• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

We have some doctors here right? Question for you

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
So, there's this argument in the hunting world that there is a 'dead zone' or 'no mans land' in a deer that exists below the spine and above the lungs where hunters can zip an arrow through the rib cage, hit no vital organ, and the deer lives and heals with seemingly no issues.

Do the lungs fill the available space inside the rib cage? Is there an air gap that exists between the lungs and the surrounding tissue?

Even if an air gap DID exist, wouldn't putting a 1-2" hole in the rib cage and exposing the area surrounding the lungs to atmospheric pressure cause the lungs to collapse and kill the deer?

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
Deer are no different than any other mammal. The lungs are separated from the rib cage by a very small pleural space, defined by the pleural membrane, which allows the lungs to slide easily as they expand and contract. If the lung was not damaged, and only the pleural was torn, it could heal easily enough. If the lung was damaged, whatever cow you shot while thinking it was a deer, would develop a pneumo and/or hemothorax. Fatality would depend on the severity of the blood loss and respiratory compromise.

And you're still a dick.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
Deer are no different than any other mamm al. The lungs are separated from the rib cage by a very small pleural space, defined by the pleural membrane, which allows the lungs to slide easily as they expand and contract. If the lung was not damaged, and only the pleural was torn, it could heal easily enough. If the lung was damaged, whatever cow you shot while thinking it was a deer, would develop a pneumo and/or hemothorax. Fatality would depend on the severity of the blood loss and respiratory compromise.

And you're still a dick.
Damn...at least when I insult him, he knows I love his wi...um, him...yeah, him...

OP
eclark53520

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Deer are no different than any other mammal. The lungs are separated from the rib cage by a very small pleural space, defined by the pleural membrane, which allows the lungs to slide easily as they expand and contract. If the lung was not damaged, and only the pleural was torn, it could heal easily enough. If the lung was damaged, whatever cow you shot while thinking it was a deer, would develop a pneumo and/or hemothorax. Fatality would depend on the severity of the blood loss and respiratory compromise.

And you're still a dick.

Ok, so if I shove an arrow with a 1"-2.5" wide broadhead through the chest cavity of a deer, there's essentially no way to miss the lungs via some 'void' space created when the lungs 'deflate' during an exhale procedure.

Impossible to have passed an anatomy class and believe there is a 'void' in a deer. IMO....of course.

Thanks, Doc! I knew I could count on you to win me some internet.

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
It seems to me, when mammals exhale, their chest cavity shrinks with the exhalation of air. When they inhale, the chest cavity expands. It seems the chest cavity is tightly coupled to the lungs. Where would this void be?

🔥 Latest posts