1. Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Titleist T100 irons a good choice for me???

Discussion in 'Golf Equipment Talk' started by drzzz, Nov 6, 2019.

1. drzzz

drzzz Well-Known Member

United States United States
    I’m almost 48. I love golf and used to play almost daily in the summer during my early twenties. With career and then kids, I’ve only managed a handful of rounds per year for the past 20+ years, but I still consider myself a relatively good golfer and manage to break 80 a little less than half the time. My questions to all the experts out there is: if I want to start playing a lot more, is investing in a custom fitted set of T100s a logical choice? If not, what else do you recommend? Best place to go for custom fitting? (Currently playing Ping i20s and hit my 7 iron 165-170 yards for reference). Thanks!!!

2. anonymous golfaholic

anonymous golfaholic Refusing Recovery Supporting Member

I haven't hit them...but brand is pretty much irrelevant, as is your distance. Get the club heads that look good to you at address and best suit your game. Then buy the shafts that best suit your swing speed, tempo, desired launch and have the feel you desire. Then have the loft, lie and shaft length fit for you body type and swing.

3. TEA Time

TEA Time Grumpy Gilmore Staff Member Admin

Admin Post
    Gotdamn is this what you guys do? I bought my 845s off of ebay 15 years ago for $170 figuring what the hell.

4. anonymous golfaholic

When you're obsessed with golf, yes.

5. limpalong

limpalong Mental Ward Escapee Supporting Member

It's not about what "we" think is best for you. It's what you can feel comfortable with... and have conficence in. There is certainly nothing wrong with your Pings... if you are hitting them well. Just moving to something new won't necessarily step up your game. As TT said, he's close to scratch using "old worn out" 845's. I shot my age, this past summer, using a set of 1985 Ping Eye 2's.
    If I were looking for new irons, I would try to hit Ping, Callaway, Titleist, Mizuno. What looks best behind the ball? What feels best to and through the ball? Once I have hit a number of choices, I would go find a good used set. Today, used irons don't bring squat. If you spend $1,000 on a set of fitted irons today, you might get $500 if you try to dump them in 60 days.
    Also consider the qualifications of the "fitter". There is no industry wide certification or standard in club fitting. Many people hang out their shingles, knowing in their own minds they are experts at fitting clubs. I always go back to an article in Golf Digest some 20 years ago. Five players of widely varying abilities, visited a number of fitters. Seldom were they fit with the same specifications from fitter to fitter. Remember, top amateurs and pros hit 500+ balls/day and play LOTS of golf. They can build a repeating swing. If you play once/week... or less... will your swing be within one or two degrees of lie from week to week? Shoot! I just logged my 161st round for this year into the handicap system. I can't repeat the same swing two shots in a row!!!
    Sorry for the long post. Just go play golf and keep it fun!!!!!

6. azgreg

azgreg "Don't count that." Supporting Member

What's wrong with your i20's?

7. MCDavis

MCDavis The Plaid Duffer Staff Member Moderator

^^^This^^^ If you're happy with the i20's, and hitting your 7 iron 165-170 accurately, why are you wanting to change?

8. PaPaD

PaPaD Club ho, geezer........ Supporting Member

PING i20 irons are one of their best designs. I'd stick with them.

limpalong likes this.
  9. anonymous golfaholic

Because.

I agree, once you find a goldilocks set of clubs that fits just right, it's hard to change. I think my irons are 12 years old. ....I would like a different shaft in my 3 iron though lol.

MCDavis likes this.