• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Volunteered at the web.com again.

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
United States United States
WinCo Foods Portland Open presented by Kraft-Heinz

Saturday and Sunday mornings I worked the fairway and greenside suites on 18 again. Met one of the pros, Tim Madigan after his round on Saturday. He chilled with us and had a beer, thanked us for everything, then went out and shot 64 the next morning.

This was my post Sunday morning.

upload_2016-8-29_8-38-2.png

By 1pm my shift was over and it was on to the beer garden where I chatted it up with the security guard. He ran security for Kenny Loggins when he played (music, not golf) at the tournament on Monday night. Then he gave me a stack of free beer coupons. Jackpot!

Walked a few holes, talked to some cool volunteers, then back to the suite for more free beers and to watch the finish. Hung out for the award ceremony but didn't stay for the dinner this year. I was too tired and, what my wife calls, "golf drunk." Luckily a friend was driving.

Will do it again next year!

OP
TEA Time

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
Did you get "Golf Drunk" again?
LOL - I did not. I did get a bunch of free drinks but I wound up working the entire day (was supposed to only work first half) so I needed to maintain. I met the Tournament Director and his family, too, they were in my suite so I had to be on my best behavior.

OP
TEA Time

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
Just got my shift assignments for this year. Saturday and Sunday mornings, same suites. :cool:
39442048_1790670517678671_3162723181295304704_n.jpg

I went to the volunteer tent to have lunch and sat down next to some long-haired Aussie. Turned out to be Curtis Luck. Nice kid. Needs a haircut.

Crazy shit of the week: on Friday Kevin Stadler hit an errant tee shot and in disgust slammed his club into the ground. The shaft snapped about 6" above the hosel and the clubhead went flying into the gallery, hitting a dude in the head giving him a concussion and splitting his head open requiring stitches. I guess Kevin felt shitty about it for the rest of the round. :eek:

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
I'm guessing the small print on the ticket for attending events such as this reads so that players, organizers, and the course are not liable for instances such as this...but I could be wrong. Sort of like baseball games...you take a flying bat to the face, and you're pretty much on your own.

OP
TEA Time

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
I'm guessing the small print on the ticket for attending events such as this reads so that players, organizers, and the course are not liable for instances such as this...but I could be wrong. Sort of like baseball games...you take a flying bat to the face, and you're pretty much on your own.
I would tend to agree and my assumption was that Kevin would pay as a show of good faith.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
... into the gallery, hitting a dude in the head giving him a concussion and splitting his head open requiring stitches. I guess Kevin felt shitty about it for the rest of the round.

I’m guessing the other guy felt shittier.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.