• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Tiger's effect on golf

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
United States United States
In 1991, Corey Pavin won the money title with $979,430.
In 2014, that would have been good enough for 99th place.

I was interested in seeing something visual to correlate the idea of Woods having that much of an impact on the sport. So, I put this graph together to illustrate it.

I used the $1 million mark as my gauge. The points represent the place on the money list that the last person to earn $1m finished. I believe this is linked to the amount of money being pumped into the tour by sponsors in the form of total purses. Of course it also illustrates the insane amount of talent funneling into the tour. I also added a few critical moments in time.

Of course you can read into it what you want, but when the "curve" is this blatantly obvious, it's hard to deny Woods' impact on the game.

upload_2015-3-16_15-11-14.png

Now, having said all that, GO PHIL!! :D

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Like I said in another thread, golf will be fine but golf on TV is not.

Love the #'s you found. I was looking for a ratings comparison, but haven't found a good one yet.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Well, you have to include inflation into the calculation. A mill back then is worth way more today.

And, add into the fact that oil, real estate and technology prices went nuts and people started making money hand over fist, the inevitability of this trend was written on the wall in huge block letters.

I'm 1991, Forbes reported that there were 71 Billionaires in the world. That number grew to 1741 in 2014.

The money was coming, with or without Woods. Maybe not to the extent of what it is, but it was coming.

R35

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Well, you have to include inflation into the calculation. A mill back then is worth way more today.

And, add into the fact that oil, real estate and technology prices went nuts and people started making money hand over fist, the inevitability of this trend was written on the wall in huge block letters.

I'm 1991, Forbes reported that there were 71 Billionaires in the world. That number grew to 1741 in 2014.

The money was coming, with or without Woods. Maybe not to the extent of what it is, but it was coming.

R35
The money was coming but not to golf. Deny all you want, throw out inflation, real estate, oil or whatever. Tiger brought money to golf like no other, even Arnie.

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
United States United States

R35
A mil just doesn't go as far as it used to.

🔥 Latest posts