• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What about grips?

WSC

Jan 15, 2013
Country
United States United States
How are grips sized..as related to the thickness? Standard, oversized?I want to purchase some online but am not familiar with sizes....Thanks

Feb 9, 2013
Country
How are grips sized..as related to the thickness? Standard, oversized?I want to purchase some online but am not familiar with sizes....Thanks

Grips are one of the least discussed aspects of the game where a great deal of progress has been made regarding technology. For example, today you can play a jumbo grip which actually weighs as much or less than a standard one...particularly useful on putters.

I recently upgraded from the Winn AVS midsize to the Winn Jumbo Lite and man, I'm loving it!
Only weighs 60 grams but keeps my big hands still and the clubface square...putting has always been the best part of my game but this has helped me take it to another level entirely. It's big but not crazy big like the Superstroke Fatso models.

That said one must pay careful attention to not only grip size but also weight as this can throw off your clubhead balance and change the feel of any club.

If you're planning to buy online I recommend you feel out the prospective grip(s) at a brick and mortar store first so you know what to expect. Good Luck.

dedicatedhacker

Jan 12, 2013
Altus Oklahoma
Country
I don't have huge hands but the regular size grips would always move in my hands on my iron shots. Upgraded all of my irons to mid size and that changed a huge part of my game. No more worries about the club face moving at impact, and they just feel right to me. I ordered mine online and never tried them out before. I figured I know what I have now doesn't really work so let's try something new.

Feb 9, 2013
Country
I don't have huge hands but the regular size grips would always move in my hands on my iron shots. Upgraded all of my irons to mid size and that changed a huge part of my game. No more worries about the club face moving at impact, and they just feel right to me. I ordered mine online and never tried them out before. I figured I know what I have now doesn't really work so let's try something new.

Yup...grips , like putters, are very personal item.

For example, Arnie has huge hands but always played standard size grips....just felt right...and he did Ok, eh? :)

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
I have midsize wraps on my irons and just got my wedges done with them too. I believe it helps. Can't explain exactly why, but it definately feels better which goes a long way to having confidence at address. Jumbo grip on one of my putters too.

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
I've been wanting to tinker with some jumbo grips on my putter. But I'll do that when I buy a putter worth putting them on.
I put a jumbo pistol grip on an Acuity 2ball and it was a great putter. If you don't know Acuity is a Dick's house brand cheapo. It had a dark finish and milled face and was actually pretty decent, the grip made it real nice. I should've never gotten rid of it, but a guy I worked with at the time was really starting to get into golf and he tried it & loved it so I let him have it for $20. Literally, one time I let a guy I was paired with try it without looking at the bottom. He liked it and told his buddy to try it... he liked it. They looked at the bottom and their faces went sour. Funny as hell. I out putted them all day. That putter was a bit heavy with the larger head and the grip just balanced it out perfect.

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
Point being that a grip may make a putter worth gaming. I was almost ready to dump my Cleveland before I had it regripped.

dedicatedhacker

Jan 12, 2013
Altus Oklahoma
Country
I'll have to consider that then. I have a generic off the shelf xv putter that I'm actually fairly good with. My only wish was that the head was heavier. I figure if I put a bigger grip on it that will offset the weight and feel off

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
I'll have to consider that then. I have a generic off the shelf xv putter that I'm actually fairly good with. My only wish was that the head was heavier. I figure if I put a bigger grip on it that will offset the weight and feel off
You're probably right. If it already feels light then a jumbo grip would make that worse probably. My usual advice applies then. Get your ass to a store and stroke as many of them as you can till you find one you love. The putter has to be your best friend. Don't go in with any brand in mind. Try them all. You'll be able to eliminate 80% or better on looks alone. You'll beat your head on the wall over the last two though.

dedicatedhacker

Jan 12, 2013
Altus Oklahoma
Country
You're probably right. If it already feels light then a jumbo grip would make that worse probably. My usual advice applies then. Get your ass to a store and stroke as many of them as you can till you find one you love. The putter has to be your best friend. Don't go in with any brand in mind. Try them all. You'll be able to eliminate 80% or better on looks alone. You'll beat your head on the wall over the last two though.

Your right in a way on the last part. I've gone into a few different store and I have yet to swing a putter that really feels right to me. There was one once but that was when I first started last summer and didn't care. I didn't think clubs mattered at the time. If only I could remember what that sucker was!

Feb 9, 2013
Country
Point being that a grip may make a putter worth gaming. I was almost ready to dump my Cleveland before I had it regripped.

Yes...the right size grip -especially on a putter, can make all the difference as it will help you to keep the club face square through your stroke....resulting in more jarred putts and better lags.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.