• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What are the Best STEEL IRON SHAFTS!!??

WildCatGolfer17

Aug 16, 2007
lately on shot talk everyone has been going on with graphite shafts for Drivers and woods/hybrids.

But it seems like we have all forgotten the more important clubs in our bags..
duh IRONS!!!

Today I was at the driving range and I met a guy that used to work for FCM Rifle shafts. and He ran their " tour van " for a while and was talking about how great they are. Now I have heard of them, but my impression is that the project X shafts are the best money can buy when it comes to steel shafts.

he was explaining to me that their Spining is the best out there and it is very consistent and that it does not spiral as it goes from the butt to the tip.

SO MY QUESTION IS!
Who makes the best Iron shafts,

These categories primarily and any others that you may feel important.

Price:
Feel:
Consistency:
Range of types:
Quality of materials:

and any thing that I am forgetting.

I would like to really get some good information. Also first hand experience is a big plus guys.

Thanks in advance.

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
doesn't matter who makes them as long as they match and fit your swing :)

for the money, the FST stuff is nice
for feel, the rifle flighted are nice, then again so are dynalites with prosoft inserts (i'm too cheap to try black gold or PX)

OP
WildCatGolfer17

WildCatGolfer17

Aug 16, 2007
Well yes I understand fitting, I would be fit properly, but I am looking for a very consistant flight. I know I dont swing EXACTLY the same every time, but who does? and dont say tiger because he doesnt either.

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
it's going to vary by player - Tmag for example is a pro and is playing tour concepts by TT or something (I'm not in his league ) - others have good luck with Dynalites (MGP for example) - others have been fitted for Rifle's (doc)

other guys seem to be able to play and do well with almost anything - if you look at the shafts Lyle's been through in the past year or two (I know of DGSL's, Rifle's and PX's) - they're all different, but I'd bet they're all pretty damn consistent or he wouldn't have put them into his sticks

if you're looking for a generalization I'll say, if you play the softest flex shafts you can consistently control, they'll feel better and give you more distance

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
The best steel iron shafts?

For me?

That would be Dynalite Gold.

But that's just me.

And that could change were I to try more shafts.

But I tried Dynamic Gold, Rifle, TT Lite, and Nippon NS950, and the Dynalites.

I picked the Dynalite Golds.

Again - that's JUST ME !!!

OP
WildCatGolfer17

WildCatGolfer17

Aug 16, 2007
interresting, Well I am just curious, and am wondering if it might be worth the money... I have DG S-300s. I picked up my friends PX 4 iron and it felt light as plastic. when I hit it I loved the ball flight he had.. It got high quick, then flatened out and just kept going...

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I don't really care for any of the Rifles I've tried out. I like the NS 1050's a lot.

BStone

PGA Class A Professional
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2006
Country
United States United States
I have played just about every steel shaft out there, Flighted Rifles, Project X, Black Gold, Dynamic Gold, but the best I have hit so far are the Tour Concepts from True Temper. They are a bit on the expensive side ($300-$400 per set depending on the finish), but they are a constant weight and variable tip flex. Solid feel and great control.

indacup

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2007
Iowa
My faves are the Nippon, Accra and PX.....but for the price? Get the FST with some vibration dampeners and you're golden.

apuchales

Nov 9, 2009
What you think about the True Temper TX Tour. I already hit the ball high as it is and i'm looking to bring the flight down a bit. I currently use Project X 5.5.

Thanks

buykrux

May 15, 2009
IMO, Dynamic Golds S300 or X100s
x100s feel great and dont play any stiffer than an s300
i have black golds currently they they are sweet feeling too

Nippon, KBS and Project X sent the ball up way way to high to for me
i had px once and i hooked the short irons baddd, and the long irons faded, the 6 iron was the only one that went straight

in terms of price, S300 or X100
if you want to get into a 30-50$/shaft price id say try black golds youll be thrilled if you like the S300s

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.