• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

what did you shoot today?

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
United States United States
47/42 today. Worst front nine ever at this course I think. Gold tees, same guy, same clubs, different day. Swing was off plane and timing was off the planet. Hitting weak fades. The reason this course is a 135 slope from the Gold tees is the ROUGH IS A BITCH. They have it cut down but it is a thick fescue that grabs the hosel like it's been hooked to crane and cable. Anyway - old lesson - you wanna play better? Hit the fairway with your tee shot. Taking 2 days off. I have 3 sets of irons to build, 2 hybrids, and 2 fairways for subsonic. Try again Friday.

Last edited:

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
47/42 today. Worst front nine ever at this course I think.

... this course is a 135 slope from the Gold tees is the ROUGH IS A BITCH. They have it cut down but it is a thick fescue that grabs the hosel like it's been hooked to crane and cable.

I'm seeing a full set of hybrids in your future. [emoji1]

PaPaD

Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Country
I'm seeing a full set of hybrids in your future. [emoji1]

Truth be known, I don't hit many full iron shots longer than a 7i. I could probably play this game with a muscle back blade from 7i down. Playing from the Gold Tees at my home course, I use driver on all holes expect the 2 short par 4s (they have very narrow fairways and lost- ball trouble on one side). Both of those are 4h off the tee and 7i or 8i in to the green. On the rest of the par 4s it's driver and one of the hybrids into the green, I miss a lot from that distance, so I use the 6i on down to the wedges to chip, bump or pitch. I rarely hit a full 6i shot except the 1st and 2nd par 3 on the front. The par 5s are usually Driver, 5W and then short iron in. It's geezer golf. My good scores come from days where I hit most of the fairways and get lots of up and down pars. So basically, I play most of my full shot golf with woods and hybrids already. For that reason, old tech irons work well for me and I love the offset and the sole design of the old PINGs. My woods and hybrids are all modern era.

Last edited:

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Truth be known, I don't hit many full iron shots longer than a 7i. I could probably play this game with a muscle back blade from 7i down. Playing from the Gold Tees at my home course, I use driver on all holes expect the 2 short par 4s (they have very narrow fairways and lost- ball trouble on one side). Both of those are 4h off the tee and 7i or 8i in to the green. On the rest of the par 4s it's driver and one of the hybrids into the green, I miss a lot from that distance, so I use the 6i on down to the wedges to chip, bump or pitch. I rarely hit a full 6i shot except the 1st and 2nd par 3 on the front. The par 5s are usually Driver, 5W and then short iron in. It's geezer golf. My good scores come from days where I hit most of the fairways and get lots of up and down pars. So basically, I play most of my full shot golf with woods and hybrids already. For that reason, old tech irons work well for me and I love the offset and the sole design of the old PINGs. My woods and hybrids are all modern era.
Similar here. Driver and 5-wood needed to reach long par 4's and have a chance for a short iron into par 5's. 20 and 23 degree G20 hybrids are solid at less distance. Then, I have a gap to work around. The G20 irons just don't perform distance or accuracy wise. They work, just not well enough to score. I really have been deadly with the 7 through GW of my AP2's. Love that gap wedge!!! The set has long irons... 4, 5, and 6... in AP1's. The 1's are cast and are supposed to be easier to hit. I really struggle with them. I'd rather come up short with the 7 iron and feel confident with a wedge than shank/skull/hit fat one of the AP1 long irons.
I've actually considered picking up a set of the Tour Edge hybrid/irons. They are hybrid like clear through to the wedges. Bag the longer ones down to where I can use the AP2 short irons for scoring.

PaPaD

Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Country
Similar here. Driver and 5-wood needed to reach long par 4's and have a chance for a short iron into par 5's. 20 and 23 degree G20 hybrids are solid at less distance. Then, I have a gap to work around. The G20 irons just don't perform distance or accuracy wise. They work, just not well enough to score. I really have been deadly with the 7 through GW of my AP2's. Love that gap wedge!!! The set has long irons... 4, 5, and 6... in AP1's. The 1's are cast and are supposed to be easier to hit. I really struggle with them. I'd rather come up short with the 7 iron and feel confident with a wedge than shank/skull/hit fat one of the AP1 long irons.
I've actually considered picking up a set of the Tour Edge hybrid/irons. They are hybrid like clear through to the wedges. Bag the longer ones down to where I can use the AP2 short irons for scoring.

It is Geezer Golf!

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
It was a holiday over here on Monday and Tuesday. My parents have been staying with us for a few days. I played with my older brother (50) and my Dad (82). We only played 8 holes, my dad is struggling these days with age and dementia. But he hit some great shots and we had a blast. Here's the three of us, Geezers United!

upload_2016-7-13_14-50-27.png

In fact I had three games over the weekend with the brother. He plays off a very handy 12 h/c and he's a bomber, his three wood is easily 20 yards past my best driver. He beat me on the first match, but I went off and had a long talk with myself in the mirror and came back out and won the series 2-1. We only play for £1 but it's a lot more serious than that.

Last edited:

PaPaD

Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Country
It was a holiday over here on Monday and Tuesday. My parents have been staying with us for a few days. I played with my older brother (50) and my Dad (82). We only played 8 holes, my dad is struggling these days with age and dementia. But he hit some great shots and we had a blast. Here's the three of us, Geezers United!

View attachment 28222

In fact I had three games over the weekend with the brother. He plays off a very handy 12 h/c and he's a bomber, his three wood is easily 20 yards past my best driver. He beat me on the first match, but I went off and had a long talk with myself in the mirror and came back out and won the series 2-1. We only play for £1 but it's a lot more serious than that.
Family golf is the BEST! Cherish these days. ;)

P.S. where did you get that "GNIP" golf hat? Or is it a left handed hat?

🔥 Latest posts

Members online