• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Went to a demo day yesterday

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
I spent a little over 3 hours yesterday at a demo day. My first thought was why the hell is there a demo day going on with a little over a month only left in our season. No one is going to buy anything at this time of the year,, not here anyways.

I got to hit a lot of different drivers, some I liked, some I wouldnt kill snakes with.

Titty 907-D2 - Holy shit did I hit this thing high. I could use it as a nice 200 yard club for par threes and stop top flights on a dime. Unfortunately this isnt my goal with a driver a in my hands.

Titty 907-D1 - Better than the D2 but did nothing to make me want to hit more than once or twice. Being a guy who loves Titty clubs these are the worst 2 I have ever hit by a long shot.

Callaway Ft-5 - god I hate this driver. I hit this a long time ago and hated it, yesterday was more of the same. Feels like shit, and that was after trying about 10 shafts in it. No longer than anything else, and not as good as the FT-3 imo.

FT-i - this is really liked in some ways. I hit the LCG version and had some huge pokes with it. I dont mind loud drivers, but the high pitched sound this things makes is just too much. Results were excellent though, and would have no trouble bagging this even at its stock length. Nice mid height fades with good roll out.

Nike sumo 5900 - two swings and i moved on. I could build a more attrictive club using a block of wood, an old hockey stick and a roll of duct tape.

Sumo 5000 - meh, just a run of the mill driver. Did nothing in any area to get me to even crack a smile.

Ping G10 - why do people rave about these? Its exactly the same as the G2 I have in my garage, except the paint is shinier. I have never liked Ping drivers and this one is no exception.

Cobra speed LD - these I really liked. I was hammering this thing, high andstraight with a slight draw. Distance was equal to the ft-i except it sounded better, and that is even debatable.

Cobra LV-4 - Wow, what a dynamite club. The best OEM, off the rack club I have ever hit. I was crushing this thing. I have never hit a club with this light a shaft this well. One after the other were nailed. I hit one dead nuts on the heel and though I broke my damn fingers from the vibration, yet the ball still went out over 200 yards. When I say I hit it on the heel I mean dead on the heel, almost a shank. (the guy next to me hit an ft-i right as I was in mid swing and I flinched like a 4 year old girl with a spider on her arm). I hit thing for about 20 minutes with a few different shafts in it and ended up buying one with a pro-launch red in it. I cant remember the last time I bought an off the rack OEM stick, at 45 inches in length and had this much success with it. It appears to be very upright and I think this is part of the reason I really like it. I play my iron +3 and this thing has to be quite close imo. Gonna play 9 after work tonight and see how it is on the course.

One more thing, I played a nike 312 juice ball on Saturday and would like to know how the hell Nike expects to get $30 a box for these? This has to be one of the worst balls I have ever hit. Short, floaty and like a stone around the greens. I would a Top flight XL before one of these.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Cobra LV-4 - Wow, what a dynamite club. The best OEM, off the rack club I have ever hit. I was crushing this thing. I have never hit a club with this light a shaft this well. One after the other were nailed. I hit one dead nuts on the heel and though I broke my damn fingers from the vibration, yet the ball still went out over 200 yards. When I say I hit it on the heel I mean dead on the heel, almost a shank. (the guy next to me hit an ft-i right as I was in mid swing and I flinched like a 4 year old girl with a spider on her arm).
:wow:

I couldn't believe it when MG got rid of his. As much as he raved about that club, and now you raving about it, I suppose I'll have to give it a shot. Being the ho I am...:prop:

David Hillman

Apr 15, 2008
LyleG said:
My first
thought was why the hell is there a demo day going on with a little
over a month only left in our season. No one is going to buy anything
at this time of the year,, not here anyways.

LyleG said:
...ended up buying one with a pro-launch red in it

;)

You've been on this forum a lot longer than me... long enough to see that there is no offseason for buying clubs for some people.

That said, I have two other words for you; "Christmas list".

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
It's always interesting how some drivers work so well for some people and not at all for others and vice versa.... :)

I thought the L4V came with the Diamana Red..

I think R35 hates the LV Cobra, MG loves etc etc... :)

OP
LyleG

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
I thought the L4V came with a Diamana Red in it...

It does, a noodle made for cobra version of it. They had 4 or 5 there with upcharge shafts in them, and being late in the year the guy sold me the demo (after I told him if I cant buy it I am stealing it, take your pick).

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
So you've hit the PL Red before and liked it?

(the Cobra websight said there was no upcharge for the PL Red.. the only shaft on the list without an upcharge)...

