• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Tiger's effect on golf

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
The money was coming but not to golf. Deny all you want, throw out inflation, real estate, oil or whatever. Tiger brought money to golf like no other, even Arnie.

Not denying that. What I am saying is its not just one reason why dollars are out of control in golf, as much as you want to put it on TW's sore shoulders.

R35

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
In 1991, Corey Pavin won the money title with $979,430.
In 2014, that would have been good enough for 99th place.

I was interested in seeing something visual to correlate the idea of Woods having that much of an impact on the sport. So, I put this graph together to illustrate it.

I used the $1 million mark as my gauge. The points represent the place on the money list that the last person to earn $1m finished. I believe this is linked to the amount of money being pumped into the tour by sponsors in the form of total purses. Of course it also illustrates the insane amount of talent funneling into the tour. I also added a few critical moments in time.

Of course you can read into it what you want, but when the "curve" is this blatantly obvious, it's hard to deny Woods' impact on the game.

View attachment 26065

Now, having said all that, GO PHIL!! :D

I'll let your supervisor know you need something to do...

OP
TEA Time

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
The money was coming, with or without Woods. Maybe not to the extent of what it is, but it was coming.

R35
This was my point. The graph most likely would have been a gradual slope without Tiger, rather than a stock market crash.

I'm sure this was done on his coffee break.

R35
Coffee? This is Portland, we go down stairs to the deli for a beer break. Starting July 1st, alotta people will be going out for a "smoke" break.

subsonic

Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2008
TIger had an impact for sure. Saying he was "THE" reason is a bit short sighted.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
TIger had an impact for sure. Saying he was "THE" reason is a bit short sighted.
What was "THE" reason Nike and basketball ruled the 90's? Jordan.

Same thing in golf. I have a hard time believing that sponsors, Networks and corporations were going to throw billions of dollars at golf without a mega watt superstar. Remember what Nike's golf sales were before Tiger? Oh right, they didn't sell golf stuff.

Lefty is as beloved a figure that golf has seen. Purses wouldn't be $7m if he was the main draw.

subsonic

Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2008
BJ- Nike still doesn't sell that much in the golf business. I can't tell you the last time I saw a set of Nike irons in a bag.

Anyway... You are right. Tiger is the sole reason responsible for the rise of golf. He is the man yada yada yada... Golf will disappear when he no longer plays.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
BJ- Nike still doesn't sell that much in the golf business. I can't tell you the last time I saw a set of Nike irons in a bag.

Anyway... You are right. Tiger is the sole reason responsible for the rise of golf. He is the man yada yada yada... Golf will disappear when he no longer plays.
You guys aren't listening. Never once have I said that golf will die or that Tiger is the sole reason golf is popular.

What I have said is that golf on TV is in trouble and unless another mega watt superstar come along, purses and viewership along with TV money will dwindle.

Rory, Rickie and Spieth are good players and fun to watch. But they don't draw the non golf forum casual fans to the TV.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country

A guy I played with today had Pro Combos.

I'm not sure Nike Golf would've had much success without Tiger.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
A guy I played with today had Pro Combos.

I'm not sure Nike Golf would've had much success without Tiger.

I could never understand the hate and distrust toward Nike Golf. Part of the reason I play their gear is because of the BS peddled against it. I like to zig when everyone else zags.

For some strange reason TM has missed all of the same flack that Nike Golf gets (eg only a shoe maker & what would they know about golf).

I had a set of the first pro combos, they were sweet.

Both the current and old versions are quality irons.

Last edited:

subsonic

Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2008
I could care less about what people play. Nike makes fine stuff. The original Sling Shot was a great iron. The Slingshots and the Sumo driver were a couple of big splashes for Nike.

I am not a Nike hater etc... Just sayin that I don't see a lot of it on the course in my area. Of course YMMV...

subsonic

Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2008
You guys aren't listening. Never once have I said that golf will die or that Tiger is the sole reason golf is popular.

What I have said is that golf on TV is in trouble and unless another mega watt superstar come along, purses and viewership along with TV money will dwindle.

Rory, Rickie and Spieth are good players and fun to watch. But they don't draw the non golf forum casual fans to the TV.

BJ- I had my sarcasm button on. My way of agreeing to disagree.

There will be another Tiger. There always is. He is not a once in history occurrence.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
BJ- I had my sarcasm button on. My way of agreeing to disagree.

There will be another Tiger. There always is. He is not a once in history occurrence.
That's fine, but you were agreeing to disagree on a point I wasn't making. That's all I was saying.

subsonic

Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2008
BJ- OK. I guess it would depend on what your definition of "trouble" is. Will the ratings go down if they do not roll out a good product? Probably. Will golf disappear from TV? Probably not.

The angle I was hitting was that there will be another Super Star at some point.

Members online

No members online now.