• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

what did you shoot today?

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Played in a two man scramble at my home club. Was partnered with a poor old geezer (no offense). 86 for a net 72. My playing partner mentioned that he'd had major facial surgery for throat cancer last year and was coming back from that.

He was just enjoying a day out. Then whilst chatting on the 18th fairway he admitted the surgery hadn't got all of the cancer so it was just a matter of time.

It was a good reminder of enjoying each day. He was taking every opportunity.
Guess I wouldn't necessarily define your playing partner as "poor". Rather than sitting at home and feeling sorry for his physical condition, he was out on a golf course enjoying his last days. We have good friends who are, literally, hypochondriacs. If one catches a cold, they have to go see an allergist, an internal medicine doctor, and their general practitioner. A common cold "just has to be" lung cancer, uncurable allergies, or some strange exotic disease that hasn't been seen in the States before. The next mosquito bite will infect them with deadly toxins. During the summer months, they don't want to leave their home without mask filters, long sleeves, etc.
OTOH, we recently had a 97 year old long-time member of our golf club pass. He played golf every day he could make it to the course. Some days it was only a few holes. Other days, he'd play a full 18. One morning, he played nine holes. Went home. Sat down to take a nap in his favorite chair. And, didn't wake up.
For a person who is suffering from what he knows as the disease that will end his life and he is playing golf??!! Personally, that is the way I hope I have the emotional strength to do when they announce my time is short.

Sheesh! Didn't mean that to end up as what seems a rant. Glad you had an enjoyable round with an "old geezer". Sometimes we can be fun to play golf with. Sometimes we will kick you young flat-bellies butts!!!!:D:D

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Guess I wouldn't necessarily define your playing partner as "poor". Rather than sitting at home and feeling sorry for his physical condition, he was out on a golf course enjoying his last days.

I agree Limp. He was out in the sunshine playing golf and enjoying himself. He is 'lucky' in that although he knows his cancer is terminal, he has some time on his hands to go play golf. Most people, once they get the cancer diagnosis, are too sick to do anything enjoyable. I only meant 'poor' because I felt sorry for someone who has a terminal diagnosis. Damned cancer.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Damned cancer.
Yep! At our age, we know it's only a matter of time when we will either hear the "C" word... or won't due to a heart attack. So many, once diagnosed, give up. You hear the stories of those who don't and say they won't let cancer take away their enjoyment of life... for whatever time is left. My Mother fought it for years. She remained active and productive right up until the last few months. Many would never have known she was terminal. Those, like the gentleman you had the opportunity to meet, are the ones I hope to have the determination to mirror if and when the day comes I hear that "C" word.

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
37/43 with 11/16 putts. Overall 80 and 27.

We had extreme wind today.

Saddle Creek plays like two different courses between the front and back. Front has trees and semi-protection from the wind. Back is wide open and the scoring showed. 30 mph plus.

Crosswinds, head winds and tail winds. We had it all. Crosswinds were the worst as the ball would and could be pushed 15-50 feet offline.

Overall it was super fun getting created with shots and I had a blast!

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Unseasonably cold with north wind this morning. Stocking hats, gloves, doors on cart cover. It's May 1!!! Mother Nature, stick it!!!
41/37=78. Much better than I ever imagined in the wind/cold. Struck the ball well. Made some putts. #18 is a long par 5. I hit an excellent drive and fairway wood. Was still about 135 out. Took one extra club. Hit it so sweet I barely felt it leave the clubface. Was still about 7 yards short due to the wind!! Chipped to 18" and made par. I love living where we cannot seem to have a day without wind!!!:(

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
Unseasonably cold with north wind this morning. Stocking hats, gloves, doors on cart cover. It's May 1!!! Mother Nature, stick it!!!
41/37=78. Much better than I ever imagined in the wind/cold. Struck the ball well. Made some putts. #18 is a long par 5. I hit an excellent drive and fairway wood. Was still about 135 out. Took one extra club. Hit it so sweet I barely felt it leave the clubface. Was still about 7 yards short due to the wind!! Chipped to 18" and made par. I love living where we cannot seem to have a day without wind!!!:(
Wind can suck it. That is all.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.