1. Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What are you using for grips these days?

Discussion in 'Golf Equipment Talk' started by ualtim, Apr 21, 2015.

1. Fairwaysplitter3320

Fairwaysplitter3320 Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again. Staff Member Admin

United States United States
    Admin Post
    Im at a loss then.

2. MattyB

MattyB Not a sheep shagger. Supporting Member

New Zealand New Zealand
    Use a an old glove on the hand that's pulling the grip on. The other hand shouldn't have any solvent on it.
    Pull/push in stages too. Don't want the grip rolling over itself halfway down. Pull it on a bit, then push the lower part down the shaft quickly, then pull some more on, push it down the shaft again etc.
    It did take me a few goes to get used to it, but shouldn't be as hard as you're making it sound lol.

Fairwaysplitter3320 likes this.
  3. limpalong

limpalong Mental Ward Escapee Supporting Member

Wish I were there, Splunge, to help!!! I've regripped probably well into the hundreds of clubs. Never had a problem... other than the old brown Taylor Made shafts with the hugemongous butt diameter!!!

I never get solvent on my hands. I always stick a tee in the hole at the butt end of the grip. Pour in solvent, hold my thumb over the open grip end, and shake it up. I pour the solvent out of the grip onto the tape. Now, take out the tee from the butt end of the grip and slide it over the tape.

We need to set you up on Skype, with all of us watching, so we can all give our own version of instruction.

4. PaPaD

PaPaD Club ho, geezer........ Supporting Member

One tip that always helps, especially with Winn grips......add an extra piece of grip tape over the end of the shaft, forming a cap that only extends down about 1 inch. Add solvent and they slide right on.

5. ualtim

ualtim Carrollton, TX Supporting Member

Ah, the Taylor Made Bubble Shafts. :eek:

Were they not some ungodly diameter like .800 or something like that?

BigJim13 likes this.
  6. limpalong

YEP! Had to use special grips and even those were difficult to get on. I also had a Great Big Bertha Driver, for a short while, with one of the "gripless" shafts in it. Can't remember the name of the shaft manufacturer. The butt diameter was as large as a standard grip. There was something like friction tape where the grip was. The lack of the grip weight supposedly increased the swing speed. I probably only played one or two rounds with it and dumped it.

ualtim likes this.
  7. eclark53520

eclark53520 DB Member Extraordinaire Supporting Member

I'm guessing he's not using enough solvent...don't be stingy with the solvent.

Squirt solvent into the grip and swish it around, pour the excess solvent out of the grip over the grip tape. Doing this, I can slide the grip on, adjust it, and slide it back off again if need be. No issues with the grip getting stuck.

Fairwaysplitter3320 and BigJim13 like this.
  8. Fairwaysplitter3320

Fairwaysplitter3320 Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again. Staff Member Admin

Admin Post
    ^^^THIS

BigJim13 likes this.
  9. ualtim

Golfworks is having a grip sale, buy 6 get 6 free on select grips. Nothing that I was interested in, but looks to be a great deal if you like one of the grips in the sale.

10. BigJim13

BigJim13 Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

I just sent back the Niion grips I ordered, did not like them at all. I am curious to try the Lincoln UTX grips though

11. ualtim

Thought about them, but the only way to get ribbed version is through Lamkin Tour Van on their website. Just ordered a bunch of the Ping ID8 which should be arriving this evening, so I am good on grips for a while...I hope.

BigJim13 likes this.
  12. MGP

MGP Clubmaking Ho Supporting Member

Up until about 3 years ago I used GP Tour Velvets and ribbed Tour Velvets almost exclusively.

Youngun5 tried some Karma Black Velvet Grip - Hireko Custom Golf Clubs and Components grips on some of his clubs, I tried them and liked them. Since then it's all I use when I build new clubs or re-grip my older ones. They came out with a ribbed version Karma Black Velvet Ribbed Grip - Hireko Custom Golf Clubs and Components a couple years ago -- which was awesome since I play ribbed grips on my irons and hybrids. I like the Karma's rubber compound better than the GP Tour Velvets as they seem to stay softer much longer and never get hard or slick. As a bonus they are dirt cheap so ripping one off and replacing it is a no brainer.

