• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Valspar Championship 2018

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
What I did not miss during Tiger’s sabitical...every golf headline telling you where Tiger finished rather than reporting who won.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
What I did not miss during Tiger’s sabitical...every golf headline telling you where Tiger finished rather than reporting who won.
Oh, someone won a golf tournament? Guess I missed that. All I heard on ESPN, local sports segments, national news broadcasts, Sunday paper sports page headlines, etc. was .......... Well, I guess someone who used to win a few golf tournaments is playing again and has the full attention of the sports world.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Very few people care about the lackluster PGA Tour, absent TW...
The "true" golf addict has been able to enjoy a large number of exciting finishes to Tour events. I would much rather see these tournaments go to the 72nd hole... or into sudden death... than see one player run away with tournament after tournament. Viewership is up when Woods is in the field. Much of that, today, is due to the sports news industry hoping for a return to the days when Woods was always in contention and people were tuning in.
What sport, today, isn't suffering from declining viewership? NFL, MLB, NBA, much of the NCAA sports telecasts. Participation in high school sports is in decline. The NCAA is reft with corruption. The world of sports is changing.

If... IF Woods' return is successful and if he remains competitive, I don't see him winning week after week like in his heyday. If his return is successful to the point we have another player who can keep interest in golf on Sunday afternoons going until the final holes of a tournament, it will be good for the Game. There will be those who will tune in ONLY because Woods is in the field. Will those be the folks who will show up at courses and play? Can they put their cell phones and video games down long enough to play golf for 4 hours... or longer?

I want the PGA Tour strong. I want exciting tournaments. I want whatever it takes to re-energize the masses, hopefully leading to more people coming to our local course and playing golf. I'm selfish! What's good for golf should be good for our course which should work to keep playing costs affordable while providing the dollars needed for courses maintenance. If a Tiger Woods return contributes to that... more power to him.

Dufferpauly

Jan 23, 2018
Country
This is an excellent summary! As an older player who started playing in the 60s as a kid, I loved the Jack days as Arnie began to age out a little. Of course the tour had it’s issues then, too. But as a senior who can’t relate to swing coaches, sports psychologists, fitness trailers and fitted clubs (I am a high single digit player using 2015 Callys and an old Ben Hogan grind wedge and enjoy a drink and sometimes a smoke on the course), today’s tour is dull. A new unknown seems to win every week, and all this Baba Booey yelling is very off putting. Yeah, I know - dying breed and all that...but the game I love so much needs new players - not the twice a year kind, but the “me” kind - the every weekend and sneak away from work once a week and go out after work when DST comes kind...I have had a love affair with our game for over 50 years...I always have a tee in my pocket...I never practice- I just can’t wait to tee it up with the fellas (or sometimes if everyone is busy show up as a single and play with new guys)...every round brings something new - every round is joyous, even the 85 in the rain last weekend here in SoCal...so this Valspar thing with TW chaging and scowling and fist pumping and stalking was so great!!! I want him in the hunt ever week...

I play with 3 old hacks who feel as I do about our game - one is stratch, one is an 18, and the third is about like me...we are muni players and believe our LA City muni tracks like Wilson and Hansen and Harding and even 6 hour Rancho Park are old friends to be treasured and loved...

I hope it’s not just us that feel this way...

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Great viewing last night. Felt like Tiger was never away. 4 or 5 guys in the mix right to the wire. Happy to see Casey win, he's been there for such a long time and never converted. It's all gearing up nicely for Augusta, so many runners coming into form. I'm going to have to get in early to copy Limp's predictions! ;)

sssmokin

Retired and loving it
Supporting Member
Jul 2, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Country
This is an excellent summary! As an older player who started playing in the 60s as a kid, I loved the Jack days as Arnie began to age out a little. Of course the tour had it’s issues then, too. But as a senior who can’t relate to swing coaches, sports psychologists, fitness trailers and fitted clubs (I am a high single digit player using 2015 Callys and an old Ben Hogan grind wedge and enjoy a drink and sometimes a smoke on the course), today’s tour is dull. A new unknown seems to win every week, and all this Baba Booey yelling is very off putting. Yeah, I know - dying breed and all that...but the game I love so much needs new players - not the twice a year kind, but the “me” kind - the every weekend and sneak away from work once a week and go out after work when DST comes kind...I have had a love affair with our game for over 50 years...I always have a tee in my pocket...I never practice- I just can’t wait to tee it up with the fellas (or sometimes if everyone is busy show up as a single and play with new guys)...every round brings something new - every round is joyous, even the 85 in the rain last weekend here in SoCal...so this Valspar thing with TW chaging and scowling and fist pumping and stalking was so great!!! I want him in the hunt ever week...

I play with 3 old hacks who feel as I do about our game - one is stratch, one is an 18, and the third is about like me...we are muni players and believe our LA City muni tracks like Wilson and Hansen and Harding and even 6 hour Rancho Park are old friends to be treasured and loved...

I hope it’s not just us that feel this way...
I agree with you 100% (being an old fart myself). The guy yelling "dilly dilly" every time someone hit really bugged me.

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
I agree with you 100% (being an old fart myself). The guy yelling "dilly dilly" every time someone hit really bugged me.
We were on the 16th green on Friday about 3pm and there was a drunken idiot next to us lying on the ground just under the ropes. We were about 35 feet off the greenside bunkers. This idiot kept yelling "GET IN THE HOLE" at the top of his lungs. He was so loud, the caddies looked over our way every time. In between putts he would yell Go SERGIO, or KUUUUUUUCH, or SNEDS as loud as he could - we're literally only 10 or 15 yards off the green. Finally Sergio's caddy asks a volunteer to take care of it and by the time he came over, the idiot decides it's time to leave. Good grief.

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
We were on the 16th green on Friday about 3pm and there was a drunken idiot next to us lying on the ground just under the ropes. We were about 35 feet off the greenside bunkers. This idiot kept yelling "GET IN THE HOLE" at the top of his lungs. He was so loud, the caddies looked over our way every time. In between putts he would yell Go SERGIO, or KUUUUUUUCH, or SNEDS as loud as he could - we're literally only 10 or 15 yards off the green. Finally Sergio's caddy asks a volunteer to take care of it and by the time he came over, the idiot decides it's time to leave. Good grief.
Tell the truth. He was you wasn't he?

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.