1. Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Tough days ahead

Discussion in 'No Golf For You!' started by ezra76, May 24, 2006.

1. ezra76

ezra76 Well-Known Member

Man life is tough when you're broke... My little business venture is not going so hot and to make matters worse I'm being audited by the state. I had been doing some painting on the side to make ends meet but that has pretty much run dry too. I have to find a new apartment by the end of June and need to put together some serious (well for me) cash. Like about 4-5K in June. I am going to play a round today and think about my options. :) Why not? When I'm this far in the hole what's another $20? I hate the thought of working for someone else again but I may have to bite the bullet for a while and regroup. It seems that everytime I get to the point I'm about to give up something big comes my way, well I'm still waiting.... Who knows, maybe I'll get paired up with someone moving 5br's to CA today.

2. SiberianDVM

SiberianDVM I love Hooters Moderator

United States United States
    I hear you, bro. I've been my own boss since 1991, and every month I worry about having enough money to pay all the bills, and have enough left over to live on. Maybe that's one reason I didn't play golf all those years: not enough time or money. :)

This Monday we didn't do diddle; the phone barely rang; my employees and I walked around saying no one loved us anymore. Then yesterday things started picking up: vaccinations and exams, people buying things, a doggie ovariohysterectomy, a bleeding from mouth doggie, and a knee surgery referral scheduled for tomorrow.

Life is like a box of chocolates.............................

3. bdcrowe

bdcrowe ST Homeland Security

Sib, you could always start running over dogs and leaving a business card.

Ezra, keep your chin up. It's the thin times that define the fat. Something will come up.

4. SiberianDVM

Believe me, there have been slow times when it has crossed my mind. Then I'd see Lassie and I'd have to fix them for free. :D

5. Bravo

Bravo Well-Known Member

ezra:

I feel for you...I have been in a small software business for the past four years that has been very very tough. All I can say is hang in there....

6. Rockford35

Rockford35 Shark skin shoes Staff Member Admin

Canada Canada
    Ez,

Start selling that ass. I'm telling ya, best money I ever made.

:D

Chin up, yo...

R35

7. SiberianDVM

Who's donkey did you steal?

8. mont86

mont86 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I spent 20 years Farming...My own boss...I like Forty hour weeks, Vacations, Health insurance,getting paid for O.T......I would be liing
    if I said I didn't miss it once and awhile,but what the hell, I play alot more golf now and my blood pressure doesn't go up when a storm front moves
    through.:)

One thing is for sure..You need the bitter along with the sweet.

Good Luck I hope things start picking up for you.

9. ezra76

ezra76 Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. I'm debating a little moonlighting gig to get a little extra cash. I used to deliver pizzas 3 nights a week when I was younger and made about $350 a week. Of course a Dodge 2500 deisel woundn't be the best vehicle. :) No male gigiloing either. Christ, I couldn't get much worse than what I sleep with willingly.... Worse case I'll go work for someone. I really need to get my local moving license first to feed the long distance anyway. I have a good plan, just need the money to really take off. My jobs were netting just under $1000 and I had one I made $2200 on in like 9 hrs. P.S. Don't tell the Taxation Dept. Actually that was my old boss, prick. He called them up and told them about my website. They were like, "Oh we thought you had this huge business" I said "I'm a marketing major, that's what people are supposed to think. Good to know it's working.".

10. Davebud

Davebud Crackhead Zebra

Moonlighting is the way to go

I did that when we started our company, now when we get short, I just pass out flyers for cleaning windows. Window cleaning is an easy 200 bucks in 4 hours. Of course I am liscensed and bonded for it, but you already have a bond for moving, so.... Anyway just a thought.

11. EnglishGolfer

EnglishGolfer Talks a good game

I've been trying to grow the gonads to set up my own business for years but you have just made me re-think (for the billionth time)

I want to set myself up as a freelance CAD Technician and one day employ a few people but I doubt I will actually go ahead and do it now I've worked myself into my little rut as an employee

12. Davebud

Davebud Crackhead Zebra

EG nothing beats the highs of being self employed, on the other hand nothing sucks worse than the lack of work and being broke. You just have to have a back up, the more avenues you have to make cash the better. I would not want to go back to working for some one else at all, I love being self employed, one minor note is that I do not and will not hire employees. I have turned down a contract that would have grossed 270,000 a year, net for about 75,000 a year, but a million head aches.

13. DouginGA

DouginGA dont tread on me

Hang tough Ezra. It's all ying and yang, good and bad. 3 weeks ago I had to borrow a 100 bucks just to stay afloat (yeah, I live that close to the edge :) ).
    Last three weeks I have been busy as sin, jacked up the estimates and still getting too much work. I actually had to lie today so I could get an afternoon off to go hit the ball. Think positive, if things get so bad you cant afford greens fees, your short game and putting will be fantastic, assuming the putting green is free at the range.

14. SiberianDVM

@$$hole :) My one dog leg to repair today turned into 2, as another dog got hitbycar this morning. I'm still at work. :(

Oh, and the best part: the dog belongs to a greenskeeper at the National. :D

15. Farquod

Farquod Short Game Tragedy

I would say that particular case would require an on-site follow-up. And, of course, you would have to personally observe his ambulation skills, so....

16. DouginGA

DouginGA dont tread on me

Doc, its all in priorities. Ask yourself- the leg is already broken, how much worse is it gonna get if you wait? Give the dog a couple of asprin and have them call you in the morning :) (just joking of course. isnt asprin harmful to dogs?)

But while on the course this afternoon I did get a call about a faucet at a rental unit that wouldn't shut off. I asked if the water was getting or the floor or running down the drain. was down the drain. Since a golfing buddie was the landlord I told him I would try to get to it on saturday, monday at the latest :) (gonna try to golf on sat and sunday ) :) most importantly: I was hitting the ball really well today :) priorities!!

17. SiberianDVM

Priorities I understand. :) I did get to the range for a while last evening, and both doggies did well, so I'm a happy camper. :)