• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Wall Mounting a Flat Screen TV

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
I know we got a few Tech Junkies here...

Anyone wall mounted TV's?

I'm about to order a 42" Plasma for my mancave to replace my 32" LCD, which is working great...but, well, I wanted a bigger and better TV...

Samsung - 42" Class / 720p / 600Hz / Plasma HDTV - PN42C450B1D

The Entertainment unit that is currently housing the 32" will not fit the 42". So, my best option is to wall mount it.

I was looking at this mount:

HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more!

Anyone gone through this that can provide some helpful tips?

Thanks,

-YG

N.V.M.

now...a cartoon
Sep 27, 2008
yup. thats pretty much the same one i have. not much to it. that back plate gets attached to the wall with the supplied 3/8" or 1/2" lag bolts(hex head with pointed threaded shaft). you'll need to predrill probably with a 1/4" bit and then use a ratchet. notice its wide enough to grab two studs in your wall. make damn sure you get two studs!

the two vertical pieces get attached to your tv, then you just clip the tv with the attached pieces to the backplate. you may want to get a hand doing this, its a bit awkward lifting the tv and clipping it on.

you may want to poke a hole in your wall before you hang your tv too(first pic). to get the clean no cable look, you'll need two holes actually. one right behind the tv and one lower down and then fish your cables through so they all come out down low behind a lower cabinet(second pic)
tv1.jpg
tv2.jpg

Johnny Par

Supporting Member
Sep 5, 2006
Nice job NVM.

Unfortunately, I can't help but can add this, listen to NVM regarding the studs, make sure you get them. I've heard many a horror stories.

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007
Hey YG... I used that exact same mount for my Samsung LN52B750 LCD TV in my living room this past fall. It's a very good mount, solid construction, good quality hardware and was easy to install.

Like others said, make sure to hit two studs with the lag bolts and you should be golden. You should level the mount bracket on the wall, that will get the TV very close to level on the first try but you may need to tweak it once or twice until it's exactly level.

Other than that it's easy but it is a two person job getting the TV hung. One person can handle the mount just fine.

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
Nothing else to add.

Find the center of your studs, and makes sure you get TWO of them.

The mount is the same one I have from Monoprice. Best mount, and it's a 16th of the price of the other stores. The hardware they include isn't bad, but it'll work just fine.

Find the studs, and mark them. Get the height that you want the TV at.. Figure out your normal viewing height, and go up a little bit. You don't want to be looking down at the TV, it's not natural.

Install the plate on the back with the washer and big bolts, and make sure it's level.

Beyond that, you screw the two hook mounts to the back of the TV. Make sure you use the right screws. Too long and you will mess your TV up!

I'd advise running the wires through the wall. Buy some of the in-wall HDMI cables from monoprice. Worth the price and get them extra long. I got the short HDMI connectors for the TV to the in-wall HDMI's. Keeps the weight of the wires off the HDMI ports on the TV, so they fit snugly and won't come out and fatigue the connections on the TV. You can get a gang-wall plate with the opening on it if you want a cleaner look too.

You could hang the TV alone, but get someone to help you anyways.. I got the low profile tilt mount and it works great. I have around 2 inches from the wall to the TV.

OP
Youngun5

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
Alright!

Got everything ordered today.

Wall Mount, and TV.

Had been planning on getting the TV through Best Buy, but no local pickup was available anywhere...and when I went to order it for Delivery...they said it wasn't available.....

So, I can still get my Discover Card 5% back through Sears, which is where I ordered it from.

Shouldn't be getting it until April 13th....my Birthday! Got the Mount from Monoprice, and also ordered a Blu Ray player from CompUSA.

...Stay Tuned.

Not quite sure I want to send my cables through the wall just yet. I can devise a way to hide them just as easily.

OP
Youngun5

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
Just got the TV in this morning!

Dad and I put the mount up this past Saturday, wasn't too bad. One of the lag screws was being a tough mother to get in all the way. Ended up drilling out just a slightly bigger hole to get it in. We were able to get the mount onto 3 wall studs. Dad said we have way too much mount for a 40 lb TV....said we could hook a truck up to the mount, and the wall would pull out before the mount did haha.

Before and After Pics!
IMG_0229.jpg
IMG_0230.jpg
IMG_0251.jpg
IMG_0252.jpg

🔥 Latest posts

Members online