• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Webb Simpson Poised for Short Putter Change

Dogfish Head

Staff member
TEA is my HERO
Apr 8, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Country
United States United States

Webb Simpson​
WEBB SIMPSON, WHO RECENTLY SAID the 2014 Ryder Cup was a "terrible experience," finished T4 at the Shriners Hospitals for Children Open in Las Vegas. With four rounds in the 60s, Simpson finished 15 under for the tournament, five shots behind Ben Martin, who collected his first win on the PGA Tour in his 58th start.

Simpson has been using a belly putter since his collegiate days at Wake Forest a decade ago, but the four-time PGA Tour winner and 2012 U.S. Open champions is mindful that change is coming in 14 months. Mandated by the USGA and The R&A, the anchored putting ban will go into effect January 1, 2016.

According to Tour Report at PGATour.com, Simpson has been experimenting with four or five short putters at home for the past two years. Simpson uses short putters about half the time during his home practice sessions and casual rounds. Now he's very close to putting a short putter in his bag for competitive play. It could happen as soon as next month at the Dunlop Phoenix Open.

"I may switch for Japan in a few weeks," Simpson told PGATour.com, "but I’m still just trying to make sure I’m ready to go and have worked on everything I need to work on before I start."

If the audition is a success, Simpson said the short putter could earn a permanent spot in his golf bag during 2015.

Source: Webb Simpson Poised for Short Putter Change

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Sounds like that there are more than a few 'head issues' that are involved with the changeover.

🔥 Latest posts