• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

US Open at Shinnecock Hills

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
Not as nasty as yesterday, but still some questionable greens/pin positions. They need to soften up the greens a bit for the weekend.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Better call 911!! Looks like Lucas Glover has missed the cut. His wife will be kickin' someone's butt!!!!

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Well guys, what did I tell you?! The course is winning so far. That bit of wind fairly knocked the stuffing out of most. Only DJ, so far anyway, is winning. I’m en route back from Canada/US and missed a lot of the coverage, but from what I can see, it’s set up the way the USGA wanted it. Hard, fast and tricky. Do the players like it? Hell, no! Do the fans like it? Well, I’m not so sure. But I, for one, love it!

You can watch the bombers week in, week out. Most weeks -20 is winning. A veritable birdie fest! But for this week the script is different. Par golf wins. Some see that as boring, unfair. But I love watching the guys scratching their heads. Seeing them out of their comfort zone, getting frustrated, apportioning blame. I agree with Limp. It’s shotmaking time. A test of all aspects of the game, including patience. I hope today and tomorrow continue to play out the way the first few days have.

I just wish I was there to soak up some of the atmosphere. But I’ll be glued to the telly once I get home.

subsonic

Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2008
Well guys, what did I tell you?! The course is winning so far. That bit of wind fairly knocked the stuffing out of most. Only DJ, so far anyway, is winning. I’m en route back from Canada/US and missed a lot of the coverage, but from what I can see, it’s set up the way the USGA wanted it. Hard, fast and tricky. Do the players like it? Hell, no! Do the fans like it? Well, I’m not so sure. But I, for one, love it!

You can watch the bombers week in, week out. Most weeks -20 is winning. A veritable birdie fest! But for this week the script is different. Par golf wins. Some see that as boring, unfair. But I love watching the guys scratching their heads. Seeing them out of their comfort zone, getting frustrated, apportioning blame. I agree with Limp. It’s shotmaking time. A test of all aspects of the game, including patience. I hope today and tomorrow continue to play out the way the first few days have.

I just wish I was there to soak up some of the atmosphere. But I’ll be glued to the telly once I get home.

IG- How does the US Open setup compare with the norml setup? I have a friend in Pittsburgh who has played Oakmont a number of times. He said their normal setup was pretty close to what is played at the US Open. I am curious what Shinnecock was like.

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
IG- How does the US Open setup compare with the norml setup? I have a friend in Pittsburgh who has played Oakmont a number of times. He said their normal setup was pretty close to what is played at the US Open. I am curious what Shinnecock was like.

Hard to know, Jack, for sure. The greens look a lot firmer and quicker. There seems to be a lot more extended run offs. But the rough and the wind seems the same. They’ve also added several new tees, eg 14th is nearly 70 yards longer !

All I can say is that I’ve been very lucky to have played a lot of great courses in my days, and I would say SHGC is easily the toughest. There are about 3-4 relatively easy holes (1,4,8,13,15). The test are sooo hard. For me #10 was a beast. Such a hard second shot into a very shallow and wide green

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
What the heck??!!?? Have always seen Phil as one of the most laid back, even tempered players out there. To see him just snap... just lose it is so out of character. As they say, he's probably extremely embarrassed over his actions. Guess the pressure just got to him. Shows he's human......

🔥 Latest posts