• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Trimming Aldila NV shaft for FW

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Here are the trimming instructions for the Aldila NV:
Trim Driver to length from butt: Tip Fairway Woods 1", then to length from the butt

The shaft is what came with my 4W, and is currently at 42.5". If I am thinking about this properly, would it be safe to assume I could just trim butt trim this shaft and assume the tip has already been trimmed 1", as the "Length-Tip Par." is 46"-3.0"?

Currently am trimming the shaft as I am just not getting the ball in the air the way I like as well as control, even though it is no problem with the Driver or 7w with the same shaft. As it is a stiff flex, if I were to side on going any direction, I would likely need to go more to a reg flex, as is in the driver. Realizing that trimming the butt will make it play a little stiffer, I will be adding weight back. Also realizing if it plays a little stiffer, may not allow me to get the ball up in the air as well, but thinking trimming the tip would make it way to stiff and probably worse or possibly unusable.

Any thought or familiarity on this shaft if it would be better in that scenario to trim anything off the tip for any reason?

Opinions please :)

... just trim the butt and if it doesn't work to my liking, get a reg flex? Trim the tip? Trim the Tip and Butt? If I need to trim the tip, I will take it in. If I trim the butt, I will do it myself. Also should mention my old 10.5* Driver with an Aldila NV Stiff shaft is not a problem to get airborne either. Just seems no matter what, trimming the tip would be a mistake for my scenario???

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
I think you lost me.

For your FW wood.. yes butt trim to length if it's already been tipped 1". Anything you take off the tip is going to make the shaft play stuffer and firmer in the tip. Tip trimming always changes characteristics of the shaft... or so I understand... butt trimming does not.

OP
P

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
I think you lost me.

For your FW wood.. yes butt trim to length if it's already been tipped 1". Anything you take off the tip is going to make the shaft play stuffer and firmer in the tip. Tip trimming always changes characteristics of the shaft... or so I understand... butt trimming does not.
Sorry about that. What I meant, and based on my unfamiliarity with OEM shafting, was that is it safe to assume that because the specified length of the shaft on the Aldila site is 46", and it came on the TEE trimmed to 42.5", that it is safe to assume that the shaft has already been tipped 1" as part of getting it to the 42.5" for which it came and being 3.5" shorter than the Aldila spec. So likely already tipped 1" then cut 2.5" from the butt from the OEM?

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
Sorry about that. What I meant, and based on my unfamiliarity with OEM shafting, was that is it safe to assume that because the specified length of the shaft on the Aldila site is 46", and it came on the TEE trimmed to 42.5", that it is safe to assume that the shaft has already been tipped 1" as part of getting it to the 42.5" for which it came and being 3.5" shorter than the Aldila spec. So likely already tipped 1" then cut 2.5" from the butt from the OEM?

I think that would be a safe assumption. Assuming you purchased it from a dealer or from someone who knew what they were doing.

OP
P

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
I think that would be a safe assumption. Assuming you purchased it from a dealer or from someone who knew what they were doing.
Kinda what I figured, but always good to ask even the obvious before getting out the cuttoff tool. :)

Thanks!!!

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
Messing with the tip, will change the shaft up a bit..

Just butt trim it, and see how it works.

OP
P

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Messing with the tip, will change the shaft up a bit..

Just butt trim it, and see how it works.
Yeah, that is what I will be doing. I really wanted to stay away from trimming the tip, and certainly did not want to change the characteristics or make it any stiffer than need be. Just doing a few calculations before pulling the trigger today or tomorrow. May likely be taking .5" off my 7w as well, and maybe .75" off my hybrid to keep them consistent with gaps. Actually was surprised to see the baffler is about .5-1" longer than most other hybrids. But need to think a bit about holes that I commonly play, specifically a few of the par 3's that I use my 7w, to weigh the options. right now it is too longer for many of the par 3's where it was the right distance at the beginning of the year. One reason I waited was to get done with my league, and the course I play the second most, where I would use my 7w off the tee on about 4-5 of the 9 holes.

BrandonM7

Nov 23, 2007

Yes. Then when you cut off this length, if you add some weight down the shaft to get the swingweight back where you like it (assuming you have to - you may not) it would soften it up a bit, which would be a double-win since you say you kind of need it a bit softer anyway.

OP
P

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Yes. Then when you cut off this length, if you add some weight down the shaft to get the swingweight back where you like it (assuming you have to - you may not) it would soften it up a bit, which would be a double-win since you say you kind of need it a bit softer anyway.
Thanks!

That is actually my intent, and was pretty familiar with what needs to back, as I have done with drivers in the past. Just never tried this with a FW before. Am hoping it will be the same results as with my drivers.

May even go further and slightly increase the SW in my FW's for the sake of more flex

🔥 Latest posts