• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Walked 9 holes

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
I walked 9 holes today. The 1st nine I have been able to walk since my diagnosis with cancer. I won't lie and say I wasn't worn out when I finished, and even sat down a couple of times on the benches and sat for a while to catch my breath, but I made it all nine holes, and even shot a semi respectable 44. And that included two holes where I shot a double and a triple bogey back to back before I sat down. I throttled back my swing, kept my driver in play, and had a blast.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Sounds like a great day!!!

I always seem to shoot better when I walk. I tend to play more conservatively, mainly because i don't want to be walking any further than I have to on this 508yd par 5, and also because i seem more concentrated on the game and have more time between shots to decide on a good action plan for the upcoming shot. Also, that extra time lets me get over a bad shot and not let it bring my next shot down.

Glad to hear you're out and about doing what you love MD, that's really what it's all about in the end.

OP
mddubya

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Thanks guys, and Clark, I always play better walking. I've been playing a little bit the past couple of months, but always rode. It felt great to get out with the Trekker TC3 push cart and get some actual exercise. And shooting 44 felt pretty good too, :D

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
Nice goin! Nothing like walking to bring out the true spirit of the game. I rarely walk because none of my friends ever want to. When I do get a chance to walk, (usually by myself)I really enjoy it. I guess you get to stop and smell the roses, so to speak.

Glad to hear that you're out knocking it around MD.

floggerrushmd

Supporting Member
Jul 11, 2008
Congrats on getting out, and for a solid 44 on your first nine back walking. Keep up the good work.

OP
mddubya

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Thanks a lot guys, really. It felt great to get out and walk 9 holes. And your right golfaholic, walking gives me more of a chance to enjoy the scenery, not to mention the chance to cool off after the occasional bad shot. And keeping my driver in play added to the fun tremendously.

It's funny how we, well, me at least. Put so much importance as to how our round went as to how we hit the driver off the tee box. I tried playing again today but could lonly make 7 holes, but I was still hitting my driver good. Not far, not perfect, but in play on every hole I pulled it out. It has taken several injuries, and the big "C" for me to come to the realization that 245-255 and in play, is better than 275-290, and the occasional 300 yard drive, but Lord only knew where they were going to end up. Would I love to still be able to crush the ball, hell yeah I wish I could. But hey, I'm 51, be 52 in December, have torn up both shoulders, have a bad back, and have cancer. I'll take 250 in the fairway or second cut, over 300 and in the woods any day of the week, lol.

Seriously, I have probably cut my swing back 25%, partially my own decision, a lot due to the nerve damage in my rib from the Shingles. I took the hybrids back out of the bag, put my old trusty Maltby 250- 21º 7 wood back in, narrowed my stance a bit, and I'm striking the ball better than I have in years.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
"But hey, I'm 51, be 52 in December, have torn up both shoulders, have a bad back, and have cancer. I'll take 250 in the fairway or second cut, over 300 and in the woods any day of the week, lol."

First, it is so good to hear that you are getting out!! Wow!! We've "heard" the frustration in many of your posts. You have had a rough summer. Yet, to be able to now enjoy the game again is awesome!

The quote from your post is so true! As we age... and life hands us unexpected turns... I believe we understand how blessed we are to enjoy the "little blessings". No matter what we are handed, there are so many less fortunate. Am I pleased to still be working at age 65? Of course not. But, there are so many who are without employment or no longer have the good health required to provide income. Am I pleased when I can no longer hit it as far as some of the young flat-bellies? Of course not. I just count my blessing that I have the privilege to enjoy the game and the company of fellow golfers. Am I pleased that every morning when I awake something hurts? I'm just pleased to know that, if something hurts, I woke up and have been given one more day on this Earth.

Keep moving forward. Don't overdo it!! But, keep that positive attitude that you WILL wake tomorrow to walk a few more holes. Distance? Who really gives a crap??!! Score? Likewise!! Being able to keep a ball in play, find it, and hit it again... PRICELESS!!!

OP
mddubya

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Keep moving forward. Don't overdo it!! But, keep that positive attitude that you WILL wake tomorrow to walk a few more holes. Distance? Who really gives a crap??!! Score? Likewise!! Being able to keep a ball in play, find it, and hit it again... PRICELESS!!!

Limpalong, I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I would love to get together with you one day for a round. Your posts usually crack me up, but this one nailed it right on the head. It took me realizing I was lucky to still be here, still able to get out and play this game I love, still able to put what I've been told is a good looking swing on the ball and watch as it climbs gracefully up into the air, arches ever so slightly in a gentle draw, and land pretty much where I was aiming it.

So what if its taking a 8 or 7 iron to reach where a 9 iron once did, so what if I'm not out driving my playing partners, I've discovered playing from beside them in the fairway at the 150 yard marker is actually a lot better than playing from the 100 yard marker occasionally, but usually hacking it out of the woods, (if I could even find it). AS I said in another post, I'm even getting ready to build a belly putter in a effort to shave a few strokes off my score, a 80 with a belly putter would be better than a 85 with a Scotty.

But mainly it took me not even being sure I was ever going to get to play golf again period, for me to learn to enjoy it again. Do I know how many Sunday golf outtings I have left? No, but all that has done is made me make sure I enjoy the ones I do have left, the ones I am up to getting out there with my buds and hacking it around.

Yeah, it's been a rough summer, and I'm not out of the woods yet, according to my doctors, it could always make a turn for the worse, or come back, (covering their arses I hope, lol), and I won't lie and say there aren't days it doesn't anger me that I've basically lost a summer at this stage of my life. But as you so eloquently put it my friend, the fact that I'm still around, back out, and playing again, - PRICELESS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
mddubya

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Walked another 9 holes this evening. Not only did I shoot another 44, even with 4 brain fart shots, but I didn't lose a single ball, and I beat my oldest son by 2 strokes and out drove him on two holes. Now that was priceless !!!!!!!! :D

🔥 Latest posts