• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

This should infuriate the grinders on tour

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
United States United States
Imagine being one of those guys who grinds it out on the PGA Tour every week just trying to make a living and stay exempt (see: Rob Oppenheim). Now imagine being that guy and not being able to play in the Memorial because the field is full of dudes using the tournament as a "throw-away" event to prepare for the US Open.

We all know they do it, but Rory just rubbed it in.

Honestly, I was just happy to be here, [to] get in another couple of rounds before going to the U.S. Open. I really just treated it like practice, just threw the tournament out the window, go and try and work on what you’ve been working on on the range and go from there.
-Rory McIlroy

Dude, keep that shit to yourself.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Tournaments are NOT a public venue where everyone is entitled to play. If those who earn the right to play because they are in the upper echelon, that is their right no matter the reason. Few of the top 100 players on Tour even need the purses. They make huge paychecks from endorsement contracts. Should they give up their place one they earn a specific amount of money in a year?

Tournament sponsors pay millions for the opportunity to host a tourney. Those sponsors would much rather see a Rory... or other top player... in the field than a "no name". The more top names, the more viewership, the more people are being exposed to their brand. I understand we have another LPGA player going to try her luck against the guys on the PGA. A segment of the public suggest she should stick to her own association as she is taking a spot from a male player. No! The sponsor has the right to name anyone they want to play in their tournament. Again, more people tuning in to watch an LPGA player of renown than a male player they've never heard of.

If you can't make a living on Tour, perhaps it's time to find another occupation. If you want to play golf and have the financial resources to fly from qualifier to qualifier and tourney to tourney, keep doing so if it lights your fire. If you need to make more money on Tour, either play better or go flip burgers.

OP
TEA Time

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
I would rather him be honest, than blow smoke to try and not hurt feelings.
I've always like that about Rory.

I guess this affects me a bit more than others because I know people that have given it a go, hell I even had aspirations of it myself, and all those guys would kill to be able to play these "throw-away" tournaments. Also, what message does that send to the sponsors of these tournaments? It tells them that their tournament is no more important than a practice round. That theirs isn't a "real" tournament.

I'll get over it.

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
I've always like that about Rory.

I guess this affects me a bit more than others because I know people that have given it a go, hell I even had aspirations of it myself, and all those guys would kill to be able to play these "throw-away" tournaments. Also, what message does that send to the sponsors of these tournaments? It tells them that their tournament is no more important than a practice round. That theirs isn't a "real" tournament.

I'll get over it.
I see both sides of this. I'm torn as I agree with all of you. This post brings nothing to the conversation, carry on.

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
I'll bet Rory only said that when he just about made the cut on Friday night, Saturday morning. I guess he was just being honest, too honest.

When he teed it up on Thursday he was trying 100% for the win. After 36 holes he almost was packing his bags. So he adjusted his expectations to use the remaining 36 holes as preparation to iron out kinks. And he ended up T8. I'll bet most of the top guys do that. But to say it in advance of Thursday would have been a mistake and a snub to Jack.

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
I'll bet Rory only said that when he just about made the cut on Friday night, Saturday morning. I guess he was just being honest, too honest.

When he teed it up on Thursday he was trying 100% for the win. After 36 holes he almost was packing his bags. So he adjusted his expectations to use the remaining 36 holes as preparation to iron out kinks. And he ended up T8. I'll bet most of the top guys do that. But to say it in advance of Thursday would have been a mistake and a snub to Jack.
Agreed.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
No issue with his thoughts, but like others I think the comment was best left unsaid out of respect for the tournament itself and Jack.

Old Chuckie T

Loveable Linkster
Jul 22, 2018
Boston
Country
If you can't make a living on Tour, perhaps it's time to find another occupation.

Real golf professionals give lessons and sell you a sleeve of Pro V1s over the counter.
If one chooses to be a professional golfer instead of a full-fledged golf professional, win something big.
Then you'll get sponsor invites.
Otherwise, I would think that you're on you're own.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Rory has made a number of ill considered comments over the time he’s been on tour. Always followed up by the obligatory apology that looks suspiciously wooden.

I’ve seen enough of them now to deduce that what you see is what you get with Rory. A golfer living in the lap of extreme luxury who often loses touch with the world outside.

Last edited:

Members online