• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Vanilla wedges

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
United States United States
Anybody hear of vanilla wedges? I really like their loft/lie offerings and the price is right as well at $25 per head.

https://www.theclubnut.com/online-store/Vanilla-Wedge-RAT-head-p108597574

539379079.jpg

539379081.jpg

539379080.jpg

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Let me know how you find them. I'm interested in new wedges for 2019.

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
Each one is hand-finished and customizable. Damn, that's pretty good stuff. It's 8620 steel but I don't think they harden them so they'll wear and oxidize, but for $25 you could get extras for later.

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Each one is hand-finished and customizable. Damn, that's pretty good stuff. It's 8620 steel but I don't think they harden them so they'll wear and oxidize, but for $25 you could get extras for later.
Normally they don't (can't) harden them (unless they carburize them) but sometimes chrome plate them.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
8620 is a common "carburizing" steel used (in many gears) by many manufacturers. If you just quenched them they "might" get around 30 HRC. And also doing that would take away the "soft" feel which is why they use 8620 in the first place.

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
8620 can be hardened (either thru heat-treating or by case-hardening) but heat-treating would make it more brittle. A good case-harden on the face/sole would work, I would think; it would last way longer but would lose some feel.

edit: Ha! You beat me to the response.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Found this on their website....

Note: The Vanilla wedge head is made far lighter than average. approx 290g +/- If assembling on your own, you will likely need significant weight to achieve your desired swingweight, especially if using lighter or shorter shafts. The Vanilla was meant to build to 35.5" Playing Length with a standard 50g grip to meet the D2.5 swingweight.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
8620 can be hardedned (either thru heat-treating or by case-hardedning) but heat-treating would make it more brittle. A good case-harden on the face/sole would work, I would think; it would last way longer but would lose some feel.

edit: Ha! You beat me to the response.
If they just hardened it, it would not be brittle. There's not enough (.20%) carbon to get very hard.

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
If they just hardened it, it would not be brittle. There's not enough (.20%) carbon to get very hard.
Fair point. That's also why I said they could case-harden it, in which case 8620 is one of the best steels to use.

At any rate, they look good but the weight is enough for me to say no, hardened or not.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.