• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Tipping a shaft

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
The Aldila website recommends tipping a shaft 0.5" for FWs. How would the playability be affected if one were to skip this step. What if you wanted to just install the shaft and cut it to length from the butt? How necessary is it to tip shafts for FWs?

As far as I know it will only make it play softer. The weight of a 3wood head is more than that of a driver. So picture adding 30grams of lead tape to your driver head.

Bames,

It will simply make the shaft play softer. If a driver head weight 198g and the 3 wood is 209 the difference would be 11 grams. So the same shaft untipped in a 3 wood would be 11cpms softer, which depending on the shaft (they all react differently) could equal anywhere from 1/2 a flex to a full flex.

Thank you gentlemen, that is what I was after. So, basically tipping as recommended by the manufacturer is to maintain a consistency in flex throughout the woods.

What if my driver head weighs 208 grams?? It does.

Well that is between 4 to 10 grams above standard (there really is no standard) so the flex will play anywhere for 4 - 10 cpms softer than intended. The problem is no one really knows what the shaft manufacturer intended (if they even know), or how much tip needs to be trimmed to make up this difference. Without a frequency machine you would be guessing at best.

Well that is between 4 to 10 grams above standard (there really is no standard) so the flex will play anywhere for 4 - 10 cpms softer than intended. The problem is no one really knows what the shaft manufacturer intended (if they even know), or how much tip needs to be trimmed to make up this difference. Without a frequency machine you would be guessing at best.

Fortunately I have the option of replacing the 12's with the 8's and going to 200g's. :)

I have a CompNT uncut and an Epic uncut sitting here. There are just driving me nuts... I need to get something in the Superquad!!!

I have a VS proto byyou 70 stiff sitting here, brand new .............

Featured Reviews

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54