• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

what did you shoot today?

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Amazed that you are back this quickly! Really GREAT news. With the Wisconsin "3 weeks without snow" climate, thought you picked a bad time to be laid up the rest of the year. Now you can actually play some more golf and not worry about leaving a pile of feces when you pee by a tree on the course.:D

So far so good! :geek: I sprung another leak by the stitches but just have a dressing on it until it shuts up. Blood test showed no infection so I'll treat this myself. Go to the hospital and they'll want to stick an IV in me and a tube in my guts. No way. :mad:

Last edited:

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
So far so good! :geek: I sprung another leak by the stitches but just have a dressing on it until it shuts up. Blood test showed no infection so I'll treat this myself. Go to the hospital and they'll want to stick an IV in me and a tube in my guts. No way. :mad:

You sir are a modern day Rambo. Respect! [emoji110]

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
I believe WBL, I, and many from our generation grew up in a little different "medical world" than today's generations. Don't get me wrong. I am so thankful for the miracles of modern medical technology that we are so blessed with in today's world. As we were growing up, medical care was a long ways off. Medical care was pretty "backwoods". Our closest hospital was about an hour's drive away. We had no ambulance service. There was an aged country doc who practices in a small town about 30 minutes east. He had no nurse or office staff. He made house calls so if you just went to his office, he might be there or he might not. If we weren't dying we were told to just suck it up.

In 3rd grade, I fell from a playground toy. It was some years later when it was discovered I had broken my wrist. It hurt. It healed. IIRC, Mom put some "store-bought" salve on it until I quite complaining. I had two brown spider (Recluse Spider) bites while in the 8th grade. Would come home from school and Mom would squeeze the puss out of them. Next day, same thing. Those spider bites, of which I still have the scars, never saw the inside of a doctor's office.

Today we have an "urgent care" less than a half block from the house. The dog and I just got back from our afternoon stroll which takes us past one of the largest hospital/health care facilities in our State. We have quick and easy access to phenomenal care. Yet, we were told to "suck it up" and we've been too stubborn to get that out of our minds.

Our kids were raised with a very similar upbringing as were my wife and I... when it came to consulting professional care. The oldest and youngest... I can't remember either one ever seeing a doc other than for a school physical. The middle girl.... Stuck a crayon up her nose that we couldn't get out. That resulted in a trip to the doctor. She went way too high on a school swing and fell out, backwards. Knocked her out cold and the school transported her to the local hospital. Got hit in the head with a rock and needed a half-dozen or so stitches. All that was by the time she was in about the 4th grade.

Where my wife worked for some years, she could not depend on staff. If they blew their nose, they had to go see a doc. If their kid stubbed a toe, it required a day off to go to the doc. And, we have one young lady we are very close to that seems to find a reason to "need" a doctor's visit at least once/month.

WBL is amazing!!! I cannot imagine having someone messing around inside my gut, moving things around in there and gluing on patches. I most certainly cannot imagine the pain when there was a "leak" and he had to return to have the patch patched. But, he's a hard-nosed geezer who has worked hard all his life and isn't going to let a "few stitches" confine him to his recliner. I am so awed... I so much respect his desire and fortitude that "forces" him to get up and get moving. That's why a lot of us old cusses will outlive, outfight, and out play you young flat-bellies!!!! Go get 'em WBL!!!!!

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Yesterday, there were just three of us. We didn't have a "game" so none of the three were "focused". We all played horribly. We didn't keep score except in our heads. But, I wouldn't doubt I came close to the 90 number.

Today, we had a group and had a game. It was back to at least trying to find a fairway and a green. Yesterday's lack of respect for the game carried over onto my front nine of today. 44 on the front. Came back with a 40 on the back and felt much better. Did win 50 cents with my 84. Just happened to have the right partner at the right time.

Highlight of the day was #18. The one thing that had been the highlight of the day was my driving. Really hit the driver and/or the Mini well, depending on which I chose for a particular hole. Walked up to 18 tee. Instead of keeping the same nice tempo that had worked so well all day, I decided to drive a par 5!!! Swung out of my shoes. Topped the ball. Saw it go about 100 yards off the tee. The lie was good in the fairway so pulled the Mini for the second shot. Hit it well. Had a perfect 135 to the green for the third shot and pulled it left about a yard off the green. Chipping had been terrible all day. Had plenty of green to work with and just wanted to get it to the hole and save par. Watched the chip roll in the cup for a birdie 4.

