• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

This is what I live for....

indacup

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2007
Iowa
My personal project of the season….

We have a good student policy to reward any student, living at home with a 20% discount on all products if they are on their school team and carry a 3.0 or better GPA.

Occasionally, I will see a student on the boys or girls golf team who, for whatever reason have some odds stacked against them, but who love and want to play better golf….when we find such a person, we will pull the person aside and assist them with getting better equipment and provided one on one lessons for free.

A couple weeks we found a qualified individual….she is a freshman and comes from a home where I understand is not the healthiest of environments (parents fighting, divorced, living together again...etc..)…she is a sweetheart of a person, does not smile a lot…seems real withdrawn, but loves the game…she practices and I heard was getting frustrated with her slow advancement.

Her best friend is a daughter of a friend of mine from another highschool who confirmed this girl has had her share of hard knocks and golf has been an outlet…so my friend's daughter asked me if I could meet her and give her a lesson…but could not pay me.

I was happy to do so…

That meeting was a bit awkward…she was brutally shy, had trouble even looking me in the eye when I was talking to her. Her immediate issues were unable to get loft on any club and absolutely no short game….she played softball and had a good swing…we just needed to refit her current set and work on basics.

She is ranked at the bottom of her team, very close to being cut….so I told her this would not be an overnight fix…she had to practice and work…she agreed and this past week I know she’s been out playing and practicing daily, even under some adverse weather conditions…we had three more lessons…I got her a new, higher lofted driver and gave her a chipper….She had never seen a chipper before and I showed her how they work….like most beginners, her feel and touch around the greens was off…she seemed to adapt to it nice.

Anyway, today was their first meet and she was playing in the last, lowest ranked group (at least she was playing!).

I was able to watch her practice before the meet and while the other kids were goofing off, hitting drives or chatting…she was practicing diligently with the chipper.

Being a shotgun start, I saw her walk off to the #9 hole with the others in her foursome with her head down and kinda sad it seemed….. but she started to play well (or so it seemed) she looked MUCH better than before…had a couple wonderful drives and was stellar around the greens with her chipper….she won the tee box in her foursome 4 of the five holes I watched… To the point where as she walked off one green, she had a BIG smile on her face and waved at me… I thought I was gonna start crying! She was SO happy!

All of a sudden, instead of walking hunched over and looking at the ground, she was standing tall and head held high...she was walking in FRONT of everyone instead of behind!

I was SO PROUD!

I cannot wait to find out how she did…. And look so forward to helping her achieve the game she wants…and hopefully, the confidence she needs as a person….I will keep you all updated as this progresses.

I apologize for my rambling... but as a person who has no children of my own...and went thru my own hardships as a child, I felt wonderful seeing her today.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
This is a great story and I thank you for sharing it!!! This is very generous of you and please DO keep us posted!

Wayneo

From the bunker
Dec 31, 2008
What a great story Rory. I'm sure you both feel better after a day like that. Kudos to ya, and keep helping to build her self esteem.

Esox

Supporting Member
Aug 6, 2008
Good story, Rory. Junior golf rocks. Glad to hear you're helping this young lady out.

Kevin

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Awesome story, Rory.

I may not like the colour choices you make for your shafts, but this trumps any of that. Well done.

Keep us posted on her progress. Keep molding the clay.

R35

BStone

PGA Class A Professional
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2006
Country
United States United States
Rory, it's people who do things like you are with this young woman that make me proud to associate myself with this game. The life lessons that you are helping her learn will benefit her for the rest of her life in everything that she does.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Keep us informed on how she progresses!!

(I was 2 time Wisconsin state archery champion, took 17th in the nation, won the five state sectional, took 3rd in NC indoor and on and on but most enjoyment I got was teaching my daughter archery and watching her, after 3 months, win her division at the Wisconsin championship and setting a new state record. That was one of my proudest moments especially when the Green Bay television station came all the way down to do a special feature on her. She ended up graduating in the top 5% of her class at West Point).

Members online

No members online now.