• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

To tilt or not to tilt is the question.

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
United States United States
So I suspect 9.5 degree drivers are lofted enough to screw up everything.

They seem too high lofted, if at address you lean back and hit up through the ball, where I also notice the 7*-8.5* owners thrive.

If you hit down and through with a 9.5* driver it reminds me of all the guys trying to kill it - but their ball flight is low and the ball rolls out on the ground coming up short. It seems 10.5* and up owners thrive on that type swing.

Then there has to be the middle guys who tip a bit back to make up the lower loft and dont realize they cant make up their mind.

So from the more experienced of you which is better? Does one style of driving offer advantage? Is workability found more in one style than the other? Is the only advantage of tipping back hard with low loft a longer but riskier trajectory?

I have an 8.5, 9.5 and 10.5 RFE head to go see what you say.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
The first two videos you should find very interesting.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I have found best results by playing a 10.5* driver a bit back in my stance. I assume this leads to me hitting down on it a bit.

I find similar results with a 9.5* head played forward in my stance to promote hitting up on it, same with an 8.5.

Oddly enough I get similar results regardless.

trumb1mj

Dec 19, 2007
Chicago, IL
Country
I moved to a 10.5* driver a while back and it was the best move I ever made for my long game. I have a tendency to "lean back" as you're saying and adding loft allows me to swing down and through.

Here's one thing I want to do the next time I go to get fitted for a driver: start with a 10.5* head that is extremely high spinning and crank down my spin rate with the shaft.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
You should be hitting driver on the upswing regardless of the loft. The loft doesn't make you swing any different(or shouldn't, if it does it's in your head), or require a different swing to work.

The loft differences are for different swing speeds and different angles of attack...which should all be positive angles, but to different degree's for different people.

If you're hitting down on the ball with the driver or with a negative angle of attack, you're losing distance. You have to use a higher lofted club, to get the correct launch angle, which causes more spin.

So in the end...fix your swing before you fix your club. Indian, not the arrow, etc etc etc

🔥 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online