• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

"Those were some good putters!"

Sean

Worm Burner
Aug 24, 2006
I was talking to my father a ways back about golf. He used to play before he had a catastrophic back injury in 83.

When I was in my early teens, say 1990, he gave me his clubs to smack around a course with my buddies. Wooden woods, irons had wooden shafts, etc. Plus two putters.

I told him I bought some new clubs and he was indignant! How could I NOT use his old clubs? Well, They're old and rusty I explained. And if not rusty the woods were actually wood!

Anyway I went on to explain I was still looking for a good putter as I don't really like the one I have all that much.

Of course he wanted me to use his old putters.

I just went and dug them out of the attic and I'm curious if you guys know anything at all about them?

Both are made by Spalding and are marked 'Designed by T.P. Mills' and the grips are logo'd 'TPM'

Both are black

One has a cross-hair on the face made up oif small white dots and has "t.p.m. 3" on the face.

The second has only "t.p.m." and under that "tour Series" on the face and on the bottom has the number '15' under a Spaulding logo.

One of the grips just completely crumbled off when I gave it a little twist but the other about as close to good condiition as clubs this old will get. Smooth and crackly :)

Anyway, I googled TP Mills and found they make putters.

Just curious if anyone would know anything about these? I'm thinking about regripping the one that crumbled and giving it a shot out there, what'd'ya think?

OP
S

Sean

Worm Burner
Aug 24, 2006
Only thing I can add is they are most likely from the mid-70's or earlier. My pops wasn't really cheap but he wasn't the type of guy to buy a new putter just because it was new, he woulda wore em into the ground and then some before breaking down and buying new ones.

BStone

PGA Class A Professional
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2006
Country
United States United States
TP Mills is actually one of the best putter designers out there. He used to be the designer for Mizuno before they hired Bob Bettinardi (think Scotty Cameron but without the fanfare). His designs are still used by touring professionals and have been collector's items for a lot of people.

footballking732

BURNER BABY!!
Sep 2, 2006
as tmag said, tp mills has made some great putters over the years... some classics...

but it really doesnt matter if other people like them, it matters if you can make a good stroke with them, so take them to the practice green, and see how they perform...

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007
Oh man wbl, I just had a sick mental image of you embracing and caressing your putter on the green :eek:

:ugly25:

OP
S

Sean

Worm Burner
Aug 24, 2006
Interesting. Apparently TP Mills really is quite famous for his putters, lol. I'm gonna go tomorrow and get some grips and try these things out.

This might be a stupid question but is there any danger getting these re-shafted? Danger as in screwing up the hostle since they're so old? I'd hate to ruin 'em! The shafts look OK but the one that had the grip crumble off has some rust spots under the tape...

If nothing else I'll probably be the only guy out there with a 40 year old putter on most days.. right? heh!

footballking732

BURNER BABY!!
Sep 2, 2006
Interesting. Apparently TP Mills really is quite famous for his putters, lol. I'm gonna go tomorrow and get some grips and try these things out.

This might be a stupid question but is there any danger getting these re-shafted? Danger as in screwing up the hostle since they're so old? I'd hate to ruin 'em! The shafts look OK but the one that had the grip crumble off has some rust spots under the tape...

If nothing else I'll probably be the only guy out there with a 40 year old putter on most days.. right? heh!

not really worth getting them reshafted until you know you like the head/face... id definately throw a grip on there though... should end up being no more than $5 for each, including the grip and install...

some of the best putters are the oldies.. ie the original ping anser, the putter that started it all...:)

Crossfire

PGA Apprentice
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2006
good putters, occasionally my spalding TPM 3 knocks my $150 YES! putter out of my bag.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States

You have not read any of Dave's posts apparently. He uses old beat up Pings. :D

Stick with the TP Mills for now. If you reshaft yourself, it should not be too expensive. Less than $15 for the shaft and grip. You will not damage the head unless you really overheat it (think glowing).

Have fun

ualtim

OP
S

Sean

Worm Burner
Aug 24, 2006
Just threw a blue Lamkin Dual Density Torsion Control grip on the Tour Series model and it's going in the bag. Thanks again, guys.

footballking732

BURNER BABY!!
Sep 2, 2006
Just threw a blue Lamkin Dual Density Torsion Control grip on the Tour Series model and it's going in the bag. Thanks again, guys.

nice to hear that you found a gamer.. and the price was right..:) all you paid was the grip cost...

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Guys go crazy for the new TP Mills handmades. The softail is basically the same design as your old Spaulding.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.