• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

US Open at Shinnecock Hills

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
This is a big one for me. As some of you know I spent two endless Summers looping here. It was on my bucket list to go to this, and I'll be in the US next week, but alas I'm in Austin and Boston working. But I'll be back home in time to watch the final round unfold on TV and cheer on knowledgeably at every shot.

I wrote a wee article here. Enjoy.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I was wondering if you were going to post on this. I thought for sure you would be attending! Bummer you're not able to.

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
I was wondering if you were going to post on this. I thought for sure you would be attending! Bummer you're not able to.

Yip, me too Eric. I had sown the seeds but would only be able to go for about 1/2 day. Too much hassle and I'd probably not get to see half of what I was expecting to. I should have gone for a week. Oh well, I'll have it all recorded and probably watch it about 10 times. I can't wait.

My bucket list trip is the Masters. I'm doing that before I peg it!!

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Yip, me too Eric. I had sown the seeds but would only be able to go for about 1/2 day. Too much hassle and I'd probably not get to see half of what I was expecting to. I should have gone for a week. Oh well, I'll have it all recorded and probably watch it about 10 times. I can't wait.

My bucket list trip is the Masters. I'm doing that before I peg it!!
Great article you wrote on Shinnecock Mark.

subsonic

Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2008
I knew you would be amped up about this IG! You should try to go up there and Snag a loop.

Write us a play by play caddie style for each Hole Geezer!

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
This is a big one for me. As some of you know I spent two endless Summers looping here. It was on my bucket list to go to this, and I'll be in the US next week, but alas I'm in Austin and Boston working. But I'll be back home in time to watch the final round unfold on TV and cheer on knowledgeably at every shot.

I wrote a wee article here. Enjoy.
Great write-up IG! This is my favorite major - it's always on Fathers Day, it's usually on or near my birthday, and it's the extreme test of skill and mental metal. It's a great weekend to be surrounded by family and enjoy the game on TV. I am one of those guys who likes to USGA to make this one event unfair. Its only once a year and it separates the men from the whiners. Goosen and Phil weren't complaining back in 2004! Man UP!

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Ray Floyd, Corey Pavin, and Retief Goosen. Not exactly a murderers row of former champions.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
They've stripped Fescue from the areas of the corporate tents and used it to narrow the fairways. The sod from the fairways is being stored at a local sod farm. Haven't heard how deep they will grow the rough, but I believe the USGA wants to return to making the U.S. Open a tiring and mentally defeating four rounds of golf. That's the U.S. Open we used to love. It was a true test for those who could put the ball in play, have the patience to work through the errant shots, and be able to putt on a bowling alley.
A couple of the top players are far from the most accurate off the tee. D.J. and Woods can hit it long, but not necessarily in front of them. Others have had trouble keeping their temper in check. Spieth can show mettle... or a melt down.
In addition to narrowing the fairways, they have lengthened the course. This keeps the long hitters, like D.J., as potential contenders but they cannot be missing fairways. "Bomb & Gouge" may be the PGA of today, but not the USGA. We need distance with accuracy. Those that have their mid-irons working may perform better than the wedge players. The 275 yard drive followed by a 6-iron may be light years ahead of the 350 yard drive and wedge... if the 350 yard drive is 10 yards wide of the fairway.
If this isn't 'bomb and gouge'... If this isn't links style golf... If this is a course set up uniquely different than most of the field is comfortable playing... the winner could be someone whose name is foreign to a leaderboard. I'm stoked. I'm excited. I just hope this gives us 4 days of nail-biting golf and a Sunday afternoon that does not allow us to know the winner until the final putt is made.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Hole #2 is a 252 yard par 3???!!!! Green protected by sand bunkers??!! Let's see. How would I play that hole? Lace a monster, for me, 200 yard drive down the fairway. Skull a wedge through a bunker with the ball ending up about 10 yards over the green. Bang a putter, rolling the ball back to the green. 3-jack from there and walk away with my 6. Tell the guys back home I "bogeyed" it, leaving out the word "triple".:D

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
I had inside word today that originated from a correspondent who walked a practise round on Monday with Woods and Spieth.

Apparently Woods was sharp and consistently out driving Spieth.

The rough is deep but the fairways are wider than the last time there.

The greens only have a small level spot where the flag is located. The other parts just slope away.

Verdict? Look for someone who’s a great ball striker with their (approach) irons.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
I had inside word today that originated from a correspondent who walked a practise round on Monday with Woods and Spieth.

The greens only have a small level spot where the flag is located. The other parts just slope away.

Verdict? Look for someone who’s a great ball striker with their (approach) irons.
From what I'm hearing, to compete on this course setup your putter will need to be "magical". Both Spieth and Woods have been struggling with the flatstick. And, as you say, someone is going to have to stick their approach shots in the perfect location to keep them on the greens.

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country

So... hit it long and straight, knock it close, and putt well? Solid plan. :D

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Keep an eye on the weather forecast. I heard yesterday that crazy high winds are forecast for Thursday afternoon. Some players in the afternoon grooup may be done after day 1 ...

Last edited:

🔥 Latest posts