1. Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Tried out a real fitting for a new driver...

Discussion in 'Golf Equipment Talk' started by Splunge, Aug 4, 2019.

1. Splunge

Splunge Well-Known Member Supporting Member

United States United States
    So of lately I have felt like I haven’t been getting all the distance I could out of my driver. On top of that I wasn’t sure exactly how far I could hit the ball when I hit it well.

So this morning I decided to go to my local golf store that does custom fitting, to see if there was a better option on the market either for shafts or for heads.

For reference, I currently have a callaway Big Bertha 815 double black diamond (the 430 CC tour version). I have the grav core weight set to high, for lower launch. The loft is 8°, and the face bias is neutral. I have the Aldilla Rouge x-stiff shaft in it.

From my estimation I have been hitting it about 270 and with a baby draw or dead dead straight. I rarely miss left, and my most common miss is small to medium fade that comes when I pick my shoulders up.

After hitting a few in the simulator for a baseline at the shop with my driver, the results were that I was hitting the ball 275-290 avg with about 12° of launch and 109 mph head speed.

The next club I hit was the cally epic flash, with a different x- stiff shaft. And I wasn’t hitting the ball nearly as far, about 260. It had a much higher ball flight and a much higher spin rate. On top of that the head speed was he same, but the smash was way down, and just wasn’t competing remotely close.

I tried a few other club and shaft combos but nothing seemed to get past my current gamer. And most were well short of the mark.

I know that custom fitting for irons and wedges are typically a great option when you can afford it. But this experience has me very dismayed in driver fitting. I have a hard time believing that I was able to custom fit and adjust myself better Into the longest possible club for my swing. And that that club is now almost 4 years old.

I love my driver and I would be very very hesitant to template it or change it. But I just wanted to see if I was leaving anything on the table, or whether or not x-stiff was too much shaft for me. But now I guess I have renewed faith in my trusty baby.

2. Louie_T07

Louie_T07 Well-Known Member

Canada Canada
    Sometimes its just good to confirm, perhaps what we already know! And now you know it for sure!!!

Fairwaysplitter3320 and Splunge like this.
  3. Splunge

My thoughts exactly, I’m going to try and flip the gravity core and see if I can lower the spin, but I’m not interested in trying anything new other than just playing with the core settings on mine. I’m hitting fairways and I love my flight, so I’m not going to mess with the loft or the face angle, I just want to play with the spin and see what difference it makes.

Fairwaysplitter3320 likes this.
  4. warbirdlover

warbirdlover Ender of all threads Supporting Member

I've found that a high percentage of these store "experts" are everything but. I know my swing. I know (now) what shaft works best for me (low launch/low spin) and where the weight should be (back not forward). This combination has worked on both my drivers and the biggest thing I've found is the shaft type.

Fairwaysplitter3320 likes this.
  5. Fairwaysplitter3320

Fairwaysplitter3320 Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again. Staff Member Admin

Admin Post
    Confirmation of belief is a powerful thing. Keep smashing your current gamer!

6. Splunge

I know the the type of “expert” you mean, but this guy I went to is actually an equipment pro, he’s a titleist brand rep, and I think oversees most of the other ones in the region. But on top of that he’s the head fitter for this store.

My experience does beg the question though, is the 430cc driver head going the way of the DODO? I currently game a 430, and vastly prefer the pear shape and the deeper face. I can’t stand when I have to go back to a 460, and likely wouldn’t ever buy another if I had a choice. But the pro told me that the only true this year models that comes in 430cc is the M5, and the TSI 4. I guess the TSI 3 is 460 but still has the “traditional shape” that must look weird.