• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Titleist AP1

Maverick

*mmuah*
Mar 23, 2005
I demo'd it a couple days ago and just came back from my fitting. It is the best set of irons I have ever hit. I have NEVER said about any irons throughout my playing experience, but even the demo 6 iron felt perfect. I finally saw that my 6 iron speed is 84 mph (+/- 1 mph), about 170 yds.

Specs:
4-GW (standard LLL) - we tested for about 30 mins. hitting off the impact board. (Is it me or is every impact board a PING impact board..lol) I was surprised to see that 85% of my impact were right down flush with the standard settings according to the tape. I had a few that were on the heel which I knew were the ones that drew/hooked.

Shaft: R300 DG HL (High Launch), 113g. There other various upgrades but this was perfect for me.

The Titleist rep said my swing speed was at verging toward the end of the R300 shaft spectrum. He said I could probably do the S300 but I would lose a little distance but have a tighter dispersion. I kept the R300 because I had absolute control of the shaft and I knew I could pepper it a little if I had to.

One thing I immediately noticed with the AP1's was how easy it was to get that nice penetrating flight that kept on going. It definitely goes the higher trajectory I wanted but no ballooning. I was hitting my 6 iron as high as my old 7 iron (Callaway X-18 Pro Series). They are easy to hit (I'm playing to about a 15 right now).

Anyway, alas, the wait now to get it back from the factory. Golf got fun again.

West Coast Duffer

Orange County California
Oct 12, 2007
Nice sticks. I really liked the looks and were a top pick then I decided to get me cobras. I swing about the same as you and I went for the stiff and haven't seen any loss in distance.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Great review, I hope they work out for you. Keep us posted and we want pictures. :needpics:

OP
Maverick

Maverick

*mmuah*
Mar 23, 2005
Better than photos..my quick video..god..I sound like a geek..:shocked: It launches fairly high..but that's what I like..

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v67_mizuno9_th_MVI_4327.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v67_mizuno9_th_MVI_4328.jpg

OP
Maverick

Maverick

*mmuah*
Mar 23, 2005
I just played my 1st round with the AP1's and they are great. One thing that IMMEDIATELY stands out is that they have a nice high trajectory. Maybe alot of you guys don't want that..not a balooning high but a boring high trajectory. Where most of the irons I've played before hit their apex..these go..and then a little more. I've never had so many shots on the green where it comes straight down and stops. Most likely that DG-HL shaft is contributing to this but if you want more height in your irons these are it. I had soooo much fun with these babies.

Off the toe shots are not that bad either. My bad shots where pulls or hooks, and probably to the slightly offset face. I am so happy with these irons and found my perfect set. If your a 15-20 indexer take a looksy here.

OP
Maverick

Maverick

*mmuah*
Mar 23, 2005
I just played another round with these and noticed about a 10 yard gain as well..I would say because of the increased ball flight. These irons are so much fun. They are also VERY workable and I can hit low stingers if needed. If you want more height in your irons these are it. It's nice knowing they will stop and drop.

Johnny Par

Supporting Member
Sep 5, 2006
Was reading somewhere that the AP1's get scratched up real easy. How do your irons look?

The AP1's look so nice though. I am dying to demo one.

Johnny Par

Supporting Member
Sep 5, 2006
Mine are on the big brown truck.:)

SWEET!!! let us know how they work out for ya.

Did you get reg or stiff shafts? I've been doing some research on these irons and noticed that because of the shaft (DG HL), people are moving up in flex. I guess the HL shaft plays soft.

Did you demo with the HL shaft? Did they play true to flex?

Again, let me reiterate, I am doing this research for a friend who is interested in these irons. I am completely happy with my Ping Raptures. ;)

West Coast Duffer

Orange County California
Oct 12, 2007
Was reading somewhere that the AP1's get scratched up real easy. How do your irons look?

The AP1's look so nice though. I am dying to demo one.

I noticed a lot of new clubs lately are very sexy wit lots of chrome that can really take a beating over time. the AP 1s and 2s are very nice. I almost bought some Ap2s the other day.

Johnny Par

Supporting Member
Sep 5, 2006
I noticed a lot of new clubs lately are very sexy wit lots of chrome that can really take a beating over time. the AP 1s and 2s are very nice. I almost bought some Ap2s the other day.

"Almost" you call yourself a Ho? LOL.

Those AP1's look soooo nice.

OP
Maverick

Maverick

*mmuah*
Mar 23, 2005
I say the DGHL R300 plays "softer" than a typical DG R300. It's lighter for one, 113g, and I think it's softer in the tip. I see what people mean by moving to a S300 in the HL. The fitter was telling me I was borderline R300 and S300. I'm not going to be increasing my speed so I stayed witht he R300..my 6 iron swing speed was 83 mph.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Very nice looking sticks there. I like the video with the commentary, :laugh:

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I'm not going to be increasing my speed so I stayed witht he R300..
Girly man! Man up and go with the X100 tip-trimmed rebar all the other manly men are raving about.
icon12.gif

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.