1. Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Tiger’s new TM irons

Discussion in 'Golf Equipment Talk' started by TheTrueReview, May 2, 2018.

1. TheTrueReview

TheTrueReview "Playing it straight" Supporting Member

Australia Australia
    Some may have seen photos this week about Tiger’s Phase 1 TM irons.

My Golf Spy has done a hilarious comparison with his old Nike VR Pro irons and which included photoshopping of brand symbols.

Thoughts on Tiger's new irons?

ImageUploadedByShot Talk1525306966.352714.

Last edited: May 2, 2018
    Fairwaysplitter3320 likes this.
  2. Fairwaysplitter3320

Fairwaysplitter3320 Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again. Staff Member Admin

United States United States
    Admin Post
    New ones appear to have a bit of a rounder toe. Rather than the squared off toe he games for years.

TheTrueReview likes this.
  3. limpalong

limpalong Mental Ward Escapee Supporting Member

The photo is confusing... or else my old eyes are deceiving me. It appears the upper photo has the Nike model with the Taylor Made logo. The bottom photo has the Nike Swoosh with the Taylor Made new model "TW PHASE 1". What am I missing?

4. Fairwaysplitter3320

Fairwaysplitter3320 Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again. Staff Member Admin

Admin Post
    It’s been photoshopped to show how similar they are. ;)

5. azgreg

azgreg "Don't count that." Supporting Member

Not to far from Rory's

[​IMG]

6. TheTrueReview

Australia Australia
    There’s any irony in this whole story. It goes like this.
    1. Tiger would have his Nike irons made at The Oven.
    2. When Nike stopped making clubs, Tiger had one or two TGR branded iron sets made for him before the closedown.
    3. After the closedown, a couple of former Oven employees opened Artisan Golf in Texas.
    4. In other photos of Tiger’s “TM” prototype irons people have commented that the serial number on the hosel is the same style as that used by Artisan Golf on the irons it makes.
    5. Verdict? The TM protos are being made by Artisan Golf to Tiger’s Nike specs. In other words the same guys who made his irons at Nike are making his TM irons.

Last edited: May 3, 2018
  7. IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer Fac ut gaudeam Supporting Member

None of this is new. For years Muira made irons for pros and stamped them with their sponsored OEM logos.

Darren Clarke would get cashmere sweaters made up and then Dunlop (low cost brand) would stitch their logo on.

The one I cannot figure out was the SC putter. This, in fact, was a rip-off of the Ping Answer. Nike tried to emulate that putter and convinced Tiger et al that it was an exact replica but with a swoosh. It never really worked as they all moved back to SCs when Nike ditched making clubs.

It's a bit of a rip off as essentially it is false advertising. Those people who want to play the clubs that Tiger plays are being duped. Very few pros play off the shelf retail irons.

PROTO = CUSTOM HAND MADE = 1,000,000 MILES FROM DICKS

8. IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer Fac ut gaudeam Supporting Member

I'd bet the iron heads are actually forged in Japan (in or around Muira) to their and Tiggy's specs, and finished off in Artisan with minor grinding, shafts, grips. And then sent onto TM so that they can add "the spirit of TM" to the irons and take a ton of pics!!

9. TheTrueReview

Australia Australia
    In an example of the connection between Nike sponsored players and Artisan Golf, Patrick Reed plays Artisan wedges.

Fairwaysplitter3320 likes this.
  10. warbirdlover

warbirdlover Ender of all threads Supporting Member

So none of the pros other then a couple (Bubba) play actual clubs their sponsors make and sell to the hoards of fans? Somehow this seems about right. Did Nicklaus and those guys play these custom type of irons too?

11. limpalong

I don't know that the "old pros" had all the options available. They did have significant personal "tuning" done re loft, lie, swingweight, etc. Nicklaus owned MacGregor for years and had their entire manufacturing facility available to him. Palmer had ownership in Pro Group. Norman had an ownership stake in Cobra. Norman had been playing the Dunlop Australian Blades. The Cobra Norman Grind... I had a set for a short time... was an almost identical copy of the Australian Blade.
    The 681's were the last Titleist forgings made in the U.S. Those were Hoffman forgings and had problems with the chrome peeling. Titleist went to Japan after that. With the money the manufacturers pay these players for their endorsement, they can have any one of the high end Asian forging houses turn out something unique. CAD drawings can be fed into a robotic machine and out comes a "one-off" forging.
    Technology and the ability to reach out to manufacturing facilities a world away... instantaneously... has taken away the need for a player to adapt to a sponsor's off-the-rack clubs. Curtis Strange won back-to-back U.S. Opens in '88 and '89. Both of those years he bagged a set of MacGregors he had played for years. For the '90 season, he grabbed dollars, dumped MacGregor, and signed a deal with Maruman. His game went in the tank and never recovered. I still believe that if he were playing in today's world of computer generated robotics, Maruman would have built him a set of irons identical to the old MacGregors... and he would have won more tournaments.

As usual... too many words.............

12. limpalong

Oh, and Woods new irons haven't treated him too well in the first and second round of this week's tournament.