• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

what did you shoot today?

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
United States United States
Really disappointed, Sunday, as we played. Beautiful morning!! Upper 60's temperatures and mid-80's predicted as highs for the day. Just about as perfect a day for golf as one could imagine.

We played as a three. Had one two in a cart behind us, but those were the only folks we saw while playing the front. As we made the turn, probably saw no more than 6 total cars in the parking lot. Pro shop said they had something like 7 tee times reserved for the entire day.

I understand some folks put the clubs in the closet after Labor Day. I understand some folks prefer the recliner with NFL football over a round of golf. I understand some may be hung over on Sunday from Saturday NCAA football events. Yet, it is a testament to how this great Game's interest is diminishing when nice courses go begging for players on beautiful fall days.

Participation on Shot Talk has diminished. PaPaD says FGI, another golf discussion board is shutting down. I've noticed the posts on a couple of other golf boards are lagging. If we depended on 100% golf posts on Shot Talk we would have faded out some time ago. Hopefully, the posts that result in calling each other "di**s" and "a**es", etc. continue because that's what keeps ups coming back... evidently not the golf.

The "digital age" has allowed a generation to evolve where no one talks or communicates anymore. Geo-caching, chasing Pokémon, and spending time on a treadmill where you can remain glued to your digital device have far overtaken actual participating in person-to-person activities. People are getting married, today, who have probably not ever held a verbal conversation. They have met on-line and communicated only by digital device. My cart partner has encountered my wrath when he can't leave his cell in the car and has to check it each time there is a text or e-mail during a round. It's not that the texts are emergency issues. Most of the time it is either one of his kids texting that a grandkid burped, farted, or filled his/her pants. Yet, if he doesn't respond to each of these immediately, his wife and daughters will begin calling assuming he is near death's door.

We may well be some of the last who have played and supported this great Game. The generation of "couch potatoes" won't be the retired and aged. It will be the young, obese, and lazy!!!!!
Nice rant!!!

1348.gif

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Nice rant!!!

1348.gif
Just disappointed in the lack of posts we're seeing... and hoping Shot Talk survives. We probably need a "safety valve" hidden somewhere with personal contact information of a few of us "regulars". This has become sorta like family and would hate to lose contact with most... Well, except **** and ***** and ....... :>) If I do ever retire, my entire world will be 1.) playing golf 2.) posting on Shot Talk, and 3.) Ummm... is there anything else left??:D

Fairwaysplitter3320

Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
Just disappointed in the lack of posts we're seeing... and hoping Shot Talk survives. We probably need a "safety valve" hidden somewhere with personal contact information of a few of us "regulars". This has become sorta like family and would hate to lose contact with most... Well, except **** and ***** and ....... :>) If I do ever retire, my entire world will be 1.) playing golf 2.) posting on Shot Talk, and 3.) Ummm... is there anything else left??:D
I hear ya, this nuthouse has become like family. This was my first forum and I enjoy the banter. My buddy I play golf with is not a "equipment" guy, just plays what he has. Doesn't like to really talk about the golf swing, different shots, etc. I get my fix here and it is nice.

Last edited:

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Our course has had a good year. Always lot's of cars in the parking lot. I suppose it helps to be in "vacation land" where all the Chicago people come to stay in cottages and play in the lakes. In winter they come to ski, snowmobile and get away from the city. If you ever get a chance this truly is "God's Country". I've been all over this country and there is no other better place to call home. Today we had sandhill cranes, wild turkeys and a deer walking in one of the fairways. And a bald eagle was flying over us.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
I hear ya, this nuthouse has become like family. This was my first forum and I enjoy the banter. My buddy I play golf with is not a "equipment" guy, just plays what he has. Doesn't like to really talk about the golf swing, different shots, etc. I get my fix here and it is nice.
My cart partner has had a set of Snake Eyes component irons forever. 5, 7, 9, PW. I kept telling him the gaps between clubs were too great and he would be better off with a complete set. It's not that he couldn't afford a good set of irons. Drawing two retirement benefits, plus social security. A few weeks ago, he was involved in a "rummage sale" at his church. Picked up a complete set of X-12 Callaway irons w/graphite shafts for $20. They did need regripped as the original 20 year old grips were hard as rocks. So... he got the 5, 7, 9, and PW regripped and that is all he put in his bag. Sheesh!!!!

Fairwaysplitter3320

Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
You mean he is sane/sensible/normal?
No! Ho'ing is normal :D
My cart partner has had a set of Snake Eyes component irons forever. 5, 7, 9, PW. I kept telling him the gaps between clubs were too great and he would be better off with a complete set. It's not that he couldn't afford a good set of irons. Drawing two retirement benefits, plus social security. A few weeks ago, he was involved in a "rummage sale" at his church. Picked up a complete set of X-12 Callaway irons w/graphite shafts for $20. They did need regripped as the original 20 year old grips were hard as rocks. So... he got the 5, 7, 9, and PW regripped and that is all he put in his bag. Sheesh!!!!
Remember when PapaD was a minimalist golfer???

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
It's can work if you have the skills to choke down and manipulate distance with irons. When I was able to walk and carry, I used to play with about 7 clubs and score just as well. I still do occasionally.....well I don't walk on this bum knee but I still play a short set now and then. It's good practice.

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
You should be able to begin walking again... since you lost all that weight by peeing out the rocks!!! :) How is the "stone man"???
I'll tell you what Limp, if I had known I was going to be this sick after lithotripsy, I would have requested kidney removal. I know I'm probably whining, but since last Tuesday I have probably eaten only a few thousand calories- I have ZERO appetite - down 10 pounds. It has been a week of aches, nausea, fever, chills, sweats, diarrhea, PLUS the fukking pain from passing the stone fragments. I am feeling better today and am travelling to Pensacola tomorrow for a mediation, so I really hope this is behind me. Getting an X-ray today to see what's left in there of the 12mm monster. I still have a 5mm stone that needs blasting, so round two is coming.........

Thanks for asking - whining makes me feel better. :)

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.