• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Tiger's Quest for 15th Major Continues

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
In his quest, 31 golfers finished with lower scores... including a 19 year old amateur. Not a real "Tigeresque" performance. Certainly, a less stellar performance than Johnny Miller or Kelly Tilghman expected. He'll head to the bunny slope with is ski pole, disappearing until this same discussion is replayed just before... and during... The Open across the pond.
He no longer appears "hungry". He's not staring putts into holes like he did in his prime. When he does decide to play, the crowd of never-die Tiger fans will continue to scream and swoon and say, "He's back! This IS the next major." Likewise, another segment of golf fans will watch him as if observing a NASCAR event... glued to the television, waiting/hoping for the next crash. There has never been a professional golfer in history that has such a divided fan base. Many root for Tiger. Many root for 'anyone but Tiger'.
Soon, we will hear Vonn is expecting and a "royal" wedding will elicit celebrity status coverage on every television network. Beginning with the 2014 season, Tiger will play only the 4 major tourneys and a warm up event for a couple of them. He'll accept the responsibility of marketing the Winter Olympics, be successful at that, and then purchase majority ownership in a shoe/clothing company that will compete head to head with Nike.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
In his quest, 31 golfers finished with lower scores... including a 19 year old amateur. Not a real "Tigeresque" performance. Certainly, a less stellar performance than Johnny Miller or Kelly Tilghman expected. He'll head to the bunny slope with is ski pole, disappearing until this same discussion is replayed just before... and during... The Open across the pond.
He no longer appears "hungry". He's not staring putts into holes like he did in his prime. When he does decide to play, the crowd of never-die Tiger fans will continue to scream and swoon and say, "He's back! This IS the next major." Likewise, another segment of golf fans will watch him as if observing a NASCAR event... glued to the television, waiting/hoping for the next crash. There has never been a professional golfer in history that has such a divided fan base. Many root for Tiger. Many root for 'anyone but Tiger'.
Soon, we will hear Vonn is expecting and a "royal" wedding will elicit celebrity status coverage on every television network. Beginning with the 2014 season, Tiger will play only the 4 major tourneys and a warm up event for a couple of them. He'll accept the responsibility of marketing the Winter Olympics, be successful at that, and then purchase majority ownership in a shoe/clothing company that will compete head to head with Nike.
I pray for the day he dominates again. Golf is boring without him. Like it or not (and I know you don't) he is good for the PGA Tour and golf as a whole, whether he is winning or not. I'd prefer to watch him win, but I will still take watching one of the all time greats play.

Would you have turned down the chance to watch Hogan in 1955? Nicklaus in 1987? Or wished we stop talking about them?

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Tiger concerns me. I saw recently that his 2013 stats are equal to his stats when he dominated & the commentator was using that as his barometer in predicting Tiger greatness in the US Open. Yet, my gut feel tells me there's something missing but I can't put my finger on it. I still think he has the hunger & he puts in long practice. He will win plenty of PGA tour events but my comments relate to Tiger in future majors.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Tiger concerns me. I saw recently that his 2013 stats are equal to his stats when he dominated & the commentator was using that as his barometer in predicting Tiger greatness in the US Open. Yet, my gut feel tells me there's something missing but I can't put my finger on it. I still think he has the hunger & he puts in long practice. He will win plenty of PGA tour events but my comments relate to Tiger in future majors.
He may never win another major, the rest if the field has come a long way and there is no longer a huge gap between him and #2. He no longer wins just by showing up, his "aura" is gone.

He is pressing now, which is new for him. He is trying so hard to win the next major. Also, his putting isn't what it was. He seems to lack confidence on the greens. He's good enough to win regular tour events with his game today, but majors are just that-major. He won't win those again until he gets his confidence back in the greens.

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
I remember vividly (not that long ago) when people were spouting all that hogwash about how Tiger will never get his game back at all, and the field has caught up, blah blah blah... Tell that to all the other participants in all the events he's won... THIS YEAR. He's been pressing for a long time. It probably first crossed his mind at #11. To me it's not if, but when he'll break Jack's record. I'm just curious to see if the same naysayers will act like they knew it all along when that time does come.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
He will always contend at the Masters. I think he still has 2 more masters in him but I could be wrong.

US Open-who knows? The next few years courses are Pinehurst, Chambers Bay, Oakmont, Erin Hills and Pebble. Could he win one of those? Sure.

British-we have Muirfield coming up. Then Royal Liverpool (he won), St Andrews (2)

PGA-Oak Hill, Valhalla, Whistling Straits, Baltusrol and Quail Hollow.

It's conceivable he wins 5 of those but no lock by any means. If I had to bet I'd say he wins at St Andrews & maybe Hoylake again. I'd also bet on Valhalla.

Who knows though, it sure is fun to watch and talk about though!

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
I pray for the day he dominates again. Golf is boring without him. Like it or not (and I know you don't) he is good for the PGA Tour and golf as a whole, whether he is winning or not. I'd prefer to watch him win, but I will still take watching one of the all time greats play.

Would you have turned down the chance to watch Hogan in 1955? Nicklaus in 1987? Or wished we stop talking about them?
So you thought this weekend was boring?

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
So you thought this weekend was boring?
No, this weekend was great, made more interesting wondering what Tiger would do. It helped having Lefty on the leader board. I wouldn't have watched as much if it was just Mahan and Rose dueling.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
No, this weekend was great, made more interesting wondering what Tiger would do. It helped having Lefty on the leader board. I wouldn't have watched as much if it was just Mahan and Rose dueling.
To me, the game is more interesting than the players. What it takes to win, and what causes the guy making a run to lose, is just as fun regardless of who is winning or losing.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
To me, the game is more interesting than the players. What it takes to win, and what causes the guy making a run to lose, is just as fun regardless of who is winning or losing.
I love the game, but am a fan of players. If the leader board is covered with names I don't recognize then I won't watch, it's not interesting. Majors are a little different, I will likely watch the final round but there still need to be names I recognize to watch. A good example is last years US Open, didn't watch hardly any of it, same with the British.

With so many pulls on my time nowadays I can't just sit down for 3-4 he's and watch the final round of every tournament like I used to.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
With so many pulls on my time nowadays I can't just sit down for 3-4 he's and watch the final round of every tournament like I used to.
This I completely understand, and have lived for many years now with 4 kids. But, they're getting older and there are fewer pulls on my time.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
My daughter is 6 now and soon won't want anything to do with me. So for now I take advantage of any time I get with her! :)
I dread that day. My boys are my everything. Maybe playing golf with their dad will be a close 2nd to chasing tail.

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
There are those who kids grow up to fast and then there is me who say they don't grow up fast enough.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.