• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

USGA Names Walker Cup Standout Robert C. Lewis Jr. as 2021 Bob Jones Award Recipient

Dogfish Head

Staff member
TEA is my HERO
Apr 8, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Country
United States United States
By USGA

LIBERTY CORNER, N.J. – Robert C. Lewis Jr., a veteran of six Walker Cup Matches who is renowned for his sportsmanship and integrity, has been named the recipient of the 2021 Bob Jones Award, the United States Golf Association's highest honor.

Robert Walker (USGA)​
Presented annually since 1955, the Bob Jones Award recognizes an individual who demonstrates the personal character and respect for the game exhibited by Jones, the winner of nine USGA championships whose integrity and spirit are considered the gold standard in golf.

The award recognizes Lewis' enduring sportsmanship, which has endeared him to teammates and opponents alike during a competitive career that spanned more than four decades. The native of Warren, Ohio, has demonstrated an appreciation for the spirit of the game by showing grace in both victory and defeat and has been unwavering in his personal accountability on and off the course.

"I am so deeply humbled to receive this award," said Lewis. "To be included among such a special group of influential figures in the game who I love and respect moves me beyond words.The USGA has played such an important role in my life. Many of my fondest memories in amateur golf come from representing our country as both a player and captain of the USA Walker Cup Team. Bob Jones was the ultimate amateur and I am truly honored to be included in his company."

Lewis' character is exemplified through service in his local community, where he has volunteered as the head golf coach at Gilmour Academy in Gates Mills, Ohio. There he instilled the virtues of integrity, etiquette and respect, and emphasized the need for student-athletes to be well-rounded. Lewis served as an important role model who was tireless in his behind-the-scenes efforts to build long-term financial support for the program.

Additionally, Lewis sat on the board of the Northeastern Ohio chapter of Boys Hope Girls Hope, a program that provides at-risk youths with support to develop into successful adults. He also played a leading role in establishing the "Values and Visions" education endowment in support of Catholic education in his home county, which has provided more than $2 million to support local education opportunities.

Source: USGA Names Walker Cup Standout Robert C. Lewis Jr. as 2021 Bob Jones Award Recipient

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.