to me and I shot lights out.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Can't afford a club membership at this point-although your point is well taken. I need some time away though. I need to focus on family, money and health. I have a 4 1/2 yr old daughter who is to fun now! Im working 2 jobs to keep us afloat. I need to quit smoking, lose weight and get my back healed from the herniated disk-still some lingering affects from December... golf could help with that though I may need a push cart! :)

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
This is an interesting view. I bought a "gold pass" this year to a muni that let's me play another muni that has two 18 hole courses and a nine. That's three 18 hole courses and a nine (that can be played twice for another 18). I can go anytime with a cart. But the sad part is I have no one to play with that I know. At least very often. I've been joined with many other golfers, all of who were enjoyable to play with but something is still lacking. The club tourneys mentioned above got me thinking. My only reservation is that when I'm under pressure to perform I totally suck. When my score doesn't matter in the scheme of life I can shoot low. I never had this problem shooting competitive archery (two state championships, a 5-state great lakes sectional and 17th out of 800 of the nations best shooters at the national tournament). This is an extremely tough game. So right now I'm torn between competing in tourneys and club events vs exposing my nervous golf game. A game too horrendous to be seen by anyone.

I used to be the same way. I had to teach myself to play under pressure. You get used to it eventually.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005

Join the men's club at your local club and start playing the game the way it was meant to be played. To compete.

Moreso, the social aspect in unrivaled in a men's club. Everyone there is there because they like to compete at golf.

"But I have this group of four of us that play once in a while." Bleh. The same guys all the time? Ish. Who is the club champion? First flight winner?

In a club, you are flighted by your performance. So you get to duel with others who are similar to you in handicap. In mixed events, you get to play with better players, and worse players. You get to know the guys very quickly. It's golf afterall. Spend 5 hours with a teammate that the computer throws you with and the next time you see them at the club, it is VERY easy to say hi.

In a club there are smaller groups of guys that go out and play EVERY DAY. At my club there are two or three skins games I could get into every day. Big skins games on the weekends and this doesn't include the club events. The bigger games end up so lucrative, that you want to practice to play well to make some money once in a while.

Not to mention the club championship. It is the highlight of the year. One tourney to get your name on the plaque. And not just for champ flighters. There are plaques for every flight. Winning gets you respect at every level.

Once you feel your interest wane, think about joining your local club. It really is never too late. "But I don't know anyone". You will. Guess what? It is all golfers in the men's club. And a guy that plays golf, even semi-seriously, can't be all bad.

100% agree... love the pressure, love the fun tournaments also.

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
The club tourneys mentioned above got me thinking. My only reservation is that when I'm under pressure to perform I totally suck. When my score doesn't matter in the scheme of life I can shoot low. I never had this problem shooting competitive archery (two state championships, a 5-state great lakes sectional and 17th out of 800 of the nations best shooters at the national tournament). This is an extremely tough game. So right now I'm torn between competing in tourneys and club events vs exposing my nervous golf game. A game too horrendous to be seen by anyone.

Here is a secret for you, we all suck. Even the good players get nervous and stink it up from time to time. If any of us were any good, we'd be playing one of the various tours for a living. And even those guys stink it up under pressure. See Rory at The Masters. DJ at the US Open, the Shark at the Masters in 1996, Van de Velde on 18 the list goes on and on. Embrace the pressure and understand that ALL of your fellow competitors are experiencing the same nerves. Some are better at masking it and some have better swings that produce under pressure, but for the most part, how you deal with the nerves is totally mental.

I'm sure when you were shooting you still had nerves. But you trusted your stroke to overcome the nerves and you were better at it than most everyone in those competitions. Some of them may have been better archers than you in practice, but come game time it is who can handle the nerves and perform. You obviously had that in that sport.

I just love the competition. Nothing makes me enjoy a round of golf more than playing, but having that overlying pressure of peer review. Where you know whatever score you shoot is going up on the big board after your name. Shoot high, you know you'll hear snickers, shoot low, you'll get praise and respect. Everyone involved knows how hard it is to perform under pressure, so when you do shoot low in a comp, it is something to REALLY be enjoyed.

And the best part about club level golf, besides the comaradarie among other guys with the EXACT same hobby as you, is that most all events are handicapped. So now you don't NEED to shoot a low score. You only need to play to your handicap most of the time as there will be PLENTY of folks that can't under pressure.

On the 4th we had an ABCD event. I shot my 4 handicap, our B shot 2-over with a 6, our C shot 1 stroke worse than his 14 handicap, but our D had an awful round and shot nowhere near his 16 handicap shooting a 24 over 95. We were ahead of the game through the first three guys, but you also need your D player to perform to have a chance to get in the money. Even though we finished out of the cash, I had a great time. I played terribly and still shot my cap and really didn't help the team much. But playing with guys with different handicap levels, and ages, as a team is always fun. I'm 39, our B is 72, our C is 19, and our D was 52, I think. Different generations, different skill levels, but all united by one goal, trying to play a good round of golf and make some money. Together. Straight up fun.

If I were you I would join the mens club at one of your courses you have a pass at. Soon; as most club championships are right around the corner. Enjoy the pressure. It is a different animal than the mild pressure of a $2 nassau with your buddies.

LeftyHoges

I've got the pants that'll make you dance!
Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
2 things enter my mind when I read this thread.

