• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Vail Phil Mickelson

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
philmickelson_crouchLarge.jpg

Let me start by saying - I like the guy. I like his shot making ability. I like his warm & honest nature. I like his resolve. I like watching him play.

All of that said, I think Phil is on the slide. He won the US Masters earlier in the year but after that he didn't set the world on fire. He had the opportunity to take No. 1 whilst Tiger was in melt down. Nope. That didn't happen. Along comes Lee Westwood. Now Tiger has pushed Phil out of No. 2 spot. Then there's GMac & Kaymer who've shown they're very interested in the top ranking. I haven't seen anything from Phil indicating "Hey, back in your box boys".

Will 2011 be the year of the "Mickel-slide"? I think so.

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
I think he's done. I mean, he'll sure be playing at a top level at some point in the year, but he doesn't seem to still have what it takes to keep winning on top. Its sad, as a left handed, we all cheer for the "weird guy" lol

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Warm and honest nature?

I never got that from him...

Anyway, i have witnessed glints of genius from phil...but mostly his game is boring to me...

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I wouldn't be so quick to count Phil out, he has alot going on outside the ropes-gotta remember that.

Also, I wouldn't be so quick to crown Kaymer and Gmac. As you like to point out in the #1 thread, they could both be the next Cink, Glover, Immelman and begin the inevitable fade into bolivion!

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
You can't count Phil out. He just won the Masters. At least give the guy another year before you say he is done.

Clarke, how can you say Phil is boring? I think he is anything but boring. If there is a risk reward opportunity, you can bet Phil will go for it. I mean, I think that is one of Phil's biggest flaws, not knowing when to be conservative.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
You can't count Phil out. He just won the Masters. At least give the guy another year before you say he is done.

Clarke, how can you say Phil is boring? I think he is anything but boring. If there is a risk reward opportunity, you can bet Phil will go for it. I mean, I think that is one of Phil's biggest flaws, not knowing when to be conservative.

I know...he goes for the big shots...

Watching him just never left me thinking he was a great golfer, i know he is good, there is no doubt about that. It's probably just me, i just never liked him as a golfer. Maybe its the fact that he stands on the wrong side of the ball and his clubs are backwards...idk.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I know...he goes for the big shots...

Watching him just never left me thinking he was a great golfer, i know he is good, there is no doubt about that. It's probably just me, i just never liked him as a golfer. Maybe its the fact that he stands on the wrong side of the ball and his clubs are backwards...idk.

Or for every tourney he's won going for broke he's probably lost one the same way. So what, he has something like 40 wins and 4 Majors. He should have had 65 wins and at least 7 Majors

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
Phil's wife and mother both have just recovered from bouts with breast cancer. I would guess Phil has a lot more on his mind than the world rankings. I have also never pictured Phil as a guy who really gives a shit about rankings. Phils plays golf for the fun he has playing it. The facts he makes 75 million a year doing it is a bonus.

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
I wouldn't be surprised to see him fade away.

By the same token, I wouldn't be surprised to see him win multiple majors next year. You just never know.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Through his career, PM has seemed to put family first. Had he spent more time honing his game and less time being a family man, he may have won even more. However, he found that a rational mix of career and family allowed him to make a VERY good living while spending significant time with his loved ones.
PM has dealt with rumored gambling issues... and seemed to overcome them. He won a major while dealing with his wife and mother ill with life-threatening issues. He's had his share of a 'monied' life... and his share of dealing with things money cannot buy a way out of.
The recent Golf Magazine interview with Bones... PM's career-long caddy was enlightening. Gave a good glimpse into the loyalty PM feels towards the friendship he and Bones have developed.
Will PM ever gain the WGR #1 position? I honestly doubt it. He can continue making a good living, having fun at the game, and being there for his family. I don't know that being known as the #1 golfer in the world means a hoot to him... if he has the other three things. From all appearances, PM seems to be well grounded and an asset to the legacy of the great game of golf.

OP
TheTrueReview

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Since this thread started, Lefty has slid from world No. 2 to world No. 5. Not good.

OP
TheTrueReview

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Has he even played?

Doesn't matter. He's had the same choices as the others. He didn't perform well in the HSBC before xmas. He didn't perform well in Abu Dhabi. He's now No. 5.

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
Phil is defanitely on the downside. I think he will show flashes of brilliance but he is slowly sliding back toward being an average tour player.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Doesn't matter. He's had the same choices as the others. He didn't perform well in the HSBC before xmas. He didn't perform well in Abu Dhabi. He's now No. 5.

Sure it does, its more impressive if both players are playing well and one passes the other. To me, and I bet many others, its meaningless for one guy to pass another when one of them hasn't played since before Christmas and typically doesn't play much in the first few months of the year.

To me its just a shrug of the shoulder that Phil has dropped since he hasn't played much.

I would tend to agree with Fisher though, with all the off the course things going on in Lefty's world and the fact that he's older, I see him starting to slide.

🔥 Latest posts