1. Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Tiger Woods car crash?

Discussion in 'General Golf Talk' started by ManchesterGolfer, Nov 27, 2009.

1. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Taylormade Ho' Magnet

My first thought as well. I didn't want him to be killed, or even hurt enough he couldn't play.. It would be an epic tragedy to see someone in their prime of competition end it suddenly like that.

2. dave.

dave. Well-Known Member

any good jokes out yet? I've heard the rubbish ones, any good ones though?

3. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn Well-Known Member

What is the difference between Tiger Woods hitting a wedge and driving a SUV? At least he know how to back up a wedge!

4. TheTrueReview

TheTrueReview "Playing it straight" Supporting Member

Australia Australia
    Tiger's public statement:

"Nov. 29, 2009
    As you all know, I had a single-car accident earlier this week, and sustained some injuries. I have some cuts, bruising and right now I'm pretty sore.

This situation is my fault, and it's obviously embarrassing to my family and me. I'm human and I'm not perfect. I will certainly make sure this doesn't happen again.

This is a private matter and I want to keep it that way. Although I understand there is curiosity, the many false, unfounded and malicious rumors that are currently circulating about my family and me are irresponsible.

The only person responsible for the accident is me. My wife, Elin, acted courageously when she saw I was hurt and in trouble. She was the first person to help me. Any other assertion is absolutely false.

This incident has been stressful and very difficult for Elin, our family and me. I appreciate all the concern and well wishes that we have received. But, I would also ask for some understanding that my family and I deserve some privacy no matter how intrusive some people can be."

PGATOUR.COM - Statement from Tiger Woods regarding car accident

5. dave.

dave. Well-Known Member

utter bollocks.

6. BigJim13

BigJim13 Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

It is a little odd that he was falling in and out of consciousness, especially given the low speed. That being said, if you hit your head just right, well that's it. It's kinda like when Dale Earnhardt Sr died, when I saw the crash I thought "no biggie, seen plenty worse on ESPN" but then when you hear he died, and his car hit just the right (or wrong) way to cause maximum head injury then it adds up.

So, who knows...I still could care less who he is sleeping with or not sleeping with, I watch him because he can hit a little white ball better than anybody on the planet.

7. KNP

KNP Well-Known Member

No mention so far regarding this weekends event.
    Will he play and if he does how well will he play?

8. burlguy

burlguy Well-Known Member

9. FATC1TY

Yeah, they said this was the first time tiger ever drove into the short stuff. :)

They just came out and said Tiger declined to talk to police again. Made a statement that the accident was embarassing, and nothing was done wrong, and that he'd like to take care of it with his family.

I'm satisfied with whatever happens, I'm indifferent about it. I'm glad all the parties involved are okay, and hope it all washes over without a problem.

The oddness of the whole situation is just crazy though. The allegations, the secrets, the lack of information being released.

10. kevin markham

kevin markham Irish golfer

Do you have proof that he was cheating on her? Does anyone have hard proof or are we all enjoying the wonderful world of speculation and hearsay??

11. Wi-Golfer

Wi-Golfer Golfer on hiatus. Supporting Member

United States United States
    Agreed, major damage control going on here. He has 1 hell of a reputation to protect, sponsors don't like being dragged into this sorta shit.

And could any of us simply tell the cops, "nah, I don't feel like talking to you right now"? "Will let you know when i'm good & ready"?

12. mddubya

mddubya Hybrid convert

All parties are OK? What about the poor fire hydrant, where are the fire hydrant rights activists? And I bet that mean ole SUV knocked a sizable amount of bark off that tree. The poor thing is standing there feeling all violated and naked. :laugh:

13. burlguy

burlguy Well-Known Member

Google it man..... read the info and then tell me he did not.

14. JEFF4i

JEFF4i She lives! Supporting Member

Because so much on the internet is true.

Honestly, I'm not saying he didn't, and I'm not saying he did. I am just amazed at the amounts of people here that assume one way or another.

Oh, and Burl, reminds me, I have some stuff to sell to ya.

15. dave.

dave. Well-Known Member

brands to protect, big style, hundreds of millions a year this could cost Nike

16. SiberianDVM

SiberianDVM I love Hooters Moderator

Has anyone been over to Tim Finchem's house to remove any sharp objects?

17. limpalong

limpalong Mental Ward Escapee Supporting Member

No, but Elin's been warned to not open the door for OJ!!!:D

18. FATC1TY

Since when are people not allowed to take one side of an issue around here? Lifes full of assumptions, I don't get why people are getting bent out of shape about this situation?

19. N.V.M.

N.V.M. now...a cartoon

a Twitter quote:

....:laugh:

20. limpalong

limpalong Mental Ward Escapee Supporting Member

There are some "lightning rods" that generate discussion on golf forums... Michelle Wie, forged vs. cast, Scotty Cameron putters, Tiger Woods, etc. It is amazing the furor that can be generated on some of these subjects.

Over an exciting, exemplary career TW has developed a significant fan base. He also has those who have taken exception to the constant and consistent media hype that has followed his stellar career. His professional career has been in the public eye and discussed ad naseum. His private life has been, for a celebrity, kept out of public view. He, rightfully so, has chosen to live a very private and secluded personal life.

This sudden chain of events... the story of a sordid affair, the auto accident, the stories of the accident that did not make sense, the refusal to talk to authorities, the reluctance to come forward with an explanation... have given fuel for a firestorm of sorts. Yes, we have jumped to conclusions... held our breath for the next rumor... and, visited at length on golf discussion boards. Yet, not many facts are known and everyone is "lawyering up". So, the discussion boards will remain active until (if ever) the real story comes to light.

Celebrity status brings with it a certain public scrutiny. The golf world has not seen the same history of thugs as has the NFL or NBA. There, we have accused murderers and wife beaters and dog killers still afforded celebrity status. The golf world hasn't had the opportunity to experience a tarnished star. Certainly, we've had our John Daly and Fuzzy Zoeller episodes. Those have seemed to have been kept "away from the game". When the world's number one star of the game becomes subject of an "event", it could be a game-changer. As the celebrity has put himself before the public to sell clubs and cars and clothes and other sundry items, he has seen his fan base and his detractor base both escalate. It's part of being a celebrity. It "comes with the territory".

I, for one, wish Woods would hold a press conference and bring closure to this issue. I believe it would be the best thing for the game. However, that does not appear to be the avenue chosen by Woods. So, we will continue to "have fun" with our discussions, inuendos, and jokes. I firmly believe we will do the game more justice by keeping this open and light... until the truth is known... rather than trying to sweep it under the rug like so many other sports have done to protect celebrities.

Meanwhile, it has been asked why... if Elin did, in fact, rescue Tiger from the Escalade... did she drag him to the street rather than leave him in the grass next to the vehicle. That answer has been that, as a wife of a professional golfer, she was certainly aware that she got a two club length drop.:D