1. Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

This should infuriate the grinders on tour

Discussion in 'General Golf Talk' started by TEA Time, Jun 4, 2018.

1. TEA Time

TEA Time Grumpy Gilmore Staff Member Admin

United States United States
    Admin Post
    Imagine being one of those guys who grinds it out on the PGA Tour every week just trying to make a living and stay exempt (see: Rob Oppenheim). Now imagine being that guy and not being able to play in the Memorial because the field is full of dudes using the tournament as a "throw-away" event to prepare for the US Open.

We all know they do it, but Rory just rubbed it in.

-Rory McIlroy

Dude, keep that shit to yourself.

2. limpalong

limpalong Mental Ward Escapee Supporting Member

Tournaments are NOT a public venue where everyone is entitled to play. If those who earn the right to play because they are in the upper echelon, that is their right no matter the reason. Few of the top 100 players on Tour even need the purses. They make huge paychecks from endorsement contracts. Should they give up their place one they earn a specific amount of money in a year?

Tournament sponsors pay millions for the opportunity to host a tourney. Those sponsors would much rather see a Rory... or other top player... in the field than a "no name". The more top names, the more viewership, the more people are being exposed to their brand. I understand we have another LPGA player going to try her luck against the guys on the PGA. A segment of the public suggest she should stick to her own association as she is taking a spot from a male player. No! The sponsor has the right to name anyone they want to play in their tournament. Again, more people tuning in to watch an LPGA player of renown than a male player they've never heard of.

If you can't make a living on Tour, perhaps it's time to find another occupation. If you want to play golf and have the financial resources to fly from qualifier to qualifier and tourney to tourney, keep doing so if it lights your fire. If you need to make more money on Tour, either play better or go flip burgers.

3. eclark53520

eclark53520 DB Member Extraordinaire Supporting Member

Meh, I don't find that all that bad personally.

The why is meaningless IMO. I would rather him be honest, than blow smoke to try and not hurt feelings.

4. TEA Time

Admin Post
    I've always like that about Rory.

I guess this affects me a bit more than others because I know people that have given it a go, hell I even had aspirations of it myself, and all those guys would kill to be able to play these "throw-away" tournaments. Also, what message does that send to the sponsors of these tournaments? It tells them that their tournament is no more important than a practice round. That theirs isn't a "real" tournament.

I'll get over it.

5. PaPaD

PaPaD Club ho, geezer........ Supporting Member

That kind of talk just makes Mc look cocky. He'll grow up one day and possibly regret saying that.

TheTrueReview likes this.
  6. Fairwaysplitter3320

Fairwaysplitter3320 Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again. Staff Member Admin

Admin Post
    I see both sides of this. I'm torn as I agree with all of you. This post brings nothing to the conversation, carry on.

7. PaPaD

PaPaD Club ho, geezer........ Supporting Member

McIlroy has earned the right to play in the Memorial and it's his event to try hard or just take up space. His comments, however, are in poor taste to Mr. Nicklaus and those that were there in good faith to compete.

8. TEA Time

Admin Post
    Good point, I didn't even consider Jack's perspective. Although he probably did it a lot in his day and may think nothing of it, who knows.

Fairwaysplitter3320 and PaPaD like this.
  9. IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer Fac ut gaudeam Supporting Member

I'll bet Rory only said that when he just about made the cut on Friday night, Saturday morning. I guess he was just being honest, too honest.

When he teed it up on Thursday he was trying 100% for the win. After 36 holes he almost was packing his bags. So he adjusted his expectations to use the remaining 36 holes as preparation to iron out kinks. And he ended up T8. I'll bet most of the top guys do that. But to say it in advance of Thursday would have been a mistake and a snub to Jack.

10. Fairwaysplitter3320

Fairwaysplitter3320 Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again. Staff Member Admin

Admin Post
    Agreed.

11. MCDavis

MCDavis The Plaid Duffer Staff Member Moderator

No issue with his thoughts, but like others I think the comment was best left unsaid out of respect for the tournament itself and Jack.