1. Very depressing, by the time I finally come over to the states for a holiday none of you guys will be playing anymore so we wont be able to get a game in.

2. Augster is the new CypressPerch. And we all listened to him intently.

Listen to Augster.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Augster, thanks for that. It reminded me of shooting side by side with my closest competitor at my first state championship, a guy who'd been around. When I was at full draw, he "cut the cheese" loudly. If I was a beginner or didn't have a "drive" I'd either have blown the shot or started laughing but it made me MAD. In my mind any a**hole that would try that trick was going to be taught a lesson. Instead of breaking my concentration he put it into overdrive! I BURNED that scope dot into the bullseye and that arrow and most of the rest went dead center. The match was no longer close. I destroyed him! And won the state championship. If I could discover how to pull the right strings with my golf swing in a similar situation I'd be hard to beat. But I haven't yet.

Next question. How do you get your handicap established? Do you have to join the USGA? Or is there an online thingy that I can enter scores that will spit out my handicap that will be legit in these tourneys?

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Just so you guys know, I have been listening to Augster for years :). If I could be notified anytime he and Bignose make a post, I would be delighted.

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
Augster, thanks for that. It reminded me of shooting side by side with my closest competitor at my first state championship, a guy who'd been around. When I was at full draw, he "cut the cheese" loudly. If I was a beginner or didn't have a "drive" I'd either have blown the shot or started laughing but it made me MAD. In my mind any a**hole that would try that trick was going to be taught a lesson. Instead of breaking my concentration he put it into overdrive! I BURNED that scope dot into the bullseye and that arrow and most of the rest went dead center. The match was no longer close. I destroyed him! And won the state championship. If I could discover how to pull the right strings with my golf swing in a similar situation I'd be hard to beat. But I haven't yet.

Next question. How do you get your handicap established? Do you have to join the USGA? Or is there an online thingy that I can enter scores that will spit out my handicap that will be legit in these tourneys?

When you join a club, usually the USGA handicapping is included. Our men's club is $110 a year plus $10 for events etc. etc. depending which events you play. The $110 goes to grow the pot a little, but also covers your USGA GHIN service, food and "free" drinks at a few events, and usually a scholarship for a junior to play in the club for free for the year. The club will get you set up with the GHIN service, and you just post your rounds at your course or on any GHIN computer. Or even online.

Some clubs don't use GHIN. I know one men's club in Superior does their own handicapping. It's the same formula's etc., the scores just aren't passed on to the USGA and the WGA. I'm sure it is to save some fees going to those orginizations.

There are also online clubs you can join to get your USGA handicap.

The easiest way would just go to the course you are a member at and ask to join the men's club. The club president you have already probably seen around the place as they are usually at the course quite a bit.

BTW, men's clubs LOVE getting new members. Mo Money. :) And remember, a stranger is just a friend you haven't met. LOL

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
When you join a club, usually the USGA handicapping is included. Our men's club is $110 a year plus $10 for events etc. etc. depending which events you play. The $110 goes to grow the pot a little, but also covers your USGA GHIN service, food and "free" drinks at a few events, and usually a scholarship for a junior to play in the club for free for the year. The club will get you set up with the GHIN service, and you just post your rounds at your course or on any GHIN computer. Or even online.

Some clubs don't use GHIN. I know one men's club in Superior does their own handicapping. It's the same formula's etc., the scores just aren't passed on to the USGA and the WGA. I'm sure it is to save some fees going to those orginizations.

There are also online clubs you can join to get your USGA handicap.

The easiest way would just go to the course you are a member at and ask to join the men's club. The club president you have already probably seen around the place as they are usually at the course quite a bit.

BTW, men's clubs LOVE getting new members. Mo Money. :) And remember, a stranger is just a friend you haven't met. LOL

You and I would be very good friends I think...

I showed up at my club at 7am this morning - there was a threesome on the tee, one of the guys told me to play ahead... I was like I'd rather join you if that would be ok? He was all - I have to be somewhere at 8:30, you'll slow us down, go ahead.

I said no - I want to go have a chat with the pro, I'll go out after you guys. I told the pro about this moron, and he said he wasn't surprised... so I chased them around for 9 holes, then joined the other 2 guys on 10... great guys.

I shot a nifty little 75... don't think I would have slowed them down much LOL.

Point is I don't care if you shoot 72 or 102... we all have day jobs, I just want interaction with like carbon units

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Here is a secret for you, we all suck.
I must vehemently disagree.

I find it remarkable that any of us can attain a synergy of focus and relaxation that allows our minds to command a whirling ballet of strange motions that sometimes results in the glorious flight of a tiny ball from a spot at our feet to a spot hundreds of yards away. Some do this well more often than others, but the feeling of a well-struck shot is truly one of the most captivating things in life, and is what we share as golfers, whether we score well or poorly.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
WOW! Good to see you around again Eracer, how have you been?

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
I must vehemently disagree.

I find it remarkable that any of us can attain a synergy of focus and relaxation that allows our minds to command a whirling ballet of strange motions that sometimes results in the glorious flight of a tiny ball from a spot at our feet to a spot hundreds of yards away. Some do this well more often than others, but the feeling of a well-struck shot is truly one of the most captivating things in life, and is what we share as golfers, whether we score well or poorly.
Eloquent as always!

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.