• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Wedge Talk

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
In an attempt to stop jacking people's classifieds or other more one person specific threads, i'm starting this one as a general thread for anyone to speak on whatever they're thinking as it pertains to wedges. Love yours? Hate yours? Found some ya like? Whatever your thoughts on wedges, speak on it here!

OP
nututhugame

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
... picking up where I left off over in another thread. I have no intention of ever going back to a 4 wedge setup (including PW). It's just too much. I did pretty well with 54* & 60*, the majority of the work being handled by the 54* and the 60* coming in to save my butt when I needed that one shot only a 60* can pull off. I think i'm going to go back to that setup.

I've been looking closely at all sorts of wedges and while Vokeys were just never in my price range they've come into my sights as of late. As much as I ho I would actually love to just play some wedges till the life is gone from them. I have always bought "deals" and while I a lot of them were pretty good I just never paid enough attention to my wedge needs before buying. I'm done with that approach (pun intended). It's time to get some gamers.

The wedge I have now is not bad, I actually kinda like it. There are a couple of issues though... 1. I don't have that high soft option that a 60* gives you when you need to pitch it over a bunker from the short side. Mine gets it over, but with too much roll out. 2. I have to swing harder than I want to to get the intended full swing yardage from it. It's just a bit too much of a gap from the PW. 3. It is a tad gimmicky.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
... picking up where I left off over in another thread. I have no intention of ever going back to a 4 wedge setup (including PW). It's just too much. I did pretty well with 54* & 60*, the majority of the work being handled by the 54* and the 60* coming in to save my butt when I needed that one shot only a 60* can pull off. I think i'm going to go back to that setup.

I've been looking closely at all sorts of wedges and while Vokeys were just never in my price range they've come into my sights as of late. As much as I ho I would actually love to just play some wedges till the life is gone from them. I have always bought "deals" and while I a lot of them were pretty good I just never paid enough attention to my wedge needs before buying. I'm done with that approach (pun intended). It's time to get some gamers.

The wedge I have now is not bad, I actually kinda like it. There are a couple of issues though... 1. I don't have that high soft option that a 60* gives you when you need to pitch it over a bunker from the short side. Mine gets it over, but with too much roll out. 2. I have to swing harder than I want to to get the intended full swing yardage from it. It's just a bit too much of a gap from the PW. 3. It is a tad gimmicky.

What wedge (loft/bounce) are you using now?

With a little practice, I can play every shot with a 54 that I can with a 60. It does get up faster and makes some shots easier though, it take some practice though.

OP
nututhugame

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
What wedge (loft/bounce) are you using now?

With a little practice, I can play every shot with a 54 that I can with a 60. It does get up faster and makes some shots easier though, it take some practice though.
It's a 55* with what they call "tri-bounce". Not even real sure what exactly the bounce is in *, but it's a heel and toe relief type deal.

Fitzpatrick

Good Walk Spoiler
Supporting Member
Dec 19, 2006
Other than my 47 degree PW, I have a 52 and a 56 (both Vokeys). I have played a 4 wedge setup as well, and also a different 2 wedge setup (excluding the PW) wherein I used a 54 and a 60. Currently, I find that I do not use the 56 for a lot for shots that aren't in fluffier lies, but I use the 52 for most other short game shots. Even got it to spin back once (not that it did any good...the ball wasn't even pin high when it first landed). But when I had the 60, I had so many shots that came up short. Be the chipping or pitching, that 60 was a hard club to get right. Interestingly, if I ever feel the need to hit a floppy type shot from a fluffy lie, my favorite club to use is me PW. By all rights, it should not have enough loft and too much bounce to be any good, but it works out more times than not.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I don't know why but I have an issue with sets that have a 46* pw. Ideally if like 48, but 47 works too. I know it's only a degree or 2 but it bugs me.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Who's are you referring to? Or was that just a thought?
nobody in particular. I just dont like a 46* PW as a rule, its a me issue and purely mental since 1* here or there hardly would be noticeable in my hands.

OP
nututhugame

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
nobody in particular. I just dont like a 46* PW as a rule, its a me issue and purely mental since 1* here or there hardly would be noticeable in my hands.
Just a thought, I see. Mine is 47*. I wouldn't mind 48*, but I like my PW.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Just a thought, I see. Mine is 47*. I wouldn't mind 48*, but I like my PW.
When I played hogan blades, the pw was 48* and was deadly green side when I could play a bump and run. I shot my best round ever with hogan blades because of the Equalizer (Hogan pw), it was almost guaranteed that if I could play that shot it would be with 3ft. I haven't been good with that shot since.

Tennessee

Jan 31, 2014
Cleveland, TN
Country
I went through the "4 wedge setup" last summer. Didn't do anything but leave gaps somewhere around 125 to 140 yards.
I now have a 52' sand wedge, and a 48' pitching wedge. The sand is traditional, the PW is a hybrid. Pulled out the crazy chipping wedge also. Added another hybrid rescue wood. All better now.....
On the other hand, my collection is full of wedges from 52' all the way up to I think a 72' I found somewhere. That club was hit exactly one time, when I was on a steep hill to a straight downhill lie to a small green. Popped it up, and landed it. Never used it again, so pulled it.

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
I suppose the lowest degree wedge is the one you can stop the ball with. Maybe its a steep downhill to the green be cause you cooked the approach, but opening a 60 is about the last thing I could do. I have friends with 64, 58, 52 and then the irons. I could see that, but the calls I would have for a 64 are so few its not what I consider really. I took a high bounce 60/14 out of a pot bunker today without being able to stand on the sand, one of those bend your knees deals. It saved my bacon. I just dont have the game for a 64.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
The best thing I did for my wedge game was tell myself I'm not a pro and got some with more bounce.

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
I saw a video of Stan Utley hitting a ball off a cart path with a high bounce lob wedge.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.