• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What did you buy today?

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
United States United States
I need more time or an exemption. I need wedges but haven't found a deal that I am happy with yet.

I'm in, but I will be buying wedges before the start of the season. I have been waiting for RBG to have another decent sale on Scratch wedges.
Jim if I buy the wedges you like and give them to you, it doesnt count because you did not buy them right? So two Shottalkers cooperating could buy clubs the other likes and swap.

OP
azgreg

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
I need more time or an exemption. I need wedges but haven't found a deal that I am happy with yet.

I'm in, but I will be buying wedges before the start of the season. I have been waiting for RBG to have another decent sale on Scratch wedges.
Jim, I was looking at those scratch wedges as well, but the 8620's aren't USGA compliant (as far as I can tell) and I'm planning to play in some local tournaments this year.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Jim, I was looking at those scratch wedges as well, but the 8620's aren't USGA compliant (as far as I can tell) and I'm planning to play in some local tournaments this year.
I've been kicking around those or another Set of Cally X Forged's. I have heard mixed reviews of the Scratch wedges though. Some on another forum were saying those were USGA legal? I'm not willing to spend $70 per wedge though + shipping, legal or not. I can build a set for 1/3 that from Golfworks and have the shafts I want and be legal.

Last edited:

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Jim if I buy the wedges you like and give them to you, it doesnt count because you did not buy them right? So two Shottalkers cooperating could buy clubs the other likes and swap.
Sure, feel free to buy me whatever you want Tricky! :D

OP
azgreg

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
I've been kicking around those or another Set of Cally X Forged's. I have heard mixed reviews of the Scratch wedges though. Some on another forum were saying those were USGA legal? I'm not willing to spend $70 per wedge though + shipping, legal or not. I can build a set for 1/3 that from Golfworks and have the shafts I want and be legal.

I could game these.

0000051_maltby-tour-grind-mg-wedge_300.jpeg

They come in 52-8, 56-11, and 6-70°. If you bent the 52 to 54 it would give you 10° of bounce. Would that be enough?

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I could game these.

0000051_maltby-tour-grind-mg-wedge_300.jpeg

They come in 52-8, 56-11, and 6-70°. If you bent the 52 to 54 it would give you 10° of bounce. Would that be enough?
I could handle those too! 54/10 is right around what I am looking for.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Hmmm..not sure why that posted so big, its almost actual size on my computer!

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Unless you're an elite amateur, you could game them to 2024 under the exemption rule.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Unless you're an elite amateur, you could game them to 2024 under the exemption rule.
I was thinking that was the case. Old grooves are still legal with the exception of big time USGA tourneys (US Open, US open qualifiers etc). At least that is how I understood the rule.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
I've been kicking around these too...

stk_xx_large.jpg
Loving Pings the way I do... Enjoying playing my Eye 2+ wedges for many years... I, too, looked long and hard at the Tour S wedges. The reviews say they have hardly any spin compared to other wedges available today. The main reason I was looking was due to the lack of spin from a set of wedges with hundreds of rounds on them. The main reason I passed on the Tour S wedges is the sole design. My Eye 2+ wedges have a sole grind that allows me to do lots of things with those clubs. So many wedges today... including the ones I have one the way... have grinds that allow manipulation of the clubhead. The soles of the Tour S wedges appear to be fairly static across the bounce.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Loving Pings the way I do... Enjoying playing my Eye 2+ wedges for many years... I, too, looked long and hard at the Tour S wedges. The reviews say they have hardly any spin compared to other wedges available today. The main reason I was looking was due to the lack of spin from a set of wedges with hundreds of rounds on them. The main reason I passed on the Tour S wedges is the sole design. My Eye 2+ wedges have a sole grind that allows me to do lots of things with those clubs. So many wedges today... including the ones I have one the way... have grinds that allow manipulation of the clubhead. The soles of the Tour S wedges appear to be fairly static across the bounce.
Your concerns are the exact as mine and the reason I haven't looked super hard for a set. Being in the sticks, I have limited options for demoing so I am limited to what I know or what reviews say.

🔥 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online