• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Tomorrow's Tee Time

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
My boss and I played this afternoon and when we went in the head pro said "I have a tee time for 10am at Metacomet, you want it?". We were like "heck yah".

Metacomet is another private club and more expensive than Valley to join. It overlooks the Narragansett Bay. I've driven by it a million times as it's right near my GF's old apartment and where the storage was for the company I used to work for. I always wanted to play it. The holes you can see from the road have fairways cut the outfield of a MLB field.

Here is the site with some pics Metacomet Country Club View Course

Hopefully it doesn't pour out. It was also good timing because a portion of the State Am is being played at my course in the AM.

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
Looks really manicured..enjoy it.. Even though it's not very long... 6400 from the championship tee's?

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Looks really manicured..enjoy it.. Even though it's not very long... 6400 from the championship tee's?

I thought that too. Then look at the card though. It's like sneaky long. Lot of long holes for a 6400yd. course IMO. I'll put driver back in as it looks like a few dogleg rights there. We'll see what my boss wants to do but I'm pretty much down for anything less than a full downpour. Oh, it's also only a par 70. Par 5's look short though so hopefully those play L to R.

It's really cool because I always drove by that course thinking "the only way I'll play that is if I get good enough for the State Am and they have an event there.".

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
This is not a jinx.

Last time I played a private course I wanted to play, I shot 102. I think it is 5900 from the tips, but wow was it hard.

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
Enjoy yourself.. Bring some extra towels, extra glove or two, and your rain jacket.. No reason to have a good outing washed away just because you got a little wet.

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
This is not a jinx.

Last time I played a private course I wanted to play, I shot 102. I think it is 5900 from the tips, but wow was it hard.

First private course I played, I shot a friggin 111.. Wasn't an overly long course.. a few were though. 620 yard par 5, 232 yard par 3.. None of those were even fair for me to play. Bunkers that were deeper than I was tall, and bunkers that were bigger than some peoples entire lot in a neighborhood.

Still enjoyed the hell out of myself though, and any new course should be fun regardless of your score.

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007

You might not have noticed but it's a Donald Ross course designed around 1900. All courses were this way then, they demanded shotmaking and thinking your way around the course. (Turnberry anyone?)

I love these "old school" courses. What they lack in length they make up for in design that rewards smart play and well thought out and placed shots and penalize sloppy play or poor shots. The best thing about them is you don't have to be a long hitter to play them well, you just have to be a good golfer...

YG and I are members at a newer course that was designed like an "old school" course. Very tight, winding... elevation changes, slick undulating greens and most places if you are off the fairway by more than a couple yards you are either hitting again with a penalty or just hoping you can wedge back out sideways to the fairway. Only about 6700 from the tips and 6100 from the white tees. It will give you all you want and more from either set of tees. I don't think I've played a 6000 yd. course that's much tougher. Hmmm... actually it's sister course across town is a little shorter and maybe a bit tougher. :laugh:

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
This is not a jinx.

Thanks, lol. It's only a 125 slope so shouldn't be too bad. I actually just talked to my buddy and his cousin is a member there. He's played there a few times and said it's a lot like Triggs, which is good.

The one you are talking about sounds more like Valley. The greens are killing me there. So many holes you have to be within a foot or nothing with iron shots. I hit a 9i today to a back left pin, dead on the stick, 2ft. short and came back down the ridge leaving a 25footer. If I'd been even 6inches past that stick it'd have been off the back of the green, even with a high/full 9i from 140. Actually, that happened on another hole. I hit a PW from 130 uphill, it was in the air for like 15seconds, lol. My boss says "look in the hole" when it's not on the green. Nope, a foot long and off the back into the rough.

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
MGP... I wasn't hawkin' at the length. I'm no longer hitter at all. I like the courses that I can keep up with the bombers, and work my way around being methodical and risk/reward.

My favorite course is a Coore and Crenshaw course.. It's around around 6800 yards, and makes you THINK hard before you line up.

I also really, really enjoy this one course near me that is around 6500 yards, and it's tight.. Much like you describe. Forced lay-ups, woods and turns so tight your punching out with wedges/irons. Elevation changes that a 145 yard par 3, is an easy SW to the middle of the green, but it screws up with your head. :)

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
We ended up playing. Only ones stupid enough to be out on the course. We got soaked.

The course was pristine and I liked it a lot. It was hardly as short as the yardage with elevation changes. I hit a 6i from barely over 150 twice into greens. I chipped in on the first hole for a par. Had a birdie on a short par 5 after piping my drive up the gut.

I have no idea what I shot but know we won the match. It was to the point that whoever's hands didn't slip off the club on the tee shot won the hole. Lots of doubles.

I'm sad to say though that this is probably it for my membership and private club experience. There was a vote to charge each member a $500 assessment this month because of low revenue. After this month I have an 18 month obligation so if I want to leave, now is the time. Plus, on top of that, my bill is now going to be over $1000 for this month. Considering I made about $850 this month all together, guess I'm out and they can send bills for that $1000. I hate to do it but I signed up for $208 a month. I can get a full year pass to Triggs for well under $1000 and that's with weekends. Actually, for like $1100 I can get the pass plus join the inner-club and play the tournaments every Sat..

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
My boss just got another reciprocal for another private course. The name of this one is Alpine CC. The place looks sick on the website and has plenty of holes that setup for a cut. I have a feeling I'm really going to like this course.

I'm going to have to really hustle my a$$ off if I'm going to stay at the private course. I've been feeling down and not even really thinking about golf much... as my disappearance for the last few days shows. I've got to get back to purity of the game I love so much and stop with the BS.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Enjoy it Ez!

At this point distance is almost meaningless to me. Last year I shot 73 on a 7600 Tips, then 95 on a 6350. *sigh*

All the same, just enjoy the nice day out.

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Had a great time today. My boss paired me with an older guy from our club and we managed to pick each other up all day long. My boss played with his regular partner, who is also a CH 10 but putts the lights out. Although online handicaps changed last Wed. they claimed they "don't go into effect till Mon.". So I had to play off 10, partner off 17, boss off 15 and his partner off 10. My boss has been dropped to 13, I went up to 11 and his parnter dropped to 9.

Anyway, my boss shot 81 and had 2 GD birds for eagle. Luckily we were able to take the front +2 then fell behind on the back but got back to -1 but then lost the press on 18.

I enjoyed the course. Seemed pretty darn long on a few holes. I went to the driver well often and it did pretty good. If I go home with ball I teed off on #1 with and don't lose any money, that's a great day of golf in my book.

I had 2 Coke's to celebrate breaking even afterwords.
icon12.gif

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Sounds like you had fun, and are getting a lot of golf in. I have 10 rounds in this year so far, have played quite a bit lately to get up that number LOL. My Mother-in-Law arrives tonight, so that should free up some time next weekend to play.

LOL - It just occurred to me that I have the same number of skates in this summer as I do golf rounds. Too bad I can't play golf after the kids go to bed like I do hockey :D

🔥 Latest posts