• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Wedge Talk

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Wedges were my most hated part of hte game when I started. Mainly because I liked to hit most everything fat.

Now, they're probably my favorite part of the game. When I happen to get out and play...

I always liked the Vokey's...but $100+ for one wedge always put me off. I really like my forged Maltby wedges for $20 each. Too bad I can't find that model anymore.

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
Wedges were my most hated part of hte game when I started. Mainly because I liked to hit most everything fat.

Now, they're probably my favorite part of the game. When I happen to get out and play...

I always liked the Vokey's...but $100+ for one wedge always put me off. I really like my forged Maltby wedges for $20 each. Too bad I can't find that model anymore.
I'm a big fan of the same wedge. Have you ever considered sending them back to Maltby to have them refinished?

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
I might give these a try later this year.

0000051_maltby-tour-grind-mg-wedge_300.jpeg

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
"Diamonized"??? Wonder if our resident metalurgist, WBL, can splain what that is all about....

This is from The GolfWorks website:

The Diamonized Black Metal finish is a very thin chemically implanted coating that is twice as durable as traditional nickel chrome plating and 30 times more durable PVD coatings typically found on modern black wedges. The DMB finish will not “crack” or “peel” when being bent to custom specs yet is so strong it will actually extend the sharpness and overall shape of the precision milled MG grooves vs. any other wedge finish currently available.

Sounds impressive. I dare anyone to find a better wedge than this forged little beauty for the price (head for $35).

cybear

Sneak-e-bad Golf
Oct 31, 2014
Midlothian, Virginia
Country
I recently purchase a 3 wedge set of Hopkins Golf black stain wedges. My pitching wedge is an Adams 44 Degree a12os so I purchase a 48-08 full sole, 52-08 shelf grind, and a 56-14 channel grind with the Hopkins OTM Steel wedge flex shafts and Hopkins Lamkin stock grip. They came last week but had to wait five days to try them out due to the wet cold weather we been having here in Virginia. So on this Monday 12/15 we get a break so off I go to try them out. Frost delay till 10:30 am and temperature gets to 38 degrees in sun. So I know the ground is going to hard.

Short of 1st green about 15 yards, I use the 52 dig the toe in and pull the club face open had to yell for playing partner to get out of way as ball flys by his chest and across over the green. I am wondering what have I done. Second chip back on to the green about 12 yards away and roll to about 6 feet from hole. Whew, better. As I play the round I end up in a lot of traps today and fall in love the 56 channel grind. A few approach shots with good results with the 48 full sole. But mixed results with the 52 shelf grind, until the second nine. Then I beginning to get the hang of this club. I end up dropping 8 strokes between the front nine and the back nine. Mostly due to my better than usual wedge play on the back nine.

Great weight, the clubs feel heavier than my old Vokeys but I like the balance and weight. The black stain chrome looks great and held up well in the sand play. The club head does feel harder than the Vokeys. At first this felt strange but by the end of the round I liked the feel as the feedback was not at hall harsh and seem to be easier to tell where on the club face I hit the ball. The sound at impact was louder but by the end of the round I had quit noticing the sound. I would also say the head is slightly more compact than the Vokey.

From my initial results I think I am really going to enjoy this set. Looking forward to improving my wedge play and lowering my scores. Anyone looking for new wedges or custom wedges should take a close look at these sticks. If you don't customize the back with your name or special graphics then you can return them for full credit in the first 30 days. Look at their Facebook page for promos. I found one where you could buy 2 wedges and get one free.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.