1. Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

what did you shoot today?

Discussion in 'General Golf Talk' started by jhmeg2, May 15, 2013.

1. IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer Fac ut gaudeam Supporting Member

Ha! Sadly no. My last effort came up short, again. So we had to go and buy, not one, but two birds. We had 18 people over to our house (wife's growing family) at Christmas. We bought crowns rather than whole birds. we also had ham as well, delicious. I did face a few questions about bringing food to the table through my (lack of) golfing skills, but it was all good fun.

Next year, I'm due two!!

2. PaPaD

PaPaD Club ho, geezer........ Supporting Member

United States United States
    87. I still suck.

3. PaPaD

0730 tee time with SWMBO. Nice casual round. Shot 76. WTF!!??? Is my slump over or am I just a mental case that can't play when $3 is on the line? This game is nuts.

4. limpalong

limpalong Mental Ward Escapee Supporting Member

Another fun round. $1.00 won!! The putter has been magic. Why it decided to suddenly begin making putts is a mystery. Oh, 40/38.

Fairwaysplitter3320 likes this.
  5. IrishGolfer

Our weather has been so benign over the past few weeks, there was very little breeze on Saturday. We are playing 14 holes over the Winter. I shot +3, for 29pts (which is one better than par) and came in 28th spot!

I'm hitting the ball well and putting OK, but left 3-4 out there. At best I could have shot 33 points, which would have got me 6th!! :(

What's a guy gotta do!???

6. Fairwaysplitter3320

Fairwaysplitter3320 Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again. Staff Member Admin

Admin Post
    Played a scramble with my dad, 15 year old and 12 year old yesterday. Beautiful day, sunny and 62. Unfortunately we’ve had a metric sh!t ton of rain the last week and the course was saturated!

Still managed a 36/33 for a 3 under 69 but it felt a lot better/worse than that with this conditions.

Better because the ball was getting zero rollout anywhere on the course. Worse because the course was so wet we seemed to be scrambling on every hole.

Overall a great day out with the fam!

MCDavis and IrishGolfer like this.
  7. warbirdlover

warbirdlover Ender of all threads Supporting Member

Still cold with snow on the ground up here in the tundra. :(

8. MCDavis

MCDavis The Plaid Duffer Staff Member Moderator

January in our neck of the woods, this is all that matters. Sounds like a great day!

9. limpalong

Early January in Kansas. Should be cold... and possible snow covered. 52 degrees at 8 a.m. this morning. 64 as I type this! Unbelievable! Should never whine about a bad golf round when we're playing in this nice weather in January. Still.... 87 today!!! Pathetic! Couldn't get off the tee. Couldn't hit irons. Couldn't putt. That pretty well sums it up. Gave back $1.00 of my last week's winnings.

10. Fairwaysplitter3320

Fairwaysplitter3320 Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again. Staff Member Admin

Admin Post
    Truth!

MCDavis likes this.
  11. PaPaD

79 today - slump could be over...........................or not. Either way, it was LOT more fun.

12. limpalong

80 today. Won back the $1.00 lost yesterday. Life is good.

13. PaPaD

83 today with 5 lip outs. DAMMIT! Had a good 4-man team effort and thought we'd finish in the money until we found out that a 15 handicapper on another team carded a gross 73. Are u sh$tting me?

14. Fairwaysplitter3320

Admin Post
    Smells of sandbagging or creative penciling.

PaPaD likes this.
  15. PaPaD

It's rampant Limp. Somebody does it every week. Drives me nuts. That course is rated at 66.7 (par 71) from the white tees. This guy is in the system at a 15 and he grosses a 73. He didn't come in for lunch today either.

16. Fairwaysplitter3320

Admin Post
    Lame.

17. IrishGolfer

So this happens on a regular basis and in my experience, it is one of the following:

A young guy, generally sporty, who has taken to the game and is improving. He starts with a ~18 index, gets lessons, spends a lot of time on the range and then starts winning. He may win 3-4 times in one season and his h/c gets chopped. He levels out at about 10, but has the ability to shoot a very low round. Generally is a good putter but a bit wild off the tee.

A good player, similar to the above, but never plays in tournaments because of work/family, but he is regularly shooting low scores in friendly games. We don't have a system here to allow for that. Handicaps are only adjusted in competitive play. The occasional time he plays in a competition, he shoots lights out. He generally scoops up at work days or charity events where his handicap is not adjusted.

An older guy who used to play off a very low index, but who has taken time away from the game because of work, family etc. He comes back several years later and seems happy to take a 15 h/c, justifying it by saying he has hardly played. Within a few months, his game comes back and the competitive juices flow. He can shoot low and has a lot of experience in the tank to hold a score.

These guys I can sort of live with, but there are guys who play the system. They are sandbaggers, of the worst type. We have a few of them at our club. They never play in the regular tournaments, or if they do, their purpose is to bring their h/c back up. Then they wait for the big days, where there are good prizes / $$$ and thye throw in a 72, to mop up. These guys get a bad name, but they have thick skin and it doesn't seem to bother them.

18. limpalong

Have seen sandbagging at most courses I've ever belonged to and in many tournaments I've played in. Sandbagging is one of the reasons I don't play in many... if any... tournaments. Golf is supposed to be a game of honesty and integrity.
    Summer before last, I played in a round-robin tournament series with some other courses in the area. Wow! Two of those tournaments saw us paired with folks of similar handicaps that carded scores 10 or more strokes better. The last one I played in we were paired with a couple of 30 year old guys, both with low double-digit caps. They cleaned our clock in match play. Playing best ball, by hole 12 one of them had carded a birdie on EVERY hole... except the one par 5 they eagled. Neither had ever played our course or even seen our course. They guys were scratch or better.
    Even at our home course, we have an entire group who will only "remember" or enter into our handicap computer the worst of their rounds. We who enter each and every round are at an extreme disadvantage.
    We won't solve the issue of those who feel winning at a game is more important than blights on their own character. I sleep well at night. My wish is that they don't.

19. PaPaD

The guy that runs our quota game every week uses the last 3 rounds' average for each player and then assigns their quota each week. THAT is the only honest game I'm in. Since we use club handicaps (which are player maintained) I'm going to suggest that the guy that runs our stroke play games use a running 3 or 5 week average score and then assign handicaps for each new game using that average.

20. limpalong

79 today and another $1.00 in winnings!