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
[RANT]
I hate scrambles. Unless I am donating to a charity fund raiser or our monthly league scramble in FL (we pick our own teams), I hate scrambles. Our Thursday group (here in VA) used to be a Stabelford/Quota game. I loved it. I controlled my destiny by MY playing that day. Now we have switched to 4 man teams/captain's choice. The guy running the game does a good job picking the teams. We have about 4 "A" players in our group of 20 guys so he balances the teams pretty well. The bad news is, it takes me OUT of MY game. It's NOT golf to me. I find myself caught in situations where I am trying low percentage shots too often because the other 3 guys on my team are not playing well or can't play well. I played well enough today to break 80 and we finished at 1 under. The winning team was 8 under and 2nd place was 7 under. All I hear every week is "we made every putt we looked at!" Those same guys are on my team in the past and will be again and they can't drain a 3 footer if there was a path cut in the grass to the hole. Frustrating - I hate scrambles. I need to talk Pete into mixing the games up some.
[/RANT]

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
[RANT]
I hate scrambles. Unless I am donating to a charity fund raiser or our monthly league scramble in FL (we pick our own teams), I hate scrambles. Our Thursday group (here in VA) used to be a Stabelford/Quota game. I loved it. I controlled my destiny by MY playing that day. Now we have switched to 4 man teams/captain's choice. The guy running the game does a good job picking the teams. We have about 4 "A" players in our group of 20 guys so he balances the teams pretty well. The bad news is, it takes me OUT of MY game. It's NOT golf to me. I find myself caught in situations where I am trying low percentage shots too often because the other 3 guys on my team are not playing well or can't play well. I played well enough today to break 80 and we finished at 1 under. The winning team was 8 under and 2nd place was 7 under. All I hear every week is "we made every putt we looked at!" Those same guys are on my team in the past and will be again and they can't drain a 3 footer if there was a path cut in the grass to the hole. Frustrating - I hate scrambles. I need to talk Pete into mixing the games up some.
[/RANT]
I hate scrambles.... too!! In fact, I am really tired of being paired with someone you have no idea who is or how they play in 2-man competitions. Have had that in three recent competitions. As you say, takes you clear out of your game. Once you quit playing "your" game, things begin falling apart. I've thought long and hard about breaking a 9-iron over the head of some recent "teammates". And, I suspect they have contemplated the same. In our regular morning group, we may have some "team" competition as we 'Wolf' or go cart against cart. But, we've played long enough together where we know each other's strengths and weaknesses. To walk to the first tee in a high stress completion and you've never seen your partner hit a shot before... I hate scrambles!!!!

subsonic

Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2008
[RANT]
[/RANT]
Eat some prunes. You sound backed up.

prunes.jpg

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
I believe WBL, I, and many from our generation grew up in a little different "medical world" than today's generations. Don't get me wrong. I am so thankful for the miracles of modern medical technology that we are so blessed with in today's world. As we were growing up, medical care was a long ways off. Medical care was pretty "backwoods". Our closest hospital was about an hour's drive away. We had no ambulance service. There was an aged country doc who practices in a small town about 30 minutes east. He had no nurse or office staff. He made house calls so if you just went to his office, he might be there or he might not. If we weren't dying we were told to just suck it up.

In 3rd grade, I fell from a playground toy. It was some years later when it was discovered I had broken my wrist. It hurt. It healed. IIRC, Mom put some "store-bought" salve on it until I quite complaining. I had two brown spider (Recluse Spider) bites while in the 8th grade. Would come home from school and Mom would squeeze the puss out of them. Next day, same thing. Those spider bites, of which I still have the scars, never saw the inside of a doctor's office.

Today we have an "urgent care" less than a half block from the house. The dog and I just got back from our afternoon stroll which takes us past one of the largest hospital/health care facilities in our State. We have quick and easy access to phenomenal care. Yet, we were told to "suck it up" and we've been too stubborn to get that out of our minds.

Our kids were raised with a very similar upbringing as were my wife and I... when it came to consulting professional care. The oldest and youngest... I can't remember either one ever seeing a doc other than for a school physical. The middle girl.... Stuck a crayon up her nose that we couldn't get out. That resulted in a trip to the doctor. She went way too high on a school swing and fell out, backwards. Knocked her out cold and the school transported her to the local hospital. Got hit in the head with a rock and needed a half-dozen or so stitches. All that was by the time she was in about the 4th grade.

Where my wife worked for some years, she could not depend on staff. If they blew their nose, they had to go see a doc. If their kid stubbed a toe, it required a day off to go to the doc. And, we have one young lady we are very close to that seems to find a reason to "need" a doctor's visit at least once/month.

WBL is amazing!!! I cannot imagine having someone messing around inside my gut, moving things around in there and gluing on patches. I most certainly cannot imagine the pain when there was a "leak" and he had to return to have the patch patched. But, he's a hard-nosed geezer who has worked hard all his life and isn't going to let a "few stitches" confine him to his recliner. I am so awed... I so much respect his desire and fortitude that "forces" him to get up and get moving. That's why a lot of us old cusses will outlive, outfight, and out play you young flat-bellies!!!! Go get 'em WBL!!!!!
This is so true limp! I don't know if I'm that tough but I do know I hate hospitals. Didn't used to that much but after this fiasco I do. Haven't been playing. Too many doctor's appointments and raining. But see my ball review.

🔥 Latest posts