• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

what did you shoot today?

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
... and you say you can't drive as long as the "young flat bellies?" You sir are a sandbagger! :p
Can't hit it outta my shadow. Old. Bad back. Bad knees. Wanna tee it up for a couple bucks??:D

Course management. #10 is a hard dogleg left. If you hit it too far or pull it left too soon, it will cost you. Hit 3-wood off tee to center of fairway past turn. Another good 3-wood got me to 80 out. Iron to about 10 feet and made the putt. #18 long and straight before slight dogleg right. Heavy trees both sides. Good drive, probably best of the day. Used to hit fairway wood for second shot. Nine times out of ten would hit it too far through the dogleg and be under trees on the left. Just started hitting hybrid for second shot and playing for position. 8 iron to 15 feet and would have been happy with par. Read green that it would turn just a tad right. Thought I'd hit it too well and it would stay out to the left. Just before the hole, the ball dropped a little right and curved into the cup. One of those that makes you want to come back.

Was about ready to donate my Callaway hybrids to the son-in-law. Just struggled with them from Day 1. Three or four weeks ago, finally figured out the animals. Now, I don't know what I'd do without them. Becoming a couple of the favorite clubs in the bag. May drop my 5-wood and fill in something else on the bottom end of the bag.

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
Can't hit it outta my shadow. Old. Bad back. Bad knees. Wanna tee it up for a couple bucks??:D

Course management. #10 is a hard dogleg left. If you hit it too far or pull it left too soon, it will cost you. Hit 3-wood off tee to center of fairway past turn. Another good 3-wood got me to 80 out. Iron to about 10 feet and made the putt. #18 long and straight before slight dogleg right. Heavy trees both sides. Good drive, probably best of the day. Used to hit fairway wood for second shot. Nine times out of ten would hit it too far through the dogleg and be under trees on the left. Just started hitting hybrid for second shot and playing for position. 8 iron to 15 feet and would have been happy with par. Read green that it would turn just a tad right. Thought I'd hit it too well and it would stay out to the left. Just before the hole, the ball dropped a little right and curved into the cup. One of those that makes you want to come back.

Was about ready to donate my Callaway hybrids to the son-in-law. Just struggled with them from Day 1. Three or four weeks ago, finally figured out the animals. Now, I don't know what I'd do without them. Becoming a couple of the favorite clubs in the bag. May drop my 5-wood and fill in something else on the bottom end of the bag.
I am almost the shortest driver in my playing groups. I average 190 to 200 yards. Our courses here are very soft so rollout is minimal. I am also one of the lower handicappers in my group. Golf is not a distance contest. That's the WLD Championships. Hit the fairways, get it near the greens, and be a bad-ass with your wedges and putter. :D

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
I am almost the shortest driver in my playing groups. I average 190 to 200 yards. Our courses here are very soft so rollout is minimal. I am also one of the lower handicappers in my group. Golf is not a distance contest. That's the WLD Championships. Hit the fairways, get it near the greens, and be a bad-ass with your wedges and putter. :D
Our "geezer group" has adopted the saying, "Worst drive. Best score." Amazing how often the one with the shortest drive or a drive that strays off into where elephants go to die ends up carding the best score on a hole. We all have learned the Pennick adage "Don't let one bad shot turn into two or three." Short drives really upset the young flat-bellies I play with on weekends. I'm hitting hybrids or long irons when they are using wedges. Yet, who comes out with the lower score?

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
Our "geezer group" has adopted the saying, "Worst drive. Best score." Amazing how often the one with the shortest drive or a drive that strays off into where elephants go to die ends up carding the best score on a hole. We all have learned the Pennick adage "Don't let one bad shot turn into two or three." Short drives really upset the young flat-bellies I play with on weekends. I'm hitting hybrids or long irons when they are using wedges. Yet, who comes out with the lower score?
It's fun to hear them say "damn old guys". :cool:

one_chip_short

Misplaced Texan
Supporting Member
Feb 15, 2017
Glendale, Az
Country
It's interesting, my game goes in waves, was playing very well, thinking I had turn the corner on breaking 90 ... I play well I am not sure why. I strike the ball well ... the other side of the coin is I can also put high 90 round and I am not sure why, I can't strike the ball worth a damn ... very frustrating sometimes.

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
Awesome! Looks like you had a really great weekend with family and friends.
I certainly did!!!

Here's the boy, he goes for broke every single time!

ImageUploadedByShot Talk1499652173.112516.jpg

ImageUploadedByShot Talk1499652186.865319.jpg

ImageUploadedByShot Talk1499652200.114295.jpg

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
It's interesting, my game goes in waves, was playing very well, thinking I had turn the corner on breaking 90 ... I play well I am not sure why. I strike the ball well ... the other side of the coin is I can also put high 90 round and I am not sure why, I can't strike the ball worth a damn ... very frustrating sometimes.
Golf IS a frustrating game. Golf IS a GREAT game. Balancing that can be a challenge. When the putter works, the driver fails. When the driver works the irons fail. When the irons work, you lose all feeling chipping. If any one of us could see every segment of our game work each and every day, we wouldn't be posting with these nimrods. We'd be playing at the professional level!!!
ALWAYS try to better your game. Don't get too upset when the stars don't align on any given day. Our "geezer" group is awesome that way. We have about 10 who can show up. The average scores for those 10 run from upper 70's to mid to upper 90's. Yet, we all are so glad to be playing golf at our age, enjoying the smell of fresh cut grass, the joking and laughing of our playing partners, and the chance that a putt will fall for a birdie or a par.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
You guys are just glad to be vertical.
That we are!!! One of our group just turned 77. He attended a funeral of a brother-in-law last week. Said he could not believe how old many younger than him looked. "They sure ain't out playin' golf!" I'm grateful every day I wake up and head out to the course.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
41/39=80 this morning. One of the most frustrating days in a long time. Had to do with playing partners. Yet, we were out on a golf course smelling the fresh cut grass. I'll take that any day and not complain... loudly!!!

🔥 Latest posts