I grip and re-grip a ton of clubs. In the past 10 years I've probably gripped 250+ clubs. I'm also a cheap club ho and love building my own clubs. I have a pretty decent set of clubmaking tools and supplies now which helps a lot. One of the best investments I ever made was THE GOLFWORKS GRIPPING STATION . By far it gets the most work of any of my tools. It makes getting an old grip off and a new grip on incredibly easy. It also allows me to capture and re-use the solvent when I put on a grip. The catch tray of the gripping station has a drain tube which I run into a bottle to catch all the runoff. Then I filter it with a coffee filter and re-use it. So far I have gripped close to 100 clubs with a quart of solvent and probably still have 80% of the solvent.

A few other things I've found works well for me when gripping clubs:

1. Solvent -- I've tried all kinds of solvent from Bramptons to Golfworks to about every other kind I could find. This one works the best for me Clubmaker Grip Solvent 1 Quart FE at Golfsmith.com It's citrus based, non-toxic and even smells good. Also works really well for cleaning up epoxy when shafting clubs.

2. Grip tape -- tried just about all of them. THE GOLFWORKS GRIP TAPE works the best for me. It's a little wider and a bit slicker when you pour solvent on it than the other tapes I've tried. I use 2" tape lengthwise down the shaft as I'm a "single wrap" guy. Hireko's tape isn't bad but it's slightly narrower and barely covers a .600" shaft butt with a single wrap.

3. When applying grip tape go about 1/2" past the butt end of the shaft. Fold over the tape into the butt of the club so none of the shaft butt edge is exposed. When you pour solvent on the shaft make sure the tape on the butt end gets well soaked too. This makes the butt end edges of the club slippery and even a really tight fitting grip with not much stretch (like a Winn grip) will slip right on.

4. I keep my grip solvent in a pint sized squeeze bottle. I grab a grip and hold my left thumb over the end hole with my left hand holding the open end of the grip upright. I squeeze solvent into the open end of the grip until the grip is almost full. Then I put my right forefinger over the open hole and shake for a few seconds. This makes sure all of the inside of the grip is soaked with solvent. While still holding my right finger over the grip opening, tip over the grip to the grip tape, release the left thumb and slowly pour the solvent from the grip over the tape, making sure all of the tape is well soaked. I usually can run the grip along the top edge of the tape from back edge to front edge of the tape two times while the solvents dribbles over all the tape. Slide the grip on the shaft. If you did it right the grip will easily slide on and you will even have some time to fine tune the grip alignment. If you are recapturing your solvent you almost can't use too much. The inside volume of a grip makes a nice measuring device.

13. BigJim13

BigJim13 Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

Does the Karma grip leave any color on your hands? That's about the only bad thing I've heard about them.

One of the best tools I ever bought or received was an air compressor. Blow on or off the grip in seconds and no more need for solvent!

14. eclark53520

eclark53520 DB Member Extraordinaire Supporting Member

You almost fill the grip? Holy cap you mist go through a ton of solvent. I usually put maybe an inch in the bottom and don't have a problem.

15. azgreg

azgreg "Don't count that." Supporting Member

Holy crap! A MGP sighting!

16. MGP

I haven't had any issues with color on my hands. Maybe a tiny bit on my glove but not any more than any other grip I've tried. Then again, I've only used their black grips except for pink Karma grips I did for a friend's daughter. Not sure about their other colored grips.

I tried the air compressor thing and didn't like it. Had real trouble with Winn Putter grips and cord grips that wouldn't stretch much. Since most of the grips I remove are toast I just cut them off with a hooked utility knife blade. I do have a compressor and once in a while I'll use it if someone wants me to save their grip when I remove it.

BigJim13 likes this.
  17. MGP

Nope, I re-use almost all the solvent. I haven't come close to using the quart of solvent I bought two seasons ago yet and done 4 or 5 sets of clubs since then plus several putters and drivers.

I've watched other people struggle with too little solvent and the grip stick halfway on -- that's no fun. Since I started using a lot of solvent I haven't had any grips even come close to sticking. Probably overkill but since I reclaim all the runoff solvent it's really not an issue.

The key is probably just making sure the inside of the grip is well wetted and the tape too.

18. MGP

Hey Az... yeah, been lurking but decided to come out of hiding :D

I got more than a few laughs from your posts this winter when the weather sucked and work was piled up higher than the snow.

19. azgreg

azgreg "Don't count that." Supporting Member

I do what I can buddy.

20. limpalong

Good to see you here, again!!! Do you ever see YoungGun??

MCDavis likes this.