• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What a Coincidence!

David Hillman

Apr 15, 2008
So I'm building this hybrid as a gift... I picked up a Sonartec MD left-handed head for $5 off eBay and started shopping for a shaft. Wound up buying a few Penleys from some guy apparently clearing out their inventory.

No rhyme or reason to it, just shopping for good deals on what I think are quality pieces.

I just realized that Penleys were apparently an OEM shaft in many Sonartecs! When I'm done, the club will be almost indistiguishable from an original ( not the new owner will care ). What are the odds? Even the specific model of Penley shaft that I'm using, apparently came in OEM MDs.

Weird.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
So I'm building this hybrid as a gift... I picked up a Sonartec MD left-handed head for $5 off eBay and started shopping for a shaft. Wound up buying a few Penleys from some guy apparently clearing out their inventory.

No rhyme or reason to it, just shopping for good deals on what I think are quality pieces.

I just realized that Penleys were apparently an OEM shaft in many Sonartecs! When I'm done, the club will be almost indistiguishable from an original ( not the new owner will care ). What are the odds? Even the specific model of Penley shaft that I'm using, apparently came in OEM MDs.

Weird.

Never tell me the odds! :D

Pretty sweet man, love it when things work out well.

OP
David Hillman

David Hillman

Apr 15, 2008
It's working out well... except for one serious miscalculation.

I won the head for $3.76 plus shipping, but now I can't find a headcover for anything less than $8 plus shipping. I can't stomach spending twice as much on the HC as I did on the head, so now I don't know what to do ;)

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Sometimes local golf shops have headcovers for sale, for pretty cheap. I know the store I worked at usually got more headcovers than clubs, so we'd get extras.

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
I agree that the bin at the local golf shop could be just the ticket.

Regarding the shaft, Penley shafts were stock for the SS-02/SS-03 fairways but the Md came with a UST iRoD. Fwiw, the stock UST wasn't all that great adn I swapped it out for a lower torqued AccuFLEX Evolution iron shaft.

The Md is an awesome hybrid and, regardless of whether or not the Penley was stock, that is going to be one helluva tool your buddy ends up with.

OP
David Hillman

David Hillman

Apr 15, 2008
I've been kicking myself over this for two months now. Back in early September, the pro shop at a course we play often had a huge bin of FREE headcovers. I guess they were "lost and found". I took a quick look through it, but didn't take any, since I didn't need any at the time.

Regarding the shaft, Penley shafts were stock for the SS-02/SS-03 fairways but the Md came with a UST iRoD. Fwiw, the stock UST wasn't all that great adn I swapped it out for a lower torqued AccuFLEX Evolution iron shaft.

I _think_ maybe the Penley was an upgrade option or something, because I've seen multiple Sonartec hybrids floating around with them. Or maybe just a common swap, I don't know. I almost spent more on an iRoD shaft, before finding the Penley, but I'm glad I didn't.

Thanks.

OP
David Hillman

David Hillman

Apr 15, 2008
I
The Md is an awesome hybrid and, regardless of whether or not the Penley was stock, that is going to be one helluva tool your buddy ends up with.

Just finished it over the weekend. I have two extra shafts just like this... I'm half-looking for a right-handed head to make myself one.

Mua ha ha ha...
sonartecmd.jpg

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.