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
Cobra speed LD - these I really liked. I was hammering this thing, high andstraight with a slight draw. Distance was equal to the ft-i except it sounded better, and that is even debatable.

Which speed was it? And which shaft?

My X Speed Pro S is probably too much club for my swing speed, but it's still the best driver I have ever owned. A "good" swing with it produces a great ball flight.

A "bad" swing with it, like I still do too many times, can produce some real stinkers. I hooked one yesterday that probably would have come back and hit me on the teebox, if it hadn't hit a tree first. On the next hole I hit a bigger slice than Phil ever has at a US Open, and that's saying something.

Finally, on the 9th tee, I got my swing back and it was a fairway finder for the rest of the day.

I seem to hit more fairways with it when I set up for a fade, but I really hate giving up those 10 yards of roll.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
If only MG was in the States and you weren't a GD lefty... :laugh:

Interesting. I've hit one in the shop with stock shaft. Obviously too light as well as my polar opposite bendpoint preference. I didn't really care for the feel of the club/ball contact, kind of like everything felt like a mishit... perhaps it was the case though, lol.

What other shafts did they have available? Also, what's the bore depth on those... borethrough? I never really looked at one long enough.

OP
LyleG

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
Which speed was it? And which shaft?

My X Speed Pro S is probably too much club for my swing speed, but it's still the best driver I have ever owned. A "good" swing with it produces a great ball flight.

A "bad" swing with it, like I still do too many times, can produce some real stinkers. I hooked one yesterday that probably would have come back and hit me on the teebox, if it hadn't hit a tree first. On the next hole I hit a bigger slice than Phil ever has at a US Open, and that's saying something.

Finally, on the 9th tee, I got my swing back and it was a fairway finder for the rest of the day.

I seem to hit more fairways with it when I set up for a fade, but I really hate giving up those 10 yards of roll.

I got the LV4 F speed in 10* with an S flex PL Red at 45 inches. They dont make the X speed in LH. Regardless I dont see any difference in the 2 other than the X looked quite open and the F quite square in terms of face angle. I was hitting this quite high but they still hit the ground running but good. It was the deepest I have ever hit a ball on this particular range. Everything was about a 5 yard draw, its was a thing of beauty.

OP
LyleG

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
So you've hit the PL Red before and liked it?

(the Cobra websight said there was no upcharge for the PL Red.. the only shaft on the list without an upcharge)...

I had never hit prior to today (not lefthanded anyways LOL). It says low launching but I would say its more mid. Yes, there is no upcharge, its just not one of the stock offerings. They had a real blue board, a real white board, an PL platinum and an NV 75. All they had in LH was the NV, the PL Red and the whiteboard. They wanted an extra $150 for the white board so I got the red instead as I hit them virtually the same. I got the thing for $199 Canadain, with full warrenty and headcover. I could have dont ebtter on the bay, but I never much like waiting.

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
I know the feeling, it always seems like LH'ers get the shaft with newer equipment. Everything comes out in RH first, then again they are the largest demographic in the sport. So I would be producing the stuff RH'ed first too.

You said you tried the LD F Speed?? I tried one out early in the spring and could do nothing but hook the ball. If I set myself up for a power fade I could get it to straighten out, but that was too awkward. Probably the wrong shaft was my guess?

Lyle, I noticed you carry a Snake Eyes wedge, did you build it? and would that mean you have access to other Snake Eyes products as well?? I have a thred already on them, but I'd never noticed you actually carry a club by them until today.

All they had in LH was the NV, the PL Red and the whiteboard. They wanted an extra $150 for the white board so I got the red instead as I hit them virtually the same. I got the thing for $199 Canadain, with full warrenty and headcover.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Good reviews, Lyle. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I couldn't get my head around the LV4. I hit that thing with about 8 different shafts and every club floated like a dead partridge and came down soft.

I did like the Speed D in the Cobra heads.

Prolaunch Red, eh? I included mine with the Adams I had as it was....soft.....to say the least.

I'm gonna try and track down a TP-6 over the winter and mate it to something cool for 09.

R35

Bossman641

Jan 10, 2007
The Cobra does set up a little bit upright compared to other drivers, I'm not sure of the exact lie angle but I know it is upright. I got mine back in March and am still loving it. I changed out the shaft to a PM702 stiff, tipped 3/4" and it is a cannon.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
You all suck. :D

I have never hit a Cobra before and now I am itching too. Its probably even money now that I will have a Speed LD before the end of the month. Just what ho on the wagon needs, a bunch of good reviews on a driver. :laugh